Sponsored

Engineering: If a hook is rated to 10,000 pounds does that mean that 2 are rated to 20,000 pounds?

Joe98

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019, 2 door Sport S, Mojito!
I have no engineering knowledge.

I have a 2 door JL Sport from Jeep Australia. I have no recovery hooks on the front and I wish to get a pair.

Presume that a hook is rated to 10,000 pounds and I have 2 hooks on the front. I am stuck in the mud and I need to be recovered.

My friend has a winch and attaches it to my hooks in a "Y" shape.

Does that mean the hooks together are rated to 20,000 pounds?

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
I have no engineering knowledge.

I have a 2 door JL Sport from Jeep Australia. I have no recovery hooks on the front and I wish to get a pair.

Presume that a hook is rated to 10,000 pounds and I have 2 hooks on the front. I am stuck in the mud and I need to be recovered.

My friend has a winch and attaches it to my hooks in a "Y" shape.

Does that mean the hooks together are rated to 20,000 pounds?

The rating is in a straight pull, the y connection would create some degree of side loading. The bigger the y the lower the side loading but you'll never get to a full 20,000 lbs. That being said, odds are you'll never be so stuck as to need that huge of a load. Not to mention the odds that his winch will generate 20,000lbs of force without moving his vehicle before yours if you are that stuck are basically 0.

Kreepin1

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 CJ7, 2006 TJ, 2012 JKR, 2021 JLR
Build Thread
Link
I'd be more concerned about how you are attaching the hook to the frame. FCA is using a pretty thin material on these new Wranglers. The days of slapping on a pair of hooks with 1/2-20 bolts are over.

Post a picture of what you are planning to do...
Sponsored