DirtyCreeker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On order: 2021 JLU Rubicon
So I got this straight from the manual:

ENGINE BREAK-IN RECOMMENDATIONS —
GASOLINE ENGINE (IF EQUIPPED)
A long break-in period is not required for the engine and drivetrain (transmission and axle) in your vehicle.
Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km). After the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable.

Where it says “after the initial 60 miles, speeds up to 55 mph are desirable“, what speed are you supposed to drive it at for the first 60 miles?

Also, it doesn’t say if there’s a period you should wait before taking it off road. Is there any amount of break in period before you should put it through the paces off road?
Sponsored

Paluss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLURD
So I got this straight from the manual:

ENGINE BREAK-IN RECOMMENDATIONS —
GASOLINE ENGINE (IF EQUIPPED)
A long break-in period is not required for the engine and drivetrain (transmission and axle) in your vehicle.
Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km). After the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or 55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable.

Where it says “after the initial 60 miles, speeds up to 55 mph are desirable“, what speed are you supposed to drive it at for the first 60 miles?

Also, it doesn’t say if there’s a period you should wait before taking it off road. Is there any amount of break in period before you should put it through the paces off road?
I would give it 1,000 miles as that allows other things to break-in brakes, tires, etc., and most problems may show up and YOU get use to the vehicle, it says "are desirable" and "moderately" so don't go on a long trip with cruise set to 80 mph, drive normal varying speeds and roads, (back roads, highway, city) without jack rabbit starts, or WOT on highway and you will be fine, dont over think it. To be honest you could probably drive it anyway you want and be fine, but why risk it? You paid good money for your Jeep, do the right thing...

Thunderjet

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 F350
I think the key word is moderately. Just dont run the piss out of it all the time. If your on the highway try to vary the speed if you can. The break in debate will go on for eternity.

Wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting-Gray Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I think the key word is moderately. Just dont run the piss out of it all the time. If your on the highway try to vary the speed if you can. The break in debate will go on for eternity.
Just what I was going to say Randy. OP, don't overthink the situation. Just use your common sense, easy does it, and everything will go just fine.

Varying your speed at interstate speeds is important. But basically that means don't drive for hours at the same speed. Like most interstates there will be a car in the right lane that will slow you enough to get that job done easily.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
Avoid interstate for first 300 miles. Also avoid cruise control. I think mine said something about starting to run out the engine after 300 being a good idea, but I further avoided cruise control and WOT until after 1,000 miles.

Sponsored

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
said this on a similar post a few days ago.

Unfortunately unless you ordered it and are sure that no one else has driven it than it is more than likely to late to worry about with all the dealership studs and customers test driving it. The good news is, it is not a boat motor and a lot more forgiving.

OP
OP

DirtyCreeker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
On order: 2021 JLU Rubicon
said this on a similar post a few days ago.

Unfortunately unless you ordered it and are sure that no one else has driven it than it is more than likely to late to worry about with all the dealership studs and customers test driving it. The good news is, it is not a boat motor and a lot more forgiving.
I did order it. So I'll know how much anyone else has driven it once it arrives.

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
I did order it. So I'll know how much anyone else has driven it once it arrives.
Great, you know what you are getting. Speed is not the important issue, engine RPM is. Don't drive it like an old Granny and don't drive it like your on the race track. If you very your RPM frequently for the first few hundred miles all will be fine. Do your first oil changes early to include differentials.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Stop and Go driving is the best, for the Break-in period. Short trips. Heat up, cool down. No racing it. After 500 miles, drive like you normally would. After 1000, drive it like you stole it. But , at 1000 miles, I would do the first oil change.

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
As others mentioned I wouldn't over think it. Just drive moderately for a bit. It's an understressed N/A engine. Not like we're talking about a 911 TTS here.

Edit - sorry I assumed you have the 3.6. Even if you have the turbo 4, I wouldn't worry about it.
Sponsored