• Poll closed .

JoeBanks

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Sport JLU
I’m curious how many people here who have 6-spd manuals and ESS actually use ESS.
I understand how it may be useful for the automatics but personally I turn it off as soon as I hop in my Jeep.
Sponsored

Deleted member 59498

Mine rarely kicks in, drive through getting a burger sometimes. Lights are not that long so rarely neutral with clutch out.

pangmaster

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLR
Occupation
Enterprise architect
Vehicle Showcase
I keep it off by default with my Tazer, though sometimes I use it when I'm not moving for a while (waiting @ train crossing, drive-thru, etc). But that is rare.

Rugradu8

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Wrangler TJ
I usually drive with it on. Between the wind noise and my radio, i don't usually notice the engine cutting off and on.

Sponsored

Sidspider

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7, 2021 JLU Willys
The ESS usually doesn’t bother me. By the time I’ve got my foot back on the clutch the engine has fired back up. Occasionally if I start to lift my foot off the clutch and a light changes the engine doesn’t turn back over, I assume because I didn’t take my foot off the pedal in between. This drives me nuts because I think I’ve stalled out.

Jeepney Johnny

First Name
Rico!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
When I get in my Jeep, there are so many steps, it's like a pre-flight checklist:

1) Take phone out of back pocket.
2) Climb in.
3) Plug in phone.
4) Depress clutch.
5) Push Button to Start.
6) Take it out of gear.
7) Check AUX4 DRLs are on (sometimes the On-With-Ignition setting doesn't work).
8) Hit ESS de-activation button.
9) Yell "Yee-HA!"
10) Honk horn (odd months are set for Dixie tune; even months are set for La Cucaracha).
11) Take a look for pedestrians.
12) Honk horn again, if pedestrians are cute women or children.
14) Release parking break.
15) Roll slowly out of driveway.

And I left out the whole rigamarole of choosing what's on the "entertainment sound system" also can be called ESS?! Feels weird to call it a "radio" anymore.

JeepinPete

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR, '95 Land Cruiser
I rarely turn mine off. If it is a short stop, I just keep the clutch pedal depressed. If it is long light, the engine shuts down, and then I shift into first. No need to keep my foot on the brakes. Then when the lights is ready to change, press in the clutch, the engine fires up, and off I go. IMO ESS works better on the 6 spd than the automatic.

Pete

linux_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 6-speed manual, 2011 Compass 5-speed manual
I hate when it turns on as I arrive home and pull into the carport and open door.
And when it turns off right before a light turns green. When light change to green seems likely soon, I usually keep clutch in.

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
Mine rarely kicks in, drive through getting a burger sometimes. Lights are not that long so rarely neutral with clutch out.
Same here.....

Sponsored

Dewey7015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 door, hardtop, 6 speed.
i was always taught to keep it in gear, with the clutch in, at a red light. That way you can get out of the way, if something happens...
i am looking into how to bypass it...i think you need 10 gauge wire, with a 40 amp fuse holder between N1-N2....think...lol

zdr

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon V6 6-Speed Manual
Always turn it off upon starting vehicle. I hate when I forget to, still getting used to it.

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Athletic trainer & Massage therapist
Vehicle Showcase
I usually turn mine off. I do forget at times but I rarely ever sit at a light without the clutch engaged. If I do happen to be sitting for awhile I remember real quick and disengage it.

openingshok

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Grand Cherokee Limited X | 2024 JLUR 2.0T AT
Occupation
Headshot Photographer
I’m curious how many people here who have 6-spd manuals and ESS actually use ESS.
I understand how it may be useful for the automatics but personally I turn it off as soon as I hop in my Jeep.
I keep the clutch in at intersections so I don't turn it off, but it never activates either:) Best of both worlds!!

OP
OP
JoeBanks

JoeBanks

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Sport JLU
Always turn it off upon starting vehicle. I hate when I forget to, still getting used to it.
Yep. That’s me too. Only had mine for two weeks…loving the Jeep, not so much the ESS.
I usually remember to turn it off but still sometimes forget. Only time it kicks in is when I pick my kids up from school and have to sit in the car line. 🙄
Sponsored