Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
So... $1000. more, must use premium gas, weighs more and is missing a couple cylinders. I'm pretty happy with the V6 in our Rubicon.
I get better than 23 mpg around here on the island. (which is mostly highway/ cruise control driving this time of year) My wife gets 22+ because she doesn't use the cruise control. The V6 JL hauls azz when you put your foot into it passing out slower traffic. Comparing the Rubi to our GC with the similar V6 and 8 speed auto I actually thing the Wrangler version of the V6's HP rating is underrated in both torque and HP. Possibly done just to promote the 4 cylinder???
Only a side by side chassis or hub dyno comparison could confirm that though...
Those 4.10 Axles are good for acceleration eh?

I expect the 2.0 will have a very different power delivery than the V6 because if it was the same, then there'd be no point in it. Just put the BSG on the V6 if that was the case.
Sponsored

MotoMax

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2020 Jeep Grandcherokee
Occupation
Do nothing bum Retired

I expect the 2.0 will have a very different power delivery than the V6 because if it was the same, then there'd be no point in it. Just put the BSG on the V6 if that was the case.
Yeah, forced induction kinda does that to a motor!

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
So according to Fueleconomy.gov you'll never go on the highway with your 2.0 wrangler? I find their "Combined" ratings to be laughable. I look at the Highway numbers mainly, as the city and combined ratings are very very subjective to where you live. Los Angeles Traffic is different than New York Traffic is different than Winston-Salem, NC Traffic.
No, according to Fueleconomy.gov you'll go on the highway 45% of the time with a 1mpg gain. Read the notes on the bottom of the image.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
No, according to Fueleconomy.gov you'll go on the highway 45% of the time with a 1mpg gain. Read the notes on the bottom of the image.
At 45% highway driving, you should see better than just the city rating on the combined then. Also still very subjective based off of where you live.

kre62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Granite
That Cherokee does NOT have the ETorque system that the Wrangler does. HUGE difference! Electric motor torque is 100% available from 1 rpm to max rpm. Gas powered Torque is variably available when rpm is in the torque curve usually starting at ~1500 rpm, peaking at ~2500 rpm. Look at the specs on the same engine when placed in the Alfa Romeo Giuila, which is where FCA sourced it from. The numbers for HP and torque are slightly higher in the Wrangler.
He didn't test a cherokee. He drove a 2.0T JL with BSG. His comments are JL vs JL, the very same 2.0t seemingly worshipped in this forum by yourself and others. I have news for you: it won't end up being much, if at all, faster than the V6.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
He didn't test a cherokee. He drove a 2.0T JL with BSG. His comments are JL vs JL, the very same 2.0t seemingly worshipped in this forum by yourself and others. I have news for you: it won't end up being much, if at all, faster than the V6.
I think he was referring to you driving the cherokee instead of the video.

JeepJLNC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Ioniq Plug-in Hybrid
Okay so I'm pretty sure the test vehicle was a Sport with All Season tires. What happens when you start adding the bigger Dana 44 Axles and All Terrain 33" Tires? MPG Is probably under 20 city again...

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Okay so I'm pretty sure the test vehicle was a Sport with All Season tires. What happens when you start adding the bigger Dana 44 Axles and All Terrain 33" Tires? MPG Is probably under 20 city again...
It will be the same as the V6 test then, sport with all seasons. Add the 4.10s and 33" tires with the Rubicon and yes you'll see somewhat of a drop with either engine.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
It will be the same as the V6 test then, sport with all seasons. Add the 4.10s and 33" tires with the Rubicon and yes you'll see somewhat of a drop with either engine.
Heh, well surviving the haters is also key in here.

Sponsored

JLU_rubi18!

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep SRT Red Vapor, 2015 Jeep GC High Altitude Hemi 4x4
Faster is a subjective term. Pure 0-60 times or 1/4 mile run in a Wrangler wont mean much to anyone in here. its the driveability both on and off road that people are looking for. I think, subjectively, that 90+% of the reviews on the web plus people Ive spoken with personally have pointed to the 2.0 being a superior option. You are the first person Ive heard say you were underwhelmed.

I also drive a 475HP 2015 Jeep SRT GC. I can tell you I got out of my vehicle and into a JL Rubicon with the 3.6 for a test drive, ( which I owned in a previous 2012 JKU ) and it felt like there was a boat anchor attached to the back of it.

Aside from the fleet MPG improvements, small displacement forced induction engines offer a big advantage over their NA larger displacement counterparts. Its not all about 285hp vs 270 hp or this torque vs that torque. Its about how that power is delivered and at what RPM.

You're right the 2.0 may only do 0-60 in 6.4 vs the V6 doing it in 6.5 or 6.6...but around town and off road Ill take that instant BSG torque and lower RPM torque any day.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Is there an overall weight savings going with the turbo 4 over the V6?
No, there's a weight penalty.

The Pentastar has one of the flattest torque curves in the class. The Hurricane will have to be REALLY impressive down low to beat it. It's possible, but I want to see accurate dyno curves on both engines first.

NEO Bill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
Actually I am waiting for the diesel to come out. I just wish the start - stop requirement would go away but that will never happen.

Jamaiquino36

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Camry
True, that's a factor. But it's certainly not because the 2.0 is a magical engine that'll blow the doors off a 3.6. That's all I'm saying. The 2.0 is also heavier because of the complicated systems added to it to achieve those power and MPG numbers. I just don't see it smoking any other JL in a 1/4 mile race.

But, it won't be long now until there are lots of drag race videos online comparing the two, for those who are interested in performance.
But this has already been done. They have already gotten a 0-60 time for the JL 2.0 and JL v6. 2.0 dusted them.

That One Guy

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Honda Accord coupe, V6 6-speed manual; ordered 2018 JL Sport 6MT with A/C and anti-spin. D status.
Faster is a subjective term. Pure 0-60 times or 1/4 mile run in a Wrangler wont mean much to anyone in here. its the driveability both on and off road that people are looking for. I think, subjectively, that 90+% of the reviews on the web plus people Ive spoken with personally have pointed to the 2.0 being a superior option. You are the first person Ive heard say you were underwhelmed.

I also drive a 475HP 2015 Jeep SRT GC. I can tell you I got out of my vehicle and into a JL Rubicon with the 3.6 for a test drive, ( which I owned in a previous 2012 JKU ) and it felt like there was a boat anchor attached to the back of it.

Aside from the fleet MPG improvements, small displacement forced induction engines offer a big advantage over their NA larger displacement counterparts. Its not all about 285hp vs 270 hp or this torque vs that torque. Its about how that power is delivered and at what RPM.

You're right the 2.0 may only do 0-60 in 6.4 vs the V6 doing it in 6.5 or 6.6...but around town and off road Ill take that instant BSG torque and lower RPM torque any day.
A lot of people overlook this. Low and mid-range torque is why you would choose to buy this engine. For just driving around town without flooring it, this thing is gonna move at lower rpms, burn less fuel, and provide more torque--in ranges where you care in a daily driver, like 1000-3500rpm. Punching it on a highway onramp or 70mph passing maneuver is not the main draw of this engine, and drivers need wide open throttle far, far less often than they need the thing to just normally go at a stoplight.
Sponsored