Sponsored

Engine eating oil??

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I thought it unusual for my 3.6 to be needing a quart of oil, after being driven around 4k since the last change.
I started to notice excessive engine clatter, and had that "Oh, Crap" moment. I thought something was going bad, inside the engine, like others have had.
I then checked the oil level, and saw it was low. 1 quart later, and the engine was quiet.
I know it is not unusual for high mileage engines to burn oil, but mine only has 20k on it, and is 3 yrs old. No smoking exhaust, and no visible leaks.
Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
I thought it unusual for my 3.6 to be needing a quart of oil, after being driven around 4k since the last change.
I started to notice excessive engine clatter, and had that "Oh, Crap" moment. I thought something was going bad, inside the engine, like others have had.
I then checked the oil level, and saw it was low. 1 quart later, and the engine was quiet.
I know it is not unusual for high mileage engines to burn oil, but mine only has 20k on it, and is 3 yrs old. No smoking exhaust, and no visible leaks.
Do you know for a fact the right amount was put in after your last change?

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Odd to be down so much then. I was really banking on it being the janitor working the oil bays that day. In saying that, the issue was they were putting too much in though, lol.
No seepage or leaks you can see I assume?
Nope.
But, the driving I do is mostly very short drives. Approx 1 mile from my house to work. So, this might contribute??

Sponsored

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Nope.
But, the driving I do is mostly very short drives. Approx 1 mile from my house to work. So, this might contribute??
Can't see that burning that much oil. These aren't motors from 1980, they're super efficient. Definitely keep an eye on it (check every 1000k or something).
Bringing to dealer won't do anything because they can't instantly "replicate problem"

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

OP
OP

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lol, I meant 1000kms. Source: Canadian.
Oh , there is that crazy metric system math again. Yards, Feet, miles, bushels, pints, quarts, gallons, that's what I understand. :rock:

Dyolfknip74

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon
Oh , there is that crazy metric system math again. Yards, Feet, miles, bushels, pints, quarts, gallons, that's what I understand. :rock:
Don't even talk to me about metric and imperial. Canadians like to brag how progressive we are about metric but the below flow chart is 100% true.
Jeep Wrangler JL Engine eating oil?? k1brffgbngk31

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
4k for a quart...the dealer likely won't even take it in to check anything. He'll tell you to let them know when it gets to 500 miles/quart.

Take your JL out on a joy ride. Drive it like a rental for a whole day. Hard accelerations, up and down rpm, hard driving, then easy driving. The point would be to heat and rpm cycle it. Do this a good number of times. Don't include your joy ride in the oil consumption check.

Hard acceleration puts the engine under load. An engine under load (not the same as free revving) makes the cylinder pressures higher (higher brake mean efficiency pressures a.k.a. BMEP) and pushes the rings harder against the cylinder walls, which should help them wear thru any glazing or actually seat them better, such as if they were babied during break-in and didn't seat well. Contrary to popular opinion, babying an engine during break-in isn't good for the ring seating.

Last edited:

Greenjeepthing

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport Mojito
Occupation
Retired Automotive Service Manager
I have always found that little short trips in town over a period of time...then road trip, that 1st qt. Goes fast. 500 to 750 miles then stops using. Rings open a bit and seal. Checked mine today, 1,400 since last service. It was fine. 1 qt at 4,000 is not a huge concern. Especially with alot of short in town trips.

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
The Pentastar 3.6 and the newer PUG 3.6 are not known for using/burning engine oil. The PUG 3.6, only hold 5 quarts, verses original 3.6, which hold 6 quarts. So it's not the best ideal to run it low on oil.
I check my engine oil and coolant level, every time I fill up with gas. As for your oil usage, no...that is not normal. I have both the 3.6 and the PUG 3.6, and the oil levels never get below the dipstick full mark.
As already asked, when you changed your oil, are you sure that you put 5 quarts in it? What Brand of engine oil, and what viscosity are you using?
Sponsored