stewartld

First Name
Stewart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
Hi,

Trying to choose between the two engine options for an order in France. The diesel is about 15% more fuel efficient according to the stats but diesel gets a bad rap for pollution and gets a lower rating in France for entry into cities so might hit resale value in a few years.

I can't find any comparisons about how each drives.

Anyone got any experience of driving the two of them?

Thanks
Sponsored

Robertrinaustin

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18` JLUSS, Outback
We all dream of the diesel in the States, but I wouldn't touch one in Europe. The political climate is too unfavorable. I have the petro 2.0 a love it FWIW.

OP
OP
stewartld

stewartld

First Name
Stewart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
Thanks - I've driven both now and the petrol is nicer for sure. Any thoughts on running costs (other than fuel) and reliability? I can get a much better deal on a diesel too....

oliver8

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Landrover Discovery3
Thanks - I've driven both now and the petrol is nicer for sure. Any thoughts on running costs (other than fuel) and reliability? I can get a much better deal on a diesel too....
The 2.2 diesel and the 3.6 petrol will be released in Australia .The diesel is $7000 more than the 3.6. Does the diesel go well? Is it a good motor ? Thanks Danny

Sponsored

OP
OP
stewartld

stewartld

First Name
Stewart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
The 2.2 diesel and the 3.6 petrol will be released in Australia .The diesel is $7000 more than the 3.6. Does the diesel go well? Is it a good motor ? Thanks Danny
In Europe the 2.2 Diesel is the same price as the 2.0 petrol. I drove both a few times and it was hard to make a decision. The diesel is about 15 to 20% better on fuel (diesel and petrol fuel are both the same price here, if they aren't in your country then the calculation may be different) and the maintenance costs are less on the diesel (service interval 15k miles for petrol against 20k miles for the diesel). On the other hand the petrol has 270hp v 200hp and this is really noticeable around town and especially setting off, the petrol is a bit quieter, although the diesel isn't obtrusive. I actually like the diesel a lot and it was a tough choice. I went with petrol in the end because diesel is very much out of favour in Europe and is starting to be taxed more heavily and getting reduced access to some cities (e.g. Paris), and who knows what will happen in the next few years. Interestingly I asked the dealer to look at what the final value would be on a five year PCP contract for each and Jeep are valuing the diesel higher at the end of five years than the petrol.

oliver8

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Landrover Discovery3
In Europe the 2.2 Diesel is the same price as the 2.0 petrol. I drove both a few times and it was hard to make a decision. The diesel is about 15 to 20% better on fuel (diesel and petrol fuel are both the same price here, if they aren't in your country then the calculation may be different) and the maintenance costs are less on the diesel (service interval 15k miles for petrol against 20k miles for the diesel). On the other hand the petrol has 270hp v 200hp and this is really noticeable around town and especially setting off, the petrol is a bit quieter, although the diesel isn't obtrusive. I actually like the diesel a lot and it was a tough choice. I went with petrol in the end because diesel is very much out of favour in Europe and is starting to be taxed more heavily and getting reduced access to some cities (e.g. Paris), and who knows what will happen in the next few years. Interestingly I asked the dealer to look at what the final value would be on a five year PCP contract for each and Jeep are valuing the diesel higher at the end of five years than the petrol.
The diesel here is initially dearer,which brings it into the luxury car tax bracket,which makes it even more.Diesel is 10% dearer here which also hurts ,the real plus of the diesel is with most diesels off road and towing economy dosnt change drastically like the petrols ,and with only an 80 litre tank an extra fuel tank would be a must.A plus for the petrol 3.6 v6is there is lots of aftermarket parts are available for it on line from the US and it is a proven motor.

Jenga Jeep

First Name
Pedro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S - Sting Grey
I'm managing to get around 8.0/8.5 l/100km on the 2.2 Diesel

OP
OP
stewartld

stewartld

First Name
Stewart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
I get between 11 and 12 l/100km from the 2.0 petrol but I do live in the mountains so a lot of hills and a lot of short journeys. It's about 9.5 on longer journeys

lohr500

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon 2.2 MultiJet Diesel
In the end, I went diesel for four reasons.

Firstly the claimed fuel efficiency for the diesel was higher.
Secondly, for the UK market, the service interval on the petrol is only 7500 miles/12 months. Whereas the diesel is on a variable distance service regime with a maximum of 24 months. Even if I get 12500 miles from the diesel before the service is due, that's a big improvement on the petrol and will reduce the long term running costs.
Thirdly, if I had chosen petrol, I know I would be heavy footed and the real life fuel economy would be even worse :)
Finally, a dealer had a low mileage diesel Rubicon in the colour I really wanted (Sting Grey) and I couldn't find a petrol Sting Grey Rubicon JLU anywhere in the UK.

The rules are tightening on the use of diesels in a number of UK cities, but so far, these are only affecting older vehicles. Despite the move against diesels, there are still plenty of new ones being sold in the UK, so I'm not too worried about having one.

After test driving both, I also thought the torque from the diesel at lower RPM suited the vehicle better. But to be fair, I had already made up my mind that I wanted a diesel, so unless the diesel test drive had been a disaster it was unlikely I would choose petrol.
Sponsored