Sponsored

supermike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR 6 speed 2021 JLUR 392
Good thing you live in CA - you probably will get the goofy electric only, solar powered Wrangler in coming years.
why did I get picked on for living in CA? And what does that has to do with the topic? So you basically took what I said personal and went insulting? Pathetic….

Deleted member 59498

I said many many times, modern emission controlled consumer grade diesel engine are just TRASH. Let it go, it makes no sense at all. unless you just want a diesel dont care about down time, ownership cost, and all kinds of miserable electrical and mechanical problems just for the sake of diesel engine......
Sounds like the 2.0, 3.6 and especially the 392 trash stuffed in a small box!

Deleted member 59498

Boom! Most on here don't get that.
Get what? The world is doomed by DI diesel engines and they are all going to explode? 60 million Bosch HPFP world wide, that is the most popular version. That is a lot of Booming and starvation soon when all the trucks stop working. 🙄

Sponsored

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
wow.

I said many many times, modern emission controlled consumer grade diesel engine are just TRASH. Let it go, it makes no sense at all. unless you just want a diesel dont care about down time, ownership cost, and all kinds of miserable electrical and mechanical problems just for the sake of diesel engine......

Come2elmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
07 Chev 2500 HD, 16 Chevy Burb
TFL Video with the Ram CEO on ecodiesel.

"All part of the plan"
"Hell of a product"

Almost didn't post as it was not very detailed...and a bit click baity..

Sponsored

Borderline Jeep

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Love your post. What kind of range are you seeing on a full tank of fuel?
-Chris

I'm absolutely thrilled that I was able to get the diesel in my Wrangler. Went out of my way to order it exactly how I wanted.

This Jeep is night and day better on the rocks than the high strung Pentastar. I crawl right up ledges that others have to throttle up with a bump and/or wheel spin. This engine is perfect for a Jeep and puts the gas offerings to shame.

I get 30 MPG on the back roads. I can pull over 25 MPG on the freeway. And I'm lifted on 35s. My fuel may be 20% more expensive but the 50%+ better mileage more than makes up for it. The DEF I have to put in once every 3 months or so is trivial.

On top of the better mileage I have a ton more power for getting up to speed and passing. Especially up at the top of mountain passes.

Some people bitch about the overheating when towing a heavy load. And that is a legitimate issue. The grill simply isn't big enough to allow enough air flow to properly cool the engine. But that is a fault of the Jeep, not the engine. The same engine in the RAM tows over 9,000 pounds plus the truck. The engine, if properly cooled, is a workhorse.

Beyond that, I contend that people pushing the max tow rating on any truck (and causing it to overheat) are using the wrong truck for the job and need to step up one level.

Sure, I'll never make a dent in the haters who come in to the discussion with their minds already made up. But the diesel in the Wrangler is far and away better than the Pentastar hands down. Better acceleration, better fuel economy, better rock crawling. It's just better in every way.

It's too bad we haven't had a decent domestic diesel to have run in the Wrangler over the years. But that's more the fault of the big 3 automakers. And that's another discussion entirely.

I'll be sad to see the diesel go. But I'll be enjoying my diesel for a while. I'm glad I got one while I could.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
Love your post. What kind of range are you seeing on a full tank of fuel?
-Chris
On the highway, 400+ miles easily. How much more depends on variables like speed, wind, time of year (summer vs winter fuel blends). Best of conditions I can push 500 miles. But I typically fill up at ¼ tank to keep the fuel pump cool. And I stop every 2 hours anyway so it's easy to top off every other stop.

Around town I don't really pay attention. I fill up when I see it getting low.

gsbrockman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Plus A8 & F8 Green
Occupation
Owner / Operator Brockman Hauling, LLC
Vehicle Showcase
And I stop every 2 hours anyway so it's easy to top off every other stop.
What’s up with that......do you have a bladder the size of a thimble? :movember:

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
What’s up with that......do you have a bladder the size of a thimble? :movember:
I like to get out and stretch my legs. On long road trips it helps out a lot. If I push through, I end up being wiped out when I get to where I'm going.

Gorilla57

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Mojito
My diesel is in the 1500 and I love it. 23-24mpg in town and 26mpg at 80mph. That’s with the 3.92 gears too, giving me an 800 mile range on a tank of fuel. I was hoping to trade it in 2-3 yrs from now for a new one, but there goes that idea. Guess I go back to a 3500 with a Cummins. I tow the buggy, which weighs 4000lb on a 2200lb trailer and it does great. I get 14mpg towing at 70mph.
Sponsored