Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
LOL..why would it? There is no way to get "caught" because we don't even do emissions testing on diesels in my state. The first thing we did to our WK2 diesel was tune it and remove all the emissions crap. It now gets over 30mpg and runs like a bat out of Hell. No this will not change anything. Thank god. Screw the EPA, they have done more to f*ck over the US than any of our enemies.

Sponsored

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
LOL..why would it? There is no way to get "caught" because we don't even do emissions testing on diesels in my state. The first thing we did to our WK2 diesel was tune it and remove all the emissions crap. It now gets over 30mpg and runs like a bat out of Hell. No this will not change anything. Thank god. Screw the EPA, they have done more to f*ck over the US than any of our enemies.
Yeah, f*ck the elderly and young people with health issues! Wish we still had lead in our fuel

CanAmMick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring
Occupation
USAF Retired Helicopter mechanic
Yes it will, if the EPA gets their way. I worked for a diesel tuning company for about 8 years. We had what was considered on road and off road tunes. The on road tunes kept all the emission equipment on the truck, but since it was not certified by the EPA, it was still illegal.

The Clean Air Act requires new engines and equipment sold or distributed in the United States to be certified to meet EPA-established emissions requirements to protect public health and the environment from air pollution. The Act and its implementing regulations also contain various requirements concerning testing, reporting, recordkeeping, warranty, labeling, tampering, defeat devices, and vehicle and engine maintenance and ALTERATIONS. EPA enforces the vehicle and engine provisions of Title II of the Clean Air Act and regulations at 40 C. F. R. Parts 85, 86, 88 through 94, 600, and 1033 through 1068.

Not many companies that sell aftermarket engine products have them tested and certified to ensure they meet EPA established engine requirements.

You may want to take a look at this:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forum...rsy/3972685-epa-going-after-evans-tuning.html

Then read this in the same article a few times:

If the EPA's action against Evans succeeds, they will have, in one fell swoop, made illegal over 90% of the products and servicesprovided by the aftermarket in the United States. Any modification that does not undergo California CARB certification or a US FTP emissions cert, would be de facto illegal for use on any vehicle made after 1971, regardless of the usage or venue of usage for that vehicle. No longer will you be able to custom tune a race car, unless you are willing to spend $10k to custom certify the emissions of that vehicle. And all production based racing series (see World Challenge, for example) would be required to use factory catalysts (which will not last in a race environment of course).

The EPA is an out of control agency that believes they can do basically anything they want.

CanAmMick

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara JL, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring
Occupation
USAF Retired Helicopter mechanic
Unfortunately in the long run it probably will. Someone has to make the tune, and in doing that they can be fined. You, the owner of a modified vehicle could also be fined. It’s not hard to figure out which automotive repair shops are modifying vehicles. Very easy for the EPA to get info from a shop once they have been caught.

I don’t like they any more than you, but until their put in check they will be a dangerous bunch of idiots to deal with.

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
They sold over 363K units and the fine is $300K? Wow, EPA going all out there, huh? They were probably this close to making them sit in the comfy chair.
I read this in another article.
In a civil settlement, Derive must pay a $300,000 penalty and spend $6.25 million to fix the products so they don’t violate the law. Messages were left Monday seeking comment from Derive.
Article
https://fox17online.com/2018/09/24/company-penalized-for-disabling-vehicles-emissions-controls/

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
It's actually "spend as much as $6.25 million" . . . which is the absolute outside max calculated by taking the number of kits sold, contacting each owner, and performing whatever "fix" actions deemed necessary by the EPA. So, consider how this might go for the average purchaser of one of these kits. Ring, ring . . . "Hi we want to make changes to the kit you bought so that it is in compliance with EPA regs." "Do what? What would that mean to me?" "Well we would need to put back all of that anti-pollution stuff like the DEF and . . . " CLICK! That $6.25M tag is the same crazy number as when the local fuzz busts some small time pot operation and calculates the "street value" of a few pounds of weed as being worth six figures. It's smoke and mirrors.

Sponsored

Gurk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Current: 21 JL Hemi Sold: JL, JK, TJ, XJ
Occupation
IT Infrastructure Security
Yeah, f*ck the elderly and young people with health issues! Wish we still had lead in our fuel
Sorry guy but let’s not paint everything with an old broad brush. Have you forgotten that diesel emissions are not what they were years ago. Are you not aware of the pee squirters that are standard today?
Green Diesel Enginering has been tuning the Eco Diesel motor for more than 5 years at this point and they don’t make the engine produce more pollutants. Actually they reduce the soot that the engine produces. Combine that with the urine bath that the exhaust particles get and your alamism regarding air pollution is out of place.

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Sorry guy but let’s not paint everything with an old broad brush. Have you forgotten that diesel emissions are not what they were years ago. Are you not aware of the pee squirters that are standard today?
Green Diesel Enginering has been tuning the Eco Diesel motor for more than 5 years at this point and they don’t make the engine produce more pollutants. Actually they reduce the soot that the engine produces. Combine that with the urine bath that the exhaust particles get and your alamism regarding air pollution is out of place.
Except that is not what I am talking about. I’d buy a diesel jeep if they increased the tow rating on it. What I wouldn’t do is delete all the pollution control equipment. You have to take my previous comment in context

catabler

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
If they do not circumvent any of the emissions systems, probably not. However since the only way to really open up a diesel and tap into it’s capabilities is to circumvent the emissions systems then yeah it probably will.
This is an untrue statement. There are companies that tune with all emissions equipment intact. The new Banks Derringers are one of them https://shop.bankspower.com/i-2632-...ith-2017-19-chevy-gmc-2500-3500-6-6l-l5p.html.

Here is another: http://calibratedpower.com/cummins-...mission/jack-spade-csp4-tuning-2013-2018.html

3.0L ecodiesel: https://shop.bankspower.com/i-2759-...m-1500-and-grand-cherokee-3-0l-ecodiesel.html

Macaw1

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubi on 1 tons and 40's
Screw em' The kids now are Idiots and think it's great to be a Communist ...I don't have any kids and the old people should be turned into Soilent Green for the good of others.

Macaw1

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Rubi on 1 tons and 40's
When I get one I want it stripped down and bare like a 4B Diesel.
Take all the emissions crap off and dump the DEF..Bare Bones and max torque, HP and milage.
Sponsored