Engine studder and thottle lag anyone else having this issue

Justarose

First Name
Crystal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jeep wrangler unlimited rubicon
I picked up my jeep july 10th. On the first ride home from the dealer I noticed there was a studder when you are just cruising along in any gear. Figured it might be the computer just learning, however now I have over 1300 miles and it is still here. I also notice if you are taking off quick and trying to shift quick the rpms around 3500 you push the clutch and take foot off gas and the rpms stay up there for full 2-3 seconds. You cant shift until the rpms come down. Since I put on the outlaw axle back you can even hear the studder. It almost sounds like a misfire and it does it when you lightly accelerating. Is anyone else having any of these issues? I also have the ess warning that the start stop is not working. I saw the dealer and they said I have a bad clutch sensor switch. I hope when the part comes in it fixes everything but I highly doubt it.
Sponsored

Torero

First Name
J. Diego
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon, FJ Cruiser, BMW Z3, F650,GL63 AMG, STI
I picked up my jeep july 10th. On the first ride home from the dealer I noticed there was a studder when you are just cruising along in any gear. Figured it might be the computer just learning, however now I have over 1300 miles and it is still here. I also notice if you are taking off quick and trying to shift quick the rpms around 3500 you push the clutch and take foot off gas and the rpms stay up there for full 2-3 seconds. You cant shift until the rpms come down. Since I put on the outlaw axle back you can even hear the studder. It almost sounds like a misfire and it does it when you lightly accelerating. Is anyone else having any of these issues? I also have the ess warning that the start stop is not working. I saw the dealer and they said I have a bad clutch sensor switch. I hope when the part comes in it fixes everything but I highly doubt it.
I haven’t noticed any issue with mine. 9500 miles. I have seen what you say about RPM staying up there. BUT I can shift with no problem. I can red line the RPM and shift really fast. I’m not sure the RPM actually stay up that long or the gage is slow. But in either case I have no problem shifting.

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
mine does that and its the only thing on the jeep that bothers me

OP
OP
Justarose

Justarose

First Name
Crystal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
no I've been doing research first to see if it was just my driving habit. But it seems not to be an isolated incident as other members have the same issue.

Sponsored

McBeeve

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 2-door Rubicon
Occupation
Facilities Administrator
Mine is just shy of the 3k mark and been doing it since the beginning. The only reason I have not taken mine in, is lack of confidence in my service department. I will monitor this thread though in hopes that someone figures it out.

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Today I took the jeep for a spin without running the a/c andI noticed two things. !) the jeep is much faster without the a/c and 2) the rev's didn't stay up or increase between shifts actually drove like a normal manual. But I was surprised about the power difference from not having the a/c on.

jebjkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Rev hang between shifts is very common on manual transmission vehicles now. I think it has something to do with better emissions. Lucky for me I can tune it out on my Subaru.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
I have had my Rubicon JL for a week now. I just responded in another thread about this. I contribute these characteristics to poor throttle calibration and a bad OEM tune. The OEM tune has all kinds of issues. Not even sure why. It’s a na V6 motor. Nothing special here.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Justarose

Justarose

First Name
Crystal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have had my Rubicon JL for a week now. I just responded in another thread about this. I contribute these characteristics to poor throttle calibration and a bad OEM tune. The OEM tune has all kinds of issues. Not even sure why. It’s a na V6 motor. Nothing special here.
I spoke with my Case manager from corporate this morning. He told me once the clutch solenoid switch is replaced then I should no longer have these issues. Well see. I also did ask about if we were to purchase a throttle commander to change the throttle will it void the warranty and told me yes. So we will keep bringing it in until they correct the throttle calibration and tune.

Litfuse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 C7 Grand Sport, 2019 Ram 1500, 2017 Audi Q5.
I spoke with my Case manager from corporate this morning. He told me once the clutch solenoid switch is replaced then I should no longer have these issues. Well see. I also did ask about if we were to purchase a throttle commander to change the throttle will it void the warranty and told me yes. So we will keep bringing it in until they correct the throttle calibration and tune.
You can always remove a pedal commander without them knowing it has been on the vehicle. That is the beauty of the product. However, I’m not sure if it would help the problem or actually make it worse. The dealer can’t fix the tune and /or throttle calibration until the manufacture creates a new tune. I’m actually surprised there is not an individual who provides aftermarket tunes for wrangler. I think the person would make a killing.

SeeBass

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
My JLUR has been doing the same exact thing you originally described with the rev hang. Have you had the clutch solenoid replaced yet? If so, has it made any difference? This drives my crazy and I need to figure out how it’ll be fixed.

OP
OP
Justarose

Justarose

First Name
Crystal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My JLUR has been doing the same exact thing you originally described with the rev hang. Have you had the clutch solenoid replaced yet? If so, has it made any difference? This drives my crazy and I need to figure out how it’ll be fixed.
Yes had it replaced it change nothing but the ESS no longer errors. It still studders and has the throttle hang. The dealership that I took it to told me they took it for a 2 mile test drive and it is driving as it is supposed this time. My JK I had with the same motor did not drive like this and when I got in my jeep to see the mileage the the dealership said it had before test drive was 2759 before test drive and 2761 after. I get in my jeep and my odometer says 2148 so this dealership is awesome on the lies. They also lied to me two other times and told corporate my jeep was fixed when my case manager from corporate called to check I told him I still waiting to hear if part is in. Taking to the dealership I purchased from much further drive but I hope they will listen to my problem and actually try to do something. Ill keep post updated if I get things finally fixed.

Redjl20737

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler jl
Today I took the jeep for a spin without running the a/c andI noticed two things. !) the jeep is much faster without the a/c and 2) the rev's didn't stay up or increase between shifts actually drove like a normal manual. But I was surprised about the power difference from not having the a/c on.
I have a automatic and I set cruise control on a flat road and u can see rpm change when I do it...
I can only imagine having ac on full blast and open up the throttle how much of a slug it will be.
Sponsored