Engine Fan Noise After Increased Tire?

jmh36

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Unlimited Rubicon 2021
I recently upgraded from 35's to 37's with some heavy rims. I am hearing the engine fan extremely loudly and pretty often. This is not something I experienced with the 35's, at least not noticeably. Is this something to be concerned about? Any ways to fix it? Just want to make sure I am not doing long term damage to the car. Thanks in advance
Sponsored

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
What that says is, that your engine cooling system is running hotter, because of the additional weight of the bigger tires and wheels. Also going to 37's, you may need to re-gear. Does it feel like you have lost a lot of power, or are you satisfied with the way that it performs? What engine cooling temps are you seeing? Plus I see that you are in Chicago, where the Summer heat is just starting to happen.

OP
OP
jmh36

jmh36

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What that says is, that your engine cooling system is running hotter, because of the additional weight of the bigger tires and wheels. Also going to 37's, you may need to re-gear. Does it feel like you have lost a lot of power, or are you satisfied with the way that it performs? What engine cooling temps are you seeing? Plus I see that you are in Chicago, where the Summer heat is just starting to happen.
On the dash I never see the heat rise much past the halfway level. I have lost some power but with the 2.0 turbo I have not even considered a regear, moves around just fine. Yes, you're correct, its still only 70 degrees or so here. Worried about the 90 degree weather

azwjowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL; 2004 WJ (sold but never forgotten)
People say they don't need to regear but the fact is that if you increase the tire size any significant amount and don't regear, you have departed from the OEM performance envelope for engine stress, cooling, and all the other components that factor into longevity. If you had 33s you're now 4 inches larger. I would regear.

BigGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Sport
On the dash I never see the heat rise much past the halfway level. I have lost some power but with the 2.0 turbo I have not even considered a regear, moves around just fine. Yes, you're correct, its still only 70 degrees or so here. Worried about the 90 degree weather
Temps are the same because the cooling system is working. That doesn't mean it's not working harder.

Sponsored

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
If you are satisfied with the power, and the engine is currently not overheating, then you should be good to go. But yes, by all means keep a eye on the coolant temps, once the outside temps increase. But these cooling fans do ramp up on speed, so hopefully it is not a issue.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

are you running your AC fan at 6-7 level? soon as you run the AC full blast the cooling fans kick into high speed. my 18 does this all the time. I call it my jet engine upgrade LOL

OP
OP
jmh36

jmh36

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Actually noticing it with or without the A/C on. Just going to keep a close eye on my engine temps for now, worst case scenario I will regear if need be. Thanks all
Sponsored