Sponsored

Engineering Nerds: 3/8" Rivnuts to Hold On Body Armor?

Sean K.

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, TJ, 4Runner, Cummins tow rig, 2 Tube Frame Buggies, Lotus SC Elise, Mazda 3, RAV4 Hybrid
Sponsored

Last edited:

WontonJLUR

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Bringing this back, have you installed these and beat on them? I'm in the exact same situation, wondering how strong these will be to very hard impacts. I'm concerned about the Jeep's rocker itself wrinkling or getting otherwise damaged due to the rocker armor tie ins.

WontonJLUR

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I'm definitely not considering JUST the skins. it would be the skins and sliders together.

That's very interesting that you mention that. I was looking at them earlier and trying to see how I might tie the sliders into the frame. Are you planning to add the support legs from the bottom of their sliders to the frame and then add additional plate between the frame rail and slider to remove any potential hang up points?

That's some thick DOM! We used 120 wall on my car's roll cage.

Keep us updated on what you do with them!

WontonJLUR

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
I just went back and read your initial post more closely and now I see it. Sorry for the confusion.

I agree with your assessment of frame vs body mount. I think they only "get away" with it because the body bolts "mount" to the frame, so while its not really accurate, its not blatantly incorrect either.

Agree with their product quality and that's why I'm leaning towards their slider offering. I have one of their front bumpers and it's great.

Thanks for the info, I'll stay subbed just because I'm interested to see what you end up coming up with! Best of luck!

WontonJLUR

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Thanks. Honestly, I like their stuff a lot...I think this would likely be fine for most people. I just want something different and something I won't question about its ability to take a severe hit.
Slight body damage wouldn't be the end of the world, I already have a crunched passenger B pillar and a nice dent just in front of the passenger rear fender. Not to mention the nice fold in the driver door from when my wife dropped it trying to put it back on. :angry:

Really my only concern here would be a hit so hard that it causes the Jeep's rocker to wrinkle because of it being bolted into the rocker skin, if that makes sense. Seems unlikely but I'm not kind to this Jeep and I'm really just trying to prevent significant damage. Small things, I don't care about.

Sponsored

WontonJLUR

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Well, buckling the tub is a big deal. You can have all sorts of door to tub misalignment issues if it's severe enough.

I think the consensus, even on the JK, is that these type of body attached sliders aren't nearly as robust as actual frame mounts and most will eventually buckle with hard use.

Yeah. This is the kinda shit that might drive me towards buying the LOD Signature Series or building my own eventually.

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I still need to do something, too.

Sean, super curious to see your finished product. Trying to understand how you're gonna make a rub rail with the inherently huge radii of a roller vs a bender. Not a criticism, just curious.
Sponsored