Engine whine diagnosed as failed belt tensioner/idler pulley

bzjeep

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
A couple of weeks ago, my 3.6 AT developed an engine whine that is directly related to accelerator pressure. It occurs when the engine is cold or warm and happens whether or not the vehicle is moving. I took it in for diagnosis and they told me that the belt tensioner/idler pulley needs to be replaced. It's still under warranty for another year and it's only got 14,000 miles on it, but I was definitely surprised that something like this had already failed...

I'm still waiting on the part to arrive, so we'll see if that actually eliminates the noise, but I hadn't seen any other posts about this particular issue, so I thought I'd share. I'll be sure to update once I retake possession of the vehicle late tomorrow.
Sponsored

Last edited:

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Interesting. I swear I've had a ~1 second belt squeal on startup since day 1. I've never pursued it but probably should investigate further

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
A couple of weeks ago, my 3.6 AT developed an engine whine that is directly related to accelerator pressure. It occurs when the engine is cold or warm and happens whether or not the vehicle is moving. I took it in for diagnosis and they told me that the belt tensioner/idler pulley needs to be replaced. It's still under warranty for another year and it's only got 14,000 miles on it, but I was definitely surprised that something like this had already failed...

I'm still waiting on the part to arrive, so we'll see if that actually eliminates the noise, but I hadn't seen any other posts about this particular issue, so I thought I'd share. I'll be sure to update once I retake possession of the vehicle late tomorrow.
Interesting. I swear I've had a ~1 second belt squeal on startup since day 1. I've never pursued it but probably should investigate further
@bzjeep and @D60,

We certainly share your concerns here. Please know that our team is always available via private message, and are happy to add our additional assistance to any dealer service.

Kathryn
JeepCares

OP
OP
bzjeep

bzjeep

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
@JeepCares I retook possession of the vehicle today (as promised). They replaced the idler pulley free of charge and the issue is resolved!

Dengar

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Jeep JKU, 2019 JLU Rubicon
Awesome. I took mine in yesterday because a "whine" developed recently and they came to the same conclusion. They have the parts on order and it's all covered under warranty.

Sponsored

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
That's the brake system. Push down very lightly when you start and never hear the noise again.

JL_jeeper

First Name
Anish
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
The idler pulley are garbage on 3.6L. my 2021 JL Rubicon has the same issue
Engine coolant kept on over heating, looked underneath and the idler pulley is melted out. It's going on flat bed after Christmas to the dealership

It sucks!

bk3000

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Willys
Awesome thread. I have had minor whining on my 2021 Willys since new, but has recently become much louder over the past few months. Will be taking it in to service ASAP. Thank you!
Sponsored