eSAVE Mode Temporarily Unavailable

madmax1618

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Sting Gray JLUR 4xe, 99 Chili Pepper Red XJ
I've seen quite a bit about electric mode unavailable, FORM and all that, but I was a little confused today when my Jeep told me that eSAVE Mode was temporarily unavailable. Weird that it would protest running just the ICE.

Anybody else experienced this?
Sponsored

laroo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe
I've seen quite a bit about electric mode unavailable, FORM and all that, but I was a little confused today when my Jeep told me that eSAVE Mode was temporarily unavailable. Weird that it would protest running just the ICE.

Anybody else experienced this?
Was your battery above 95%? You can't charge until you're below that number, and you can't charge higher than 95 using esave. I don't remember ever seeing that message though.

OP
OP
madmax1618

madmax1618

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Was your battery above 95%? You can't charge until you're below that number, and you can't charge higher than 95 using esave. I don't remember ever seeing that message though.
Battery was ~30%. I'd just driven about 15 miles in Hybrid mode on the freeway so engine was on and off and warmed up. Stopped at the store, got back in and thought I'd save a little battery for tomorrow, tried eSAVE then it happened. Tried electric, which worked fine, then tried eSAVE 2 more times before it finally stuck.

Mgg253

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Watching - keep us up to date! First Iā€™ve heard it

laroo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR 4xe
Weird... Maybe just a glitch, or maybe some rare condition in the hybrid software. I don't think I'd worry about it too much unless it continues to happen. But I've never seen that in my 4xe.

Sponsored

OP
OP
madmax1618

madmax1618

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Watching - keep us up to date! First Iā€™ve heard it
Will do.

Weird... Maybe just a glitch, or maybe some rare condition in the hybrid software. I don't think I'd worry about it too much unless it continues to happen. But I've never seen that in my 4xe.
Probably a glitch, yeah. Maybe heat related, it was 105 out and heat has caused a few other glitches in the past.

Bmeister

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe, 2012 JK, 2011 WK2 5.7
Probably a glitch, yeah. Maybe heat related, it was 105 out and heat has caused a few other glitches in the past.
If the battery was heat soaked and its cooling system hasn't had enough time to cool it to a good range to enable charging, that could cause that message. True for any lithium pack. Atmoshperic temp is not necessarily the same as battery temp. The good thing about this is Jeep engineers have thought about the system preserving itself from harm for longevity.

Skyward

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 JL
Mine is a week old, and otherwise flawless, but ran into this yesterday. Only happened once, and no other issues so I'm not too concerned yet. Watching this thread

sentience

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Lexus GX, 2021 JLU Sahara 4xe
Occupation
bureaucrat@gov
Thatā€™s a new one. Definitely worth mentioning at your next oil change, or before if it re-occurs.

Fenny

First Name
Fenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 jeep wrangler JLU Willys 4xe, 2021 volvo xc90
My 4xe experienced this issue today. I had taken my Jeep to Vermont to do some off roading And the battery was around 87% and I was in esave with battery charging. The issue happened while the outside temp Was about 75. I was on a long slow trail when it happened the Jeep switched to hybrid mode. After finishing the trail and back on the road and moving I was able to switch back into esave without any further issue. The only thing I can figure out is that one of the electronic cooling systems must have gotten too hot without enough air flow through the radiator on a slow moving trail.

Sponsored

OP
OP
madmax1618

madmax1618

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My 4xe experienced this issue today. I had taken my Jeep to Vermont to do some off roading And the battery was around 87% and I was in esave with battery charging. The issue happened while the outside temp Was about 75. I was on a long slow trail when it happened the Jeep switched to hybrid mode. After finishing the trail and back on the road and moving I was able to switch back into esave without any further issue. The only thing I can figure out is that one of the electronic cooling systems must have gotten too hot without enough air flow through the radiator on a slow moving trail.
I agree, I think heat is the culprit. I will say that it has not happened again. Though I have had a dozen software updates and a replacement battery heater module since then, so one of those could have solved it. I have had a few other weird things happen, and they were likely heat related too.

I've also found that certain situations where the engine idles or runs constantly at low speeds for a long time cause what I assume to be the clutches in the transmission to get hot. Smells like a slipping clutch for a minute when I get park and get out.

azjl#3

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sarge Green JLR
I am sure glad we have brave folks like you all testing the e vehicles. Seriously, thanks.

Fenny

First Name
Fenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 jeep wrangler JLU Willys 4xe, 2021 volvo xc90
i also noticed a smell of something hot earlier in the day but had no dash lights come on and all the gauges were in the normal range. We just drove to the top of mount equinox In hybrid mode and noticed the smell after getting out of our Jeep. I couldnā€™t trace the smell then but heated clutch sounds plausible. i thought heat soak was a thing of the past. I didnā€˜t realize the 4xe was a retro wrangler. šŸ˜

PatriotX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4xe
I am sure glad we have brave folks like you all testing the e vehicles. Seriously, thanks.
Youā€™re welcome.

Seriously, itā€™s been a trouble-free pleasure.

I canā€™t imagine the hell the early Pentastar owners went through, after reading the forum hereā€¦.I feel good that I chose a more reliable platform.

OP
OP
madmax1618

madmax1618

First Name
Taylor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Happy to be a guinea pig. It's a pain in the ass sometimes, but mostly is a great Jeep. Honestly it's mostly a regular wrangler with a few more complicated bits, and EV tech has come a long way in the last 5 years.
Sponsored