ESS and 8.4 Dash Problems

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I am having serious problems with my 2018 3.6l. First two days ago I got a “service stop start” message on the dash. Then my auto park would randomly engage.

I tested both batteries yesterday and they are reading 12.5 volts off and 13-14 running. I disconnected both batteries from each other and left them disconnected over night to see if anything would change. This AM they both read 12.5. When I started the Jeep the 8.4 system controls looked different and radio wasn’t working right (Xm radio didn’t show up).So I shut it off and restarted it and everything worked fine except all presets were gone.

After work I took the Jeep to get both batteries load tested. Both tested fine but the guy at the auto parts store said that the aux battery read as only being 75% charged but it load tested fine. I reconnected everything and drove home only to find the reverse camera now won’t come on, in fact there isn’t even a button on the 8.4 for it anymore. The off-road pages ap is gone. Xm isn’t there. Heated seat buttons are gone. Even weirder the AC only reads MAX and LOW and no settings in between.

I am at a total loss. I tried a hard reset with fuse F11 and nothing changed. I tried disconnecting the batteries for awhile and when I reconnected the same scenario as above. It’s like it gets worse and worse by the day.

FYI it’s out of warranty and I don’t really wanna start buying parts without a game plan. I have checked to see if all fuses are pushed down and looked at grounds. Is the little battery causing all of this? HELP!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Dr3wDrop

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Okay. So strange. I went out to take pictures of everything and now the 8.4 looks normal. All apps are back and backup camera comes on in reverse. Xm is available now.

The Service Stop Start is the only thing that remains.

C8111A85-BAD7-4AD0-99DC-3688DBBA13F9.jpeg

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Okay. So strange. I went out to take pictures of everything and now the 8.4 looks normal. All apps are back and backup camera comes on in reverse. Xm is available now.

The Service Stop Start is the only thing that remains.

Jeep Wrangler JL ESS and 8.4 Dash Problems C8111A85-BAD7-4AD0-99DC-3688DBBA13F9
@Dr3wDrop

Stop dancing with that JL.... your 2018 Main and Aux batteries have aged out. Replace both batteries.

What you saw with Camera and ORP is typical behavior after 12v kill.

OP
OP
Dr3wDrop

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
@Dr3wDrop

Stop dancing with that JL.... your 2018 Main and Aux batteries have aged out. Replace both batteries.

What you saw with Camera and ORP is typical behavior after 12v kill.
Thanks for the insight. Crazy that the batteries only lasted 3 years. Would there be any harm in replacing the aux battery first?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Thanks for the insight. Crazy that the batteries only lasted 3 years. Would there be any harm in replacing the aux battery first?
@Dr3wDrop

The batteries are hooked up in parallel.... Keep in mind the old adage.... one bad apple spoils the bunch...

With that said do replace both batteries. You can do quite easily yourself and with very good batteries for about $320.00 +- total. Naah, do not just replace the Aux. battery.

And............ no not crazy at all....... those 2018 OEM batteries have / are aging out... are not healthy.. Many 2018 owner's have seen their batteries age out / become unserviceable.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
My 2018 Sahara has only 7,500 but the batteries still needed replacing right at 3 years.

BTW, you need to have 4L engaged for the Offroad Pages to load.

OP
OP
Dr3wDrop

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I know battery opinions are like other things, but should I go with a Super Start Platinum 94R or a Odyssey 48? They are $5 difference in price.

The jeep has the larger battery now with the tow package.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I drove to O’reilys, they looked up the exact batteries I needed, they checked their inventory, had them in stock, pulled them out; I paid for them, took them home and spent the next 3 hours replacing the 2 batteries.

Paid $299 for the large battery and $107 for the auxiliary battery; both Super Start.

Easy peasy.

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Also when disconnecting the batteries to replace check the IBS connector where it plugs into the IBS module and also check the data cable, the connector can not be sealed and can lightly corrode and prevent the data being sent back to the ECM/ECU and once your all done changing batteries the IBS needs to see 5-7 normal restarts with 8 hrs off time between each cycle before it relearns so my suggestion is fully charge the batteries before making that final connection.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dr3wDrop

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Okay so I replaced both batteries. Service stop start light is still on. Does it just need time to reset?

410206E3-DA7C-43C6-8432-184BB8BA555F.jpeg

WranglerMan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sahara
Occupation
Gas Pipeliner
Vehicle Showcase
Okay so I replaced both batteries. Service stop start light is still on. Does it just need time to reset?

410206E3-DA7C-43C6-8432-184BB8BA555F.jpeg
If you are running with the stock setup…full size crank batt and baby ESS make sure they are fully charged and my suggestion would be charge them separately, those smaller inexpensive tenders IMHO are ok to use once the batteries are fully charged but they don‘t move enough current thru the batteries to do the initial charge, my suggestion is a NOCO 5 charging separately and a NOCO 10 if you choose to leave them connected.

The IBS takes time to learn the charging pattern and it needs 5-7 normal starts with 8-10 hrs off time before a base is established per BOSCH.

I recently went thru all my connections on my battery system and cleaned and tightened everything and also repaired some issues that needed to be addressed with the IBS and after doing all that and resetting the IBS and doing the recommended starts and resting between after i normally see 13.5-14+ volts after it’s been parked for 10-12 hrs but after a 30 min drive it’s down in the low 13’s and the regen charging works as designed, my system is a tad slower to charge since I have two full size batteries and the smaller alternator but still manages to keep up if i do my part with maint charging.

Also if you have a meter check the voltage of each battery separately, ESS normally is not ready for various reasons and one of them is the ESS battery is not up to the correct voltage as the IBS looks at this function and automatically disables it so it won’t leave you stuck during as ESS event.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dr3wDrop

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Got to charge the brand new batteries for 5 hours at my parents house Sunday. ESS light is still on today. Hope it goes away before my wedding/honeymoon this weekend where Jeep will sit still for 15 days.

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
Got to charge the brand new batteries for 5 hours at my parents house Sunday. ESS light is still on today. Hope it goes away before my wedding/honeymoon this weekend where Jeep will sit still for 15 days.
Are they all charged up or did you get some that were on the shelf for months or years?

Did you reset the codes?

OP
OP
Dr3wDrop

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
Are they all charged up or did you get some that were on the shelf for months or years?

Did you reset the codes?
the small batter had a 6/21 sticker and the big battery was 9/21. They were all charged up sitting at 13.5 volts.

Good idea on trying to reset the code. I guessed the jeep would do it on its own
Sponsored