EPA MPG numbers published for 2.0L Turbo Wrangler JL

Taurus14

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sahara turbo firecracker red
Very true and I expect to have absolutely stellar MPG driving flat roads and steady speeds.
So where is delivery now that they have mpg
Sponsored

PatrickKiser

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Butt Scratcher
So with the turbo, DI, BSG, and an added $1,000 you can pick up 1 MPG highway and 2 MPG combined? And that's on premium fuel, which is typically a half-dollar more per gallon? Sounds like a horrendous deal to me.

But, it will be fun to see if these engines end up being tuneable like Ford's EcoBoost family. That's the only thing they'll be good for...giving the tuning community something to play with on the road/track.
I'm so glad I ordered my 2018 2dr Rubicon with the proven 3.6 v6. Lately, have you noticed how high gas prices have really risen? I was going to try a tank of Premium gas in my 2018 Ford Escape with the 2.0 Ecoboost to see if my mpg would improve by one or two mpg but when I saw the cost of premium gas was 80 cents per gallon more than regular, well that killed that idea. We're talking like $12 more per tank of gas! Being required to use Premium gas is a deal breaker for me.

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
I believe premium is supposed to be about 8% more but varies. Gas Buddy (or something like that) might be an invaluable app when filling up with this option. It is what it is.

rodhotter

First Name
bernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 chevy colorado 2001 audi TT 225Q
i call BS on the local mpg's + if you live in hilly terrain it will be even worse!! the low end torque "should" make it a joy to drive + prolly encourage you to get on it!!! tanking any mpg improvements but putting a smile on your face!!!

PatrickKiser

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Butt Scratcher
I believe premium is supposed to be about 8% more but varies. Gas Buddy (or something like that) might be an invaluable app when filling up with this option. It is what it is.
I live outside Chicago in the far western suburbs and yesterday when I filled up, regular was $2.99 per gallon and premium was $3.79 per gallon and that was the lowest price around at Thornton's. I use Gas Buddy all the time.

Sponsored

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
I live outside Chicago in the far western suburbs and yesterday when I filled up, regular was $2.99 per gallon and premium was $3.79 per gallon and that was the lowest price around at Thornton's. I use Gas Buddy all the time.
Wow. I’ve never seen more than ?0.30 from premium to regular. Going to start watching regular to see how it goes.

Having said that. What exactly happens when you run this 2.0 on regular? Any have actual experience with small turbo engines on other vehicles? I believe by default turbo goes to premium. Less power? Less mpg? Less longevity? This is all new to me.

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Actually. It’s not that bad. I can live with spending an extra $250 per year. My assumptions didn’t change from last I ran this. I’m going to run assuming regular is $4 and same percentage delta on premium. See how bad that goes.

C7A1F549-23E5-40EC-963D-20BD0FF7AE88.png

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Did a $4 regular assumption plus 17.85% for premium assuming it’s not always a straight $0.50 difference and delta is still only $250 comparatively to 3.6. If it’s a straight $0.50 than as price rises the difference shrinks because the percentage between the two shrinks. At that point you actually save $500 over 3.6.

What remains the same in both scenarios is fuel used. Assuming I did 100% city. At 18k per annum the gallon used for 2.0 would be 818 vs 3.6 at 1000. That’s a 19% savings. If one mostly travels highway than the 3.6 makes better sense. Now we are talking 750 vs 782 (or 4%). Less need for instant torque at start takes that fun away and It’s a box. Then only difference might be speed. Faster you go the more juice needed and less engine might sip less. I don’t know. Wish there were an app that took speed into account. That would be interesting. Sorry to geek out. Lol

5CE77B28-0670-4D05-BBA7-F04562C8FFB4.png

PatrickKiser

First Name
Pat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Butt Scratcher
Wow. I’ve never seen more than ?0.30 from premium to regular. Going to start watching regular to see how it goes.

Having said that. What exactly happens when you run this 2.0 on regular? Any have actual experience with small turbo engines on other vehicles? I believe by default turbo goes to premium. Less power? Less mpg? Less longevity? This is all new to me.
Fr

All new vehicles have their engine timing, fuel delivery, etc., controlled by computers. When you use regular fuel, the computer compensates for the lower octane by adjusting those. The negative part is, by the computer compensating for the lower grade fuel, your engine will not make as much power (picture the 3.6 V6 wizzing on by you), your clock times will increase, and your mpg will usually increase as well. I've had many turbocharged cars starting way back with the 1984 Pontiac Turbo 2000 Sunfire SE, a Buick Regal GS (Supercharged), and even a 2003 Mitsubishi Evolution (kick ass car), so I know about turbocharging. I actually prefer Supercharging and have been considering installing the Edelbrock E-Force Supercharger on my 2013 10A Rubicon. That engine set up would just run circles around any Jeep factory engine option except the TrackHawk which you can't take offroad. That vehicle is basically a Hellcat in different Jeep clothing. I recently owned a BMW 335xi that required premium fuel as it was turbocharged as well. Loved the car, it's everything great that you read about, except the maintenance costs will eat you alive. Everytime I took my BMW in for service, I spent a minimum of $1100 EVERY TIME! I traded that BMW for the 2018 Ford Escape Titanium with the 2.0 turbo and have been totally happy ever since.
Now I'm just waiting for my new Rubicon to be built.
Oh, I forgot to mention that I've had NOS setups on some of my cars as well. Fantastic performance but the bitch is you have to refill and pay for, the nitrous. That got old fast. I sure had a blast with my car running on nitrous though. Maybe that would be something to consider on the 3.6?

Sponsored

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
NOS and super chargers I grasp. Turbos. Not at all. In my mind I keep thinking it acts like a super charger.

My FJ ran on regular but performed considerably better on premium. Only reason I changed because another owner told me that was the only way to get best performance and mileage. I was previously running on mid grade. Did see a difference.

Wouldn’t the 3.6 improve with premium? I’m assuming it would based on my FJ since it was rated for regular yet improved on premium. If it does than what are the mpg?

Another member posted the possibility that the improved performance might come from the BSG. Which the 3.6 is supposedly getting for 2019. That would make the delta in performance swing. As far as the sensation. You still get more torque from the 2.0 and as I’m understanding it the ability to increase that with tuning to a higher increase than on the 3.6. I could be wrong.

kiwi

Threads
Reaction score
Now add a battery pack next year and the JLU will fly. My BMW 225xe goes from 7.5 seconds engine only to 5.8 0-62mph using both engine and battery together. I will wait another 2 years before I'll look at buying.

Joe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Fr

All new vehicles have their engine timing, fuel delivery, etc., controlled by computers. When you use regular fuel, the computer compensates for the lower octane by adjusting those. The negative part is, by the computer compensating for the lower grade fuel, your engine will not make as much power (picture the 3.6 V6 wizzing on by you), your clock times will increase, and your mpg will usually increase as well. I've had many turbocharged cars starting way back with the 1984 Pontiac Turbo 2000 Sunfire SE, a Buick Regal GS (Supercharged), and even a 2003 Mitsubishi Evolution (kick ass car), so I know about turbocharging. I actually prefer Supercharging and have been considering installing the Edelbrock E-Force Supercharger on my 2013 10A Rubicon. That engine set up would just run circles around any Jeep factory engine option except the TrackHawk which you can't take offroad. That vehicle is basically a Hellcat in different Jeep clothing. I recently owned a BMW 335xi that required premium fuel as it was turbocharged as well. Loved the car, it's everything great that you read about, except the maintenance costs will eat you alive. Everytime I took my BMW in for service, I spent a minimum of $1100 EVERY TIME! I traded that BMW for the 2018 Ford Escape Titanium with the 2.0 turbo and have been totally happy ever since.
Now I'm just waiting for my new Rubicon to be built.
Oh, I forgot to mention that I've had NOS setups on some of my cars as well. Fantastic performance but the bitch is you have to refill and pay for, the nitrous. That got old fast. I sure had a blast with my car running on nitrous though. Maybe that would be something to consider on the 3.6?
I had a supercharged LT1 Fbody and would never consider centrifugal for a jeep, not even a roots style twin screw...still directly related to engine RPM and less efficient as well.

56nomad56

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ocean Blue JLU Sahara
Checked prices today. Ladera Ranch, CA ARCO:

Regular (87): $3.69
Mid (89): $3.79
Premium (91): $3.89

Difference of $0.20/gallon is an increase of 5.4%. As some others posted, paying an extra 70-80 cents per gallon for premium would not make financial sense. If premium stays $0.20/gallon higher than regular, as gas prices increase the difference in percentage decreases and the 2.0T is easier to justify w/ regards to efficiency (obviously only one of the factors to consider).

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
2.0 gets 33% better city mileage. That’s significant. Unless you don’t spend much time city driving. I do. Linear low end torque. Priceless.

Only better option I’m seeing is diesel. Still trying to figure that one out, however.
Sponsored