Sponsored

Electrified

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392XR
I love diesel motors and believe that they are a far superior motor to gasoline motors. With that being said, I will never own another light duty diesel motor. I have owned a 7.3 Powerstroke, a 5.9 Cummins, and (2) 6.7 Powerstrokes. (Currently a 6.7 in my F250 and in my F550 based motorhome.). They are great....at first. Once the DPF starts to get to 60-70% soot load the problems start and once they start they do not stop. I finally deleted my 2015 F250 and it has been problem free so no complaints there but if you live in a liberal state with strict emissions tests that is not an option. I just got through spending $800 on my 2019 F550 based motorhome to fix an f'd up DEF tube so that I can keep my motorhome 50 state legal (52 states if you are in Obama's USA) and I expect more expenses to come. If you buy a new vehicle every couple of of years, the diesel is (was) an excellent choice but if you keep your vehicles for many many years, modern day light duty diesels will bring you heartache and $$.

I thought long and hard about the 3.0 and the 6.4 Wranglers and in the end purchased the 392 to avoid what I knew would eventually be a very problematic 3.0 diesel. Enjoy your 3.0ED's as I am sure they are amazing machines.
Sponsored

Jim1964

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
I view the lack of communication from Jeep on this topic as another Stellantis fail. It should have been obvious the RAM announcement would create questions, yet we have crickets.

Of course a more cynical thought is they did consider it, and viewed the question and resulting chatter as free publicity.

I’m somewhat hopeful Jeep will retain diesel options, after all it’s more of a worldwide brand, whereas RAM is really just North America.

demarpaint

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Rubicon 2008 Liberty 88 E-150
I'm pretty sure the EcoDiesel is done across all product lines. I have a feeling the 3.0L Hurricane will be replacing it along with the hemi engine. With a little tweaking to the engine mounts and the engine bays of some of the lineup it might be replacing the 3.6L soon too with the exception of FWD applications. JMO

Xspurt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Juliet Lima
I thought long and hard about the 3.0 and the 6.4 Wranglers and in the end purchased the 392 to avoid what I knew would eventually be a very problematic 3.0 diesel. Enjoy your 3.0ED's as I am sure they are amazing machines.
I feel about the same way about diesels and have owned some of the ones you've listed but I'm wondering how the 392's repair bill will fair when basic components need to be changed like the starter, alternator, water pump, etc. That engine is so stuffed in that tiny compartment it looks like a bucket of water dumped on top of it would take a half hour to start dripping slowly underneath! In other words, will they have to pull the engine every time it needs something more than a basic tune up?

Electrified

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392XR
I feel about the same way about diesels and have owned some of the ones you've listed but I'm wondering how the 392's repair bill will fair when basic components need to be changed like the starter, alternator, water pump, etc. That engine is so stuffed in that tiny compartment it looks like a bucket of water dumped on top of it would take a half hour to start dripping slowly underneath! In other words, will they have to pull the engine every time it needs something more than a basic tune up?
I can’t speak to those scenarios yet but one would assume there will be some complications when the time comes.

Sponsored

Chief Toby

First Name
Chief
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 TRD 4Runner Off Road ; 2023 Orange High Tide
Yes the wrangler diesel will be dead soon enough. Ford F150 killed the diesel. GM killed diesel in the Colorado. Jeep only did the Diesel because certain people were crying for it but in reality it’s the completely wrong vehicle for a diesel. diesels are for towing a jeep is the opposite of towing. Everybody knows this. You can’t even get this fake diesel in the gladiator with the max tow package. It’s just a compliance engine worthless. And good luck getting parts for those a decade from now. Lol. They’ll be throwing them away and doing conversions. Bet.
I've ridden all over the Himilayas and northern India in 4 WD vehicles that are diesel powered - in fact that's pretty much all they use. They work great - pull and pull....run forever....they lug 'em down and overload them and drive them day in and day out on really really bad roads and terrain. Some of those vehicles even look like Jeeps.....

Knight Offroad

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR diesel
I'm absolutely thrilled that I was able to get the diesel in my Wrangler. Went out of my way to order it exactly how I wanted.

This Jeep is night and day better on the rocks than the high strung Pentastar. I crawl right up ledges that others have to throttle up with a bump and/or wheel spin. This engine is perfect for a Jeep and puts the gas offerings to shame.

I get 30 MPG on the back roads. I can pull over 25 MPG on the freeway. And I'm lifted on 35s. My fuel may be 20% more expensive but the 50%+ better mileage more than makes up for it. The DEF I have to put in once every 3 months or so is trivial.

On top of the better mileage I have a ton more power for getting up to speed and passing. Especially up at the top of mountain passes.

Some people bitch about the overheating when towing a heavy load. And that is a legitimate issue. The grill simply isn't big enough to allow enough air flow to properly cool the engine. But that is a fault of the Jeep, not the engine. The same engine in the RAM tows over 9,000 pounds plus the truck. The engine, if properly cooled, is a workhorse.

Beyond that, I contend that people pushing the max tow rating on any truck (and causing it to overheat) are using the wrong truck for the job and need to step up one level.

Sure, I'll never make a dent in the haters who come in to the discussion with their minds already made up. But the diesel in the Wrangler is far and away better than the Pentastar hands down. Better acceleration, better fuel economy, better rock crawling. It's just better in every way.

It's too bad we haven't had a decent domestic diesel to have run in the Wrangler over the years. But that's more the fault of the big 3 automakers. And that's another discussion entirely.

I'll be sad to see the diesel go. But I'll be enjoying my diesel for a while. I'm glad I got one while I could.
I couldn't agree more. My Jeep is on tons and 40s and geared at 4.56 I don't lack for power. It just crawls over everything with the greatest of ease and climbs mountains with no problems whatsoever. It's the perfect engine for what I do.

MountainRigged

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler 23' JLUR 3.0L EcoDiesel
I'm pretty sure the EcoDiesel is done across all product lines. I have a feeling the 3.0L Hurricane will be replacing it along with the hemi engine. With a little tweaking to the engine mounts and the engine bays of some of the lineup it might be replacing the 3.6L soon too with the exception of FWD applications. JMO
I could see it replacing the 3.6. But I doubt they'd give up the years of testing on their heavy duty engines so quickly for it, even if it overdoses them on horsepower and/torque, I think they'd wait a couple years to see the real world data come in before making that change.

Heavy duty, or light to mid, the 5.7 or 6.4 has a decent marketplace, enough that they would be wary to have it drop out from under them (if major recalls arose etc) for 6 months or a year until the next model year they replaced all their options with the Hurricane.

Lots of variables going into its future like materials, sourcing, and real world data, many of which they cannot simply predict and have to account for later.

JMO

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
It still amazes me that none of these OEM's ask a single actual consumer what they want and instead have a bunch of sissies in corporate offices decide that we all want electric cars - wtf !!!
Exactly the same as our government for sure regardless of which lever you pulled
:mad:
Brian, I have to ask about the Jeeps in your avatar. Right-hand drive? How does that work out in the States? Or....does RHD mean something else in this case?

Sponsored

SavannahAL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wrangler Ecodiesel
Occupation
U.S. Army soldier (retired)
I had a 2018 Wrangler JL V6 and always averaged 17 to 17.5 MPG.
In February 2022 I took delivery of a new Wrangler 3.0 Ecodiesel.
I almost always average 26-28 MPG with my best tank 28.8MPG.
The torque off a red light is a lot of fun and I still have my off-road capability for hunting.
I'm really glad I made the switch.

Tug556

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD
Loved the performance of my diesel, but my JLURD has spent over 2 months this year at the dealership with no end in site. Working on a buyback right now. A diesel wrangler was my dream car since I was a kid. I finally got one and was happy with it for a few months. It has been the most unreliable engine I have ever owned.

deserteagle56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon
Loved the performance of my diesel, but my JLURD has spent over 2 months this year at the dealership with no end in site. Working on a buyback right now. A diesel wrangler was my dream car since I was a kid. I finally got one and was happy with it for a few months. It has been the most unreliable engine I have ever owned.
So tell us more...just what are the problems with your diesel? 'Cause I still might buy one if the right deal comes along.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
People reseaching potential vehicle purchases often forget that they see so many negative opinions because, generally, only people with issues tend to post. Just to be clear, those posting negative reviews have had real challenges, but they don't represent anywhere near a majority opinion. Hell...go to a Pet Rock forum and you'll find owners that are dissatisified with the performance of their inanimate object.

For the record, my Ecodiesel is the best Wrangler engine I've owned.

Shark01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 392, 2005 Ford GT, 1999 Lamborghini Diablo
Hell...go to a Pet Rock forum and you'll find owners that are dissatisified with the performance of their inanimate object.
Wait a darn minute….I’m a moderator on a pet rock forum and that is not the case, we all love them more than our children.

It’s been a tough go evaluating this engine. I work with heavy equipment diesels, and it is still tough to separate the no nothing trolls from those with valid points of view on these light duty engines.

Still having a hard time they discontinued offering a diesel in a TRUCK.

I guess if I go forward with this a full length max care warranty might be a requirement. Only the particulate filter isn’t covered.
Sponsored