First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
What is it with Jeeps and haters? When Wrangler went four door the world was ending. My YJ was crap to CJ guys. That one actually was true.

Now 2.0L is creating the new hate wave. I might get one just to piss 3.6 guys off. Lol Was going for better city mileage and available low end torque the rare times I go off-road but feeding the haters might be even better. Imagine the joy those Unlimited bold buyers must of felt driving around town knowing they were being scuffed at and no wave hellos. Today they out number those haters and out number two doors making one wonder why do they still make two doors. :) Just playing. Hopefully all know. Lol
Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
What is it with Jeeps and haters? When Wrangler went four door the world was ending. My YJ was crap to CJ guys. That one actually was true.

Now 2.0L is creating the new hate wave. I might get one just to piss 3.6 guys off. Lol Was going for better city mileage and available low end torque the rare times I go off-road but feeding the haters might be even better. Imagine the joy those Unlimited bold buyers must of felt driving around town knowing they were being scuffed at and no wave hellos. Today they out number those haters and out number two doors making one wonder why do they still make two doors. :) Just playing. Hopefully all know. Lol
The 2.0 has more power and torqe than any CJ ever had too. ;)

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
The 2.0 has more power and torqe than any CJ ever had too. ;)
True that but those CJs with 35 looked real bad ass regardless how fast. However, I wouldn't of enjoyed running around town in one of them. Me thinks these JL 2.0 will be a blast. I have to be realistic about expectations and all indications show 2.0 filling that goal. Spend way too much time red light to red light, unfortunately. :(

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired

Yep, they hated when the CJ went away. They were positively apolectic the one year the Wrangler had square headlights. They went bonkers when the 4.0L straight six was replaced with the 3.8L "minivan engine." Round and round and round it goes . . . :)

FWIW, I went with the 3.6L because (1) it's a proven powerplant and (2) I wanted a naturally aspirated engine that runs happily on regular unleaded pump gas.

Sponsored

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
Better mileage is not the issue. We all welcome better mileage. The problem is thinking you're saving money with better mileage when you're actually spending more in the long run. The gain is not significant enough for the premium you will be paying and that's what upsets me. Just one big gimmick to appeal to the EU customer base and you're all falling for it.

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Better mileage between refills is huge for me. If it truly gets 4 mpg better city that’s an extra day. My current round trip is 60. Sometimes 160. Plus after work errands. If I can go a full week between fills I don’t care if it costs more. Those 160 do have more highway. Would be nice there to fill every other day versus on return day two.

Putting the calculator away and just focusing on why many buy a Jeep and cost doesn’t matter. Sounds like that 2.0 will be more fun stop to stop. Isn’t it more about smiles than just miles?

Truth is my current Hemi SUV is way more comfortable and lots of fun to drive but it’s still not a Jeep. I miss my YJ and according to many that wasn’t actually a Jeep. Imagine how much fun I will have buzzing soccer moms on the new and improved box with punchy 2.0. I might just add a big 2.0L Turbo sticker to piss them off. :)

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Personally as a JKUR owner, I could careless if I spend more on the engine and gas, AS LONG AS DRIVEABILTY IMPROVES. I have been using the Pentstar for the last 5 years and while I know the new 8 speed makes a huge difference I can tell you right now it wont be enough to keep me in a Jeep. I really hope the 2.0T is great driving engine and that the diesel is even better (Im waiting on the diesel personally,....... yes even with DEF, higher costs, higher fuel costs, blah, blah, blah).

Last edited:

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Personally as a JKUR owner, I could careless if I send more on the engine and gas, AS LONG AS DRIVEABILTY IMPROVES. I have been using the Pentstar for the last 5 years and while I know the new 8 speed makes a huge difference I can tell you right now it wont be enough to keep in a Jeep. I really hope the 2.0T is great driving engine and that the diesel is even better (Im waiting on the diesel personally,....... yes even with DEF, higher costs, higher fuel costs, blah, blah, blah).
Exactly. Plus if cost is that important than one might consider resale value. To those who want s Jeep that increased useable torque may have higher appeal at resale. I’m thinking that diesel must. I could be wrong.

Sponsored

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Better mileage is not the issue. We all welcome better mileage. The problem is thinking you're saving money with better mileage when you're actually spending more in the long run. The gain is not significant enough for the premium you will be paying and that's what upsets me. Just one big gimmick to appeal to the EU customer base and you're all falling for it.
To a lot of us its not even about fuel savings, as I'm paying more for my auto loan now than I did with my trade that I bought used. Its what we decide to buy in our free market that you and I have both defended.

Also, I still think you're holding on to the fueleconomy.gov ESTIMATES like its going to be that way exactly for everyone everywhere. Fuel costs will fluctuate, Maniac drivers will get 12 MPG with their heavy foot, Fuel misers will get 30 MPG with their light foot. It will all be dependant on where you drive it, in what conditions you drive it, and how heavy your foot is on the accelerator with either engine.

Bottom line, regardless of engine a wide open throttle will burn a lot of fuel.

Majestic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKUR, 2019 JLUR
I'm thinking the overall ownership cost of the 2.0 and beta testing experience, will far outweigh the perceived benefits of more torque and modest acceleration.

Joe

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
To a lot of us its not even about fuel savings, as I'm paying more for my auto loan now than I did with my trade that I bought used. Its what we decide to buy in our free market that you and I have both defended.

Also, I still think you're holding on to the fueleconomy.gov ESTIMATES like its going to be that way exactly for everyone everywhere. Fuel costs will fluctuate, Maniac drivers will get 12 MPG with their heavy foot, Fuel misers will get 30 MPG with their light foot. It will all be dependant on where you drive it, in what conditions you drive it, and how heavy your foot is on the accelerator with either engine.

Bottom line, regardless of engine a wide open throttle will burn a lot of fuel.
Very true and I expect to have absolutely stellar MPG driving flat roads and steady speeds.

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
I recall Jeepers claiming the 8 speed trans would be useless for off-road before ever being on pavement in a Jeep. Never thought a measly 4 banger would get so much hate. Lol
Sponsored