[Enter Name Here] - JLU Sport Build

For my rig, with 33x12.5s, go Rubicon suspension or other 2/2.5” lift (read thread)?

• Rubicon

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

_thewick

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
Engineer
This is [currently unnamed] (been thinking of a couple), my 2018 white JLU sport.

Current:
  • Method MR701's (17x8.5) w/ 33x12.5" Nitto Ridge Grapplers.
  • Removed bumper-fender trim pieces.
  • Removed air dam/plastic skid plate under front bumper.
Next (not necessarily in this order):
  • suspension, undecided
  • roof rails/basket, undecided
  • LED headlights, I like these Axials but maybe the KC Gravity Pros.
  • LED fog light replacement, diode dynamics (probably).
  • Front bumper, Quadratec stubby w/:
    • winch, probably quadratec
    • trail lights, KC or Hella probably
  • Rock sliders, I like these.
  • Soft top (maybe)
  • Many, many, many other various internal/external accessories.

Suspension (thoughts?): I'd like to keep the jeep low, I just want enough extra clearance over stock for the larger tires. I'm thinking springs/shocks not spacers because I'd like to improve performance as long as I'm doing it. Trying to decide if I want to do Rubicon take off or one of the 2/2.5" lifts.

Rails/basket: Just trying to decide between Rhino, Thule, and Yakima, which system works best for me.

Before:

77413711-C294-4D66-8B4E-6816E1EC9F4D.jpeg

E228AB97-E0BE-4EE9-B555-5F2DF5703399.jpeg

New wheels and tires going on:

1B5789DD-8A78-4CCC-B2C6-D817C3FE1310.jpeg

5AC571BE-E2B3-430C-B682-E2A6CD87B08E.jpeg

Advertisement

OP
_thewick

_thewick

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
Engineer
Not a great shot of the new wheels/tires, I’ll post a better “after pic” later.

I love the look though.
0F73DFFE-274B-4DC0-8D14-85412DCB8F6D.jpeg

5Petes

First Name
Rustin
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU in Punkn
This may be an unpopular opinion given the forum and many of its members but I’d just do the rubicon springs and shocks because they can be had cheap and are pretty easy to find. You can always change shocks later if you are and will be happy with staying that size. Building many times over isn’t advised unless you love spending money time and again on the same things.

I did the rubicon route as stage 1 (for a year while I planned my build) and loved the ride and it did great off-road plus kept mpg over 20 on the mixed highway commute. I wanted bigger for playing including axles so I took mine off and went metal cloak game changer but would do it again for my kids or wife for moderate wheeling. My son now has the rubicon tires and wheels on his JK. I didn’t like it at first because of the caster but spent the $70 on the mopar lift lower control arms and it was a joy to drive. The JL has tons of travel so you don’t have to lift it as high to fit those tires or have a good amount of flex to keep the tires down off-road. Here is one of my trips on the rubicon suspension and these aren’t even maxed out.

4A81D8C4-EC94-4835-84F0-699A0630DDEB.jpeg

6901C4ED-2AC1-4F6A-8E00-48044D07C2E4.jpeg

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S / GMC 1500AT 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
This may be an unpopular opinion given the forum and many of its members but I’d just do the rubicon springs and shocks because they can be had cheap and are pretty easy to find. You can always change shocks later if you are and will be happy with staying that size. Building many times over isn’t advised unless you love spending money time and again on the same things.

I did the rubicon route as stage 1 (for a year while I planned my build) and loved the ride and it did great off-road plus kept mpg over 20 on the mixed highway commute. I wanted bigger for playing including axles so I took mine off and went metal cloak game changer but would do it again for my kids or wife for moderate wheeling. My son now has the rubicon tires and wheels on his JK. I didn’t like it at first because of the caster but spent the $70 on the mopar lift lower control arms and it was a joy to drive. The JL has tons of travel so you don’t have to lift it as high to fit those tires or have a good amount of flex to keep the tires down off-road. Here is one of my trips on the rubicon suspension and these aren’t even maxed out.

Agree if you plan to stay 33s this is a good solution. Possibly throw a .75/.5” spacer on during installation. I bought mine with Mopar (so called 2”) lift and 33s and looked out of proportion. Needed at least 35s but I had plans to add Rubi flares and 37s anyway. Just wanted to show you Mopar lift and 33s for reference.
BB1CB7E8-D9FD-451C-B619-80EF0BB6BAB5.png
7B254A62-D0B1-446B-A44C-C219E020FB9B.jpeg

OP
_thewick

_thewick

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
Engineer

Actually that looks great! I was thinking the same thing, go Rubi suspension while I figure out what I want to do... you can find them for so cheap that it almost seems like even if I decided I wanted something different after a month, it would still be worth it. I have a suspicion I'll like the Rubi suspension enough to keep it for a while though. Glad to hear the rid/off-road handling was good.

I've heard people on this forum say the same thing about the caster; if you get Rubicon take-off suspension to get the Mopar lower control arm and it greatly improves the ride and handling.

OP
_thewick

_thewick

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
Engineer
Agree if you plan to stay 33s this is a good solution. Possibly throw a .75/.5” spacer on during installation. I bought mine with Mopar (so called 2”) lift and 33s and looked out of proportion. Needed at least 35s but I had plans to add Rubi flares and 37s anyway. Just wanted to show you Mopar lift and 33s for reference.
BB1CB7E8-D9FD-451C-B619-80EF0BB6BAB5.png
7B254A62-D0B1-446B-A44C-C219E020FB9B.jpeg
Are those true 33's? I thought the stock Rubicon tires were supposed to be 33's, then I saw a set for sale online and the size was actually 285/70/17, which I guess is close enough to 33", I was just surprised (don't know why) that they weren't "true" 33's.

I'll probably stick with 33's, at least for a while. So far I really like them and I think they strike a good balance between size/practicality and capability, especially the 33x12.5 - these things are fat!

I actually like the look of that setup in your pics, lift + 33 looks good imo. I've been trying to figure this out but it's been hard to find exact info... Is the 2" Mopar lift a 2" lift for the sport or the rubicon? Because I thought the Rubicon already sat like an inch higher than the sport models, but the Mopar lift doesn't specify how much lift it will give for which model. If it's meant for sports then it seems like it would only be a 1" lift for Rubicons? I guess I'm really wondering how much "lift" the Rubi springs will give me, and if I decide to go with a 2" lift (like the Mopar) later will I notice that much difference. Thanks for the comments, yours looks great!

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S / GMC 1500AT 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Are those true 33's? I thought the stock Rubicon tires were supposed to be 33's, then I saw a set for sale online and the size was actually 285/70/17, which I guess is close enough to 33", I was just surprised (don't know why) that they weren't "true" 33's.

I'll probably stick with 33's, at least for a while. So far I really like them and I think they strike a good balance between size/practicality and capability, especially the 33x12.5 - these things are fat!

I actually like the look of that setup in your pics, lift + 33 looks good imo. I've been trying to figure this out but it's been hard to find exact info... Is the 2" Mopar lift a 2" lift for the sport or the rubicon? Because I thought the Rubicon already sat like an inch higher than the sport models, but the Mopar lift doesn't specify how much lift it will give for which model. If it's meant for sports then it seems like it would only be a 1" lift for Rubicons? I guess I'm really wondering how much "lift" the Rubi springs will give me, and if I decide to go with a 2" lift (like the Mopar) later will I notice that much difference. Thanks for the comments, yours looks great!
These were the 285/70/17 tires from a Rubicon. The mopar 2” lift if more like 3.5” on a Sport. The measurements listed is related to a Rubicon. I have added Rubi flares and added 37s. Here is pic for reference. A few other mods since then also :) don’t pay attention to the Rubicon hood decal - added take off hood and haven’t changed lettering yet :)

95488597-D13A-4275-8AB9-D53AA48F21C0.jpeg

5Petes

First Name
Rustin
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU in Punkn
I got a full 2” out of just the rubicon suspension and it was perfect for a 33” IMO. They came from a 2.0 hard top with tow package and were the highest number springs all way around. My Metalcloak 3.5 gave me more than that over the rubicon so I’m in the sky compared to stock. Here is a sport, rubi, MC front spring comparison and the growth of mine in boring flat driveway pics for comparison. The MC lift doesn’t really squat that much. It’s weird picture angle and that was before rock sliders, winch and bumper.

9AFE7CB4-DDBF-4930-92A7-2F04DFEA8629.jpeg

9679FD30-5A3A-48E1-91FA-ECA2BF478C73.jpeg

EC2360E2-27DA-47F4-93C2-3495CE6EE261.jpeg

A2C2D4F9-EC5E-4C38-8DA6-55B88E440EA2.jpeg

Advertisement

Done Right LED

Advertisement