Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Let me start by saying I'm not sure if this is an issue, or something I'm doing wrong.

Yesterday in uwahrrie during probably the 2 most difficult climbs I did the engine dropped rpm when my foot was consistent on the throttle.

Has anyone else seen something similar, I was in 4 low, traction control off, locked front and rear, it's also an automatic and I'm using a tazer jl.

Thanks,
Cody
Sponsored

cabnfvr

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUL Sport
Occupation
Retired but working with benefits.
Let me start by saying I'm not sure if this is an issue, or something I'm doing wrong.

Yesterday in uwahrrie during probably the 2 most difficult climbs I did the engine dropped rpm when my foot was consistent on the throttle.

Has anyone else seen something similar, I was in 4 low, traction control off, locked front and rear, it's also an automatic and I'm using a tazer jl.

Thanks,
Cody
I’ve seen a few You Tube videos where it happened. Always as you describe, low range in a hard climb. In every case going to manual mode eliminated the glitch. BTW, all of the other instances were stock, no taser.

OP
OP
Alacon01

Alacon01

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I’ve seen a few You Tube videos where it happened. Always as you describe, low range in a hard climb. In every case going to manual mode eliminated the glitch. BTW, all of the other instances were stock, no taser.
My bad, I also forgot to mention that I went to manual to get up it. I wonder if it's something that happens while shifting on a steep angle.

cabnfvr

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUL Sport
Occupation
My bad, I also forgot to mention that I went to manual to get up it. I wonder if it's something that happens while shifting on a steep angle.
Yes, apparently so. This was mentioned on the site a day or two ago. The instances I saw on You Tube were at Poughkeepsie and Moab. It’s potentially dangerous. The site post said the jeep lost power and rolled backwards!

OP
OP
Alacon01

Alacon01

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, apparently so. This was mentioned on the site a day or two ago. The instances I saw on You Tube were at Poughkeepsie and Moab. It’s potentially dangerous. The site post said the jeep lost power and rolled backwards!
Damn, I was looking for something before I made this. I got lucky on mine, since I had my power drop on top of the rock both times. There was a guy taking video, so if I can track him down I'll post it.

Sponsored

cabnfvr

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUL Sport
Occupation
Damn, I was looking for something before I made this. I got lucky on mine, since I had my power drop on top of the rock both times. There was a guy taking video, so if I can track him down I'll post it.
Ask Jeep Cares via PM if they are aware. Jeep may already know about this. To mis quote Dos Equis, “We don’t do hard climbs often but when we do .......”

dudemind

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon
I've got a 6-speed Rubicon, but I think I might be experiencing something very similar. I mentioned how mine behaves in a different thread about low torque.... copied below...

"I've got a Rubicon with a 6-speed. It's got absolutely no pull below 2500. If I'm passing even slightly-slower traffic, I absolutely MUST downshift and be above that RPM range. It's actually not much better off-road either. Easy, hard-packed (i.e., full traction) hills that I've very comfortably driven up in a completely stock Range Rover (on summer tires, with none of the Terrain Response "programs" engaged) often require 4-low in the Jeep to get any sort of grunt if I don't have any starting momentum (it literally feels like it wants to stop rolling forward/uphill entirely, even if I'm in 4-high and flooring it in first)."

I'm not sure if mine actually drops RPM like yours. It just fights to move the needle at all, and the car feels like it's about to "snap" and roll backwards. Will test it out the next time I'm off road and hopefully get a video.

Jeepsk8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I just watched a WOL Video when they were in Moab and one of the JL's lost power on a climb and the other did not. The difference was the one that made the climb was manually in 3rd and the one that didn't make it was in drive. I am in Uwharrie quite often and if I'm leading newbs in auto's (JK's in this case) I tell them to shift down into 2nd or 3rd once we hit a trail. I haven't been in my JLUR yet but this is something to keep in the back of my head when I go in July.

OP
OP
Alacon01

Alacon01

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I just watched a WOL Video when they were in Moab and one of the JL's lost power on a climb and the other did not. The difference was the one that made the climb was manually in 3rd and the one that didn't make it was in drive. I am in Uwharrie quite often and if I'm leading newbs in auto's (JK's in this case) I tell them to shift down into 2nd or 3rd once we hit a trail. I haven't been in my JLUR yet but this is something to keep in the back of my head when I go in July.
Daniel ledge was when I first noticed it happening, This is my first jeep so I wasn't really aware if it was a normal thing or not. I'll have to try 2nd next time I hit it.

OP
OP
Alacon01

Alacon01

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I've got a 6-speed Rubicon, but I think I might be experiencing something very similar. I mentioned how mine behaves in a different thread about low torque.... copied below...

"I've got a Rubicon with a 6-speed. It's got absolutely no pull below 2500. If I'm passing even slightly-slower traffic, I absolutely MUST downshift and be above that RPM range. It's actually not much better off-road either. Easy, hard-packed (i.e., full traction) hills that I've very comfortably driven up in a completely stock Range Rover (on summer tires, with none of the Terrain Response "programs" engaged) often require 4-low in the Jeep to get any sort of grunt if I don't have any starting momentum (it literally feels like it wants to stop rolling forward/uphill entirely, even if I'm in 4-high and flooring it in first)."

I'm not sure if mine actually drops RPM like yours. It just fights to move the needle at all, and the car feels like it's about to "snap" and roll backwards. Will test it out the next time I'm off road and hopefully get a video.
The auto doesn't really seem to have that issue for me, unless I'm at 70 on the highway, and that's because of 37's
Sponsored