Engine light on- less than 1,000 miles

Jwobes

First Name
Juliana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Eco Diesel
My 2021 eco diesel that has less than 1,000 miles on it, the engine light came on…when to 2 different auto zones to run the code and nothing was coming up… then I when to the dealer and they said it was probably because I didn’t screw the gas (diesel) cap tight enough so they said to fill it up and make sure I do 3 full rotations and the engine light should come off after a day or so. It did after a day and a half… but then it came back on… the vehicle is BRAND NEW. Has anyone else had this issue? How to fix it? It’s driving me nuts
Sponsored

JasonInDLH

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 15 Yukon Denali
Occupation
I’d Rather Talk Jeep’s!
Like the dealer said, the light should go off after awhile once you get that cap on properly. That’s strange that the scanner didn’t pick up a code to manually reset it. I wonder if, just by coincidence, you were unlucky and had newbs dealing with the scanner and they didn’t know how to find the EVAP code as I remember there was definitely a learning curve the first time I plugged in a scanner. Here, this may be helpful…

https://itstillruns.com/reset-gas-cap-loose-missing-7817331.html

I’d probably go back to AutoZone (or somewhere willing to scan your vehicle for free like an independent shop perhaps) and tell them that you left the gas cap open and you have an EVAP code to clear . If the code comes back and you know you have the cap on, then you’ll have bigger fish to fry.

JAG_Jeep

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Diesel
I am experiencing a similar issue (chronic CEL) on my 2020 JL Diesel. It started at 500 miles and it's still on at 4000. I have taken it to the dealer 6 times to address the issue.

CEL OBD CODE: P246F - exhaust gas temperature sensor

570 miles: CEL P246F--> possible gas cap issue: dealer reset
850 miles: CEL P246F --> dealer: software update
950 miles: CEL P246F --> dealer checked fuses
1200 miles: CEL P246F --> replaced emission sensor
1700 miles: CEL P246F --> dealer tested wiring
I reset the CEL 5 additional times (P246F) hoping the code would clear; it didn't
3500 miles: CEL P246F -->the dealer believes it is the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). It's on backorder.

I hope this resolves the issue. I will keep you posted.

This is my first jeep. I know people say "it's a jeep thing." I wonder if they are referring to questionable reliability or rustic charm.

OP
OP
Jwobes

Jwobes

First Name
Juliana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am experiencing a similar issue (chronic CEL) on my 2020 JL Diesel. It started at 500 miles and it's still on at 4000. I have taken it to the dealer 6 times to address the issue.

I reset the CEL 5 additional times (P246F) hoping the code would clear; it didn't
3500 miles: CEL P246F -->the dealer believes it is the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). It's on backorder.

This is my first jeep. I know people say "it's a jeep thing." I wonder if they are referring to questionable reliability or rustic charm.
Yes, please let me know what they say. I will be taking mine into the dealership tomorrow and of course the engine light has turned back off...now that I think about it- it started around 500 miles. Has your engine light been on consistently? Mine stays on for two days then off two days. I will let you know what the dealer says.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Exhaust gas temp sensors are problematic across all diesels. If that’s the code you’ve got, you’re in for a ride. Hope your dealership is competent.

Sponsored

JAG_Jeep

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Diesel
Exhaust gas temp sensors are problematic across all diesels. If that’s the code you’ve got, you’re in for a ride. Hope your dealership is competent.
Randomly, my CEL cleared last week and has remained off. However, the dealership will still replace the PCM. I'll keep you posted.

Themistocles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Ram 2500 Cummins / 20 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Randomly, my CEL cleared last week and has remained off. However, the dealership will still replace the PCM. I'll keep you posted.
I also have a JLURD and have had a CEL come on three times now over the last week. I have reset it each time...with no DTC showing. within and hour or so of driving it is back on. So no DTC...but CEL on three times. Any thoughts? Using a Tazer JL mini to check the code and reset the light.

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 6 speed 2021 JLUR 392
I also have a JLURD and have had a CEL come on three times now over the last week. I have reset it each time...with no DTC showing. within and hour or so of driving it is back on. So no DTC...but CEL on three times. Any thoughts? Using a Tazer JL mini to check the code and reset the light.
you need a more complicated scanner to read the DTC.Those cheap scanner and even tazer can only read regular generic codes..

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep Wrangler JL Engine light on- less than 1,000 miles F8871F97-724C-4938-AA1F-316859211907

went wheelin with a buddy the other day, he was wearing this on a shirt

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jwobes

Jwobes

First Name
Juliana
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

The light ended up being on for the cooling performance. My radiator still had some mud logged in there that I couldnt see so they hosed it off and reset the code. Thankfully it wasnt anything serious.

Themistocles

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'03 Ram 2500 Cummins / 20 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
you need a more complicated scanner to read the DTC.Those cheap scanner and even tazer can only read regular generic codes..
You were spot on, i picked up a better OBD reader. Code is there for low efficiency Nox in bank 1. Again thanks...at least i know what is going on.

JAG_Jeep

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Diesel
Yes, please let me know what they say. I will be taking mine into the dealership tomorrow and of course the engine light has turned back off...now that I think about it- it started around 500 miles. Has your engine light been on consistently? Mine stays on for two days then off two days. I will let you know what the dealer says.
The dealer rep

Update: @ 4400 miles: The dealer replaced my Powertrain Control Module (PCM) and the check engine light has remained off.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
The dealer rep

Update: @ 4400 miles: The dealer replaced my Powertrain Control Module (PCM) and the check engine light has remained off.
did they say why? Bad reference voltage to the sensor from the pcm? Failed input circuit from the sensor in the pcm?
Or did they just run out of other parts to replace?
Sponsored