Engine dying

DEdney1775

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0 Sport
About a month ago, I got off work, only to get into a 2020 Jeep with what I thought was a dead battery.. When I pushed the button, something just didn't seem right when it wouldn't start.. I got a jump & then went to Autozone where they diagnosed it as a dead battery.. At the exact same time when this happened, I also lost the stop/start option.. (no big deal)

This past Saturday, I drove it to/from work with no problems. About 30 minutes later, I went to get in & go to my kids school fair & the same thing happened.. It was like the computer was acting up. With no power on, under blue skies, the wipers started to move on their own.. I got a jump start and it ran fine. It started up fine later that night, and I now had the stop/start option back!!

I drove it to work this morning with no issues. I drove it almost all the way home (about 20 minutes) and it died at a busy red light in town.. Again, the wipers began moving on their own.. The dash was flashing on and off as well.

My friend came & gave me a jump start and I was able to drive it home. He mentioned alternator. I told him about the wipers & that I think it's some sort of computer problems. The batter I put in last month was rated higher than the one that was in it when I bought it. I'm running an amp and powerd sub off of it, but doubt those are killing my battery.

I've also noticed that when the Jeep is off, sitting in the garage, the dash will flash the "press brake to start" signal.. This happens when I'm standing next to it - not sitting in it.

I wasn't sure where to post this, and I wasn't sure exactly what to search for regarding this weird issue.. I plan on calling the dealer tomorrow to hopefully get it in there on Tuesday. I purchased a warranty when I bought it, so I'm hoping this is all covered..
Sponsored

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
About a month ago, I got off work, only to get into a 2020 Jeep with what I thought was a dead battery.. When I pushed the button, something just didn't seem right when it wouldn't start.. I got a jump & then went to Autozone where they diagnosed it as a dead battery.. At the exact same time when this happened, I also lost the stop/start option.. (no big deal)

This past Saturday, I drove it to/from work with no problems. About 30 minutes later, I went to get in & go to my kids school fair & the same thing happened.. It was like the computer was acting up. With no power on, under blue skies, the wipers started to move on their own.. I got a jump start and it ran fine. It started up fine later that night, and I now had the stop/start option back!!

I drove it to work this morning with no issues. I drove it almost all the way home (about 20 minutes) and it died at a busy red light in town.. Again, the wipers began moving on their own.. The dash was flashing on and off as well.

My friend came & gave me a jump start and I was able to drive it home. He mentioned alternator. I told him about the wipers & that I think it's some sort of computer problems. The batter I put in last month was rated higher than the one that was in it when I bought it. I'm running an amp and powerd sub off of it, but doubt those are killing my battery.

I've also noticed that when the Jeep is off, sitting in the garage, the dash will flash the "press brake to start" signal.. This happens when I'm standing next to it - not sitting in it.

I wasn't sure where to post this, and I wasn't sure exactly what to search for regarding this weird issue.. I plan on calling the dealer tomorrow to hopefully get it in there on Tuesday. I purchased a warranty when I bought it, so I'm hoping this is all covered..
Uh oh, it sounds like you’re a candidate for “ can not duplicate issue “ If it does it again you might consider getting it towed in when it is down. The PITA now might save a lot of future grief. I went through about two years of multiple trips to dealership just to get “can not duplicate “ on my 89 Bronco. Learned my lesson to get it there when down.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Which engine and which battery options do you have?

Reactions: GtX
OP
OP
DEdney1775

DEdney1775

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0 Sport
Which engine and which battery options do you have?
I have the 2.0 with less than 50k miles on it, and the battery is a Duralast Platinum with 850/1000 CCA, 140 reserve capacity, and 80 amp hours.

Sponsored

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Could your after market amp and sub, wiring be a parasitic draw ?
Standing next to the Jeep is within range of the Fob; have someone sit in it while you back away to see what the range is.
Good to know for those wary of thieves jumping in while Fob is in range

OP
OP
DEdney1775

DEdney1775

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0 Sport
Could your after market amp and sub, wiring be a parasitic draw ?
I guess that is possible, but I'm still thinking it's more computer related..

I called my insurance and verified that I do have towing coverage. I'll be driving it around today. We'll see what happens!! Lol.

This sucks.....

Killed by Death

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green 2021 Rubicon 2 Door
I guess that is possible, but I'm still thinking it's more computer related..

I called my insurance and verified that I do have towing coverage. I'll be driving it around today. We'll see what happens!! Lol.

This sucks.....
Does Jeep not provide towing under warranty for mechanical problems?

Sponsored

OP
OP
DEdney1775

DEdney1775

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0 Sport
Does Jeep not provide towing under warranty for mechanical problems?
Great question..

It left me stranded yet again today at the Home Depot.. I called the dealer earlier today and they can't fit me in until next week!! Now, I have to drive it with jumper cables in the front seat..
And, I'm sure when I bring it in next week, they'll scan it & find nothing wrong and blow me off...

After I got it jumped today, I noticed the dash display.. I mean, I know it was hot today, but it wasn't even 90°!!
Jeep Wrangler JL Engine dying 20211025_171234

GtX

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.0D
Occupation
Working for the man.
Vehicle Showcase
No idea what those letters mean.. sorry.
This is the key question you need to answer.

If you have the ESS then you have two batteries. It is usually the smaller battery that goes bad and kills the larger battery. If you have both and only replaced the large battery then the smaller battery is probably killing (or killed) your new battery.

You may have fixed a symptom while ignoring the root cause.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
This is the key question you need to answer.

If you have the ESS then you have two batteries. It is usually the smaller battery that goes bad and kills the larger battery. If you have both and only replaced the large battery then the smaller battery is probably killing (or killed) your new battery.

You may have fixed a symptom while ignoring the root cause.
To be honest, if you have to explain this, the vehicle is best handed over to the dealer.

OP
OP
DEdney1775

DEdney1775

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0 Sport
Where would the 2nd battery be located?

When the Jeep is dead/stalled, why would my dash flash on & off and the wipers come on?

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
Where would the 2nd battery be located?

When the Jeep is dead/stalled, why would my dash flash on & off and the wipers come on?
All functions are based on voltage signals. Low battery voltage can cause computers to do very strange things.

you could also have a bad TIPM, loose/corroded ground or main power wire, any number of little electrical problems. However, if you don’t even know which batteries your Jeep is equipped with, you really don’t have any business trying to fix this.
Sponsored