Sponsored

SparkleTooth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Stellantis SUCKS
My current ecodiesel is the 5th wrangler that I have owned. 1 YJ, 2 TJs, 1JK, and now the JLURD. Without question the Diesel is the best engine you can put in a Wrangler, in my mind. The wrangler already is a very niche vehicle designed with really one purpose in mind. Everyone has been crying for a diesel for 30 years and now that we have one, most want to complain about it. I think most of the complaining is a result of trying to make themselves feel better for either not being able to afford it, or too worried to even try it based on the small percentage of forum users' bias and uneducated opinions about it.

Now everyone is screaming for a Hurricane, but I guarantee a large percentage of this forum will come out of the woodwork when/if it finally happens to complain about that as well. Most including myself will be afraid to even get one until it has been out for a couple/few years in the Wrangler. The 3.6 group will still talk about how "proven and tested" their V6 is and how the Hurricane is clearly going to "grenade" at some point.

Frankly I think FCA should limit their engine options and perfect those, while placing more focus on their abysmal electronics. Wrangler engines regardless of model will far outlast your UConnect and dash display turning into a damn mental patient.

Either way I am keeping my diesel and I hope they can continue it in the wrangler as long as possible because it truly continues to impress me every time I drive it.

PhoenixM3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GR86, 2023 Wrangler JLURD
I'm absolutely thrilled that I was able to get the diesel in my Wrangler. Went out of my way to order it exactly how I wanted.

This Jeep is night and day better on the rocks than the high strung Pentastar. I crawl right up ledges that others have to throttle up with a bump and/or wheel spin. This engine is perfect for a Jeep and puts the gas offerings to shame.

I get 30 MPG on the back roads. I can pull over 25 MPG on the freeway. And I'm lifted on 35s. My fuel may be 20% more expensive but the 50%+ better mileage more than makes up for it. The DEF I have to put in once every 3 months or so is trivial.

On top of the better mileage I have a ton more power for getting up to speed and passing. Especially up at the top of mountain passes.

Some people bitch about the overheating when towing a heavy load. And that is a legitimate issue. The grill simply isn't big enough to allow enough air flow to properly cool the engine. But that is a fault of the Jeep, not the engine. The same engine in the RAM tows over 9,000 pounds plus the truck. The engine, if properly cooled, is a workhorse.

Beyond that, I contend that people pushing the max tow rating on any truck (and causing it to overheat) are using the wrong truck for the job and need to step up one level.

Sure, I'll never make a dent in the haters who come in to the discussion with their minds already made up. But the diesel in the Wrangler is far and away better than the Pentastar hands down. Better acceleration, better fuel economy, better rock crawling. It's just better in every way.

It's too bad we haven't had a decent domestic diesel to have run in the Wrangler over the years. But that's more the fault of the big 3 automakers. And that's another discussion entirely.

I'll be sad to see the diesel go. But I'll be enjoying my diesel for a while. I'm glad I got one while I could.
Well said.

TJJL19

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Unlimited Sport
Maybe they should buy the GM 3.0 , the one in my Silverado has been flawless getting 30 mpg and great power . after all they have used the Iron Duke and the 2.8 v6 before , maybe gm will only sell their questionable power plants . ha ha
My wife drives my AT4 3.0 Diesel, she got 34.4 MPG on one trip, high of 40 MPG ( if gauge is on)
My 3.6 Jeep, is put to shame, on MPG, by the AT4.

Sponsored

21JLURDG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon 3.0 Gecko
I love my diesel, but it's not perfect. Neither is any other engine choice. While my biggest concern is predicted reliability, the actual performance has been phenomenal. There is nothing like being on a mountain pass at 5000 MSL and needing to pass that truck (JK 3.8?). Stomp on the throttle and the turbo doesn’t disappoint. Plus, I don’t think any vehicle in this era should be getting sub-20 mpg. My 1984 Porsche got ~25 MPG—so why are most V8 40 years later getting slightly better than 10 MPG? I just completed a 600-mile (mostly) dirt trail at an average of 17 MPG. In this group, two TJs (35s) carried 10 extra gallons just to make it between gas stations. I’d (37s) show up with ½ to 3/8 of a tank at the same station.

If my JL was a trail-only vehicle, a lightweight gas engine would be my preference. If it was a commuter only…never mind 🙄. In the future when my range anxiety has been cured, an EV Wrangler would be my choice. There are some proposed future diesel engines that meet current emission standards without the complexity of SCR; however, the EPA has proposed more stringent standards that would negate this.

PROS: Low-end torque, high altitude power, efficiency, range
CONS: Price, weight, routine maintenance cost, complexity
UNKNOWN: Reliability

five9dak

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bikini '20 JL Freedom, '99 Dakota R/T, '97 Boxster
For both gasoline and diesel direct injection engines, the juice isn't worth the squeeze for most consumers. They don't drive enough for the fuel savings (if any for diesel right now) to outweigh the initial cost difference, increased maintenance, lower reliability, and higher parts costs. High pressure fuel systems are a net negative for the consumer IMO. During the reasonable service life of these fuel systems, they will end needing pumps and injectors to the tune of four digit repair bills. Or carbon cleaning for the DGI stuff.

Port EFI is the sweet spot.

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel
If they do kill it, I’m glad I grabbed mine when I did. Love my diesel!
Me too. Another vehicle I love that I cannot get again. I missed on the G8 GXP (still trading from MSRP after 12 years) and the Chevy SS with a manual.

Terpsmandan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 2022 JLUR Diesel
Well damn, was about to order one....back to the drawing board, but hate all the other options except for the 392
As of this instant, you can order one.

Sponsored

zouch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XJ, JLUWD
my diesel was the best engine for a J**p i ever drove for all the reasons already listed by the people who actually got one, but the biggest reason i picked it was the range. it just happens to also be an absolute hoot to drive (when it works).

that said, we've since learned the CP4 pump was a lousy choice for a pump in any vehicle and has caused an unreasonable number of failures leading to its "unreliability" claims. were the JL implementation still to use a CP3 or something more reliable, or at least have a Disaster Prevention design so that it didn't require the replacement of the entire fuel system when it failed, they would have been awesome.

meanwhile, my local dealer is still working on a Star case with corporate trying to resolve why mine has a high idle,.. @JeepCares

Last edited:

Shark01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 392, 2005 Ford GT, 1999 Lamborghini Diablo
As of this instant, you can order one.
Correct, I’m concerned it will become a spare parts orphan built in fairly limited numbers for just 3-4 years.

We are suffering through that on our Ford GTs, some parts haven’t been available for years. For a weekend car you can just park it for several months, not with a daily.

The diesel continues to be the best fit for me, just a shame to see these engines canceled on other platforms.

Cutterone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sahara Sarge 6sp
Have you seen the new 4 banger turbo in the new Colorado/Canyon? Thing is putting down 430ish ft/lbs, from a four banger! What kind of sorcery is this!!!

Twojayhawks

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Sport Altitude
Occupation
business owner
JMO but I think OEM's do listen. Trouble is USA vehicle consumers are, how do you say nicely, unique. Over the last 50 years the "big 3" has released more laughable one hit wonder models based on their research. Research targeted at the American market only. Many have been duds and cost them many millions that could have been spent on better quality for less models. We've lost a lot of ground globally listening to the American consumer. JL offered with a 4cyl, 6cyl, V8, dsl, exe, seriously? That's a ton of money tied up with powertrain options that might have been spent making the JL even better with better quality. JMO

Shark01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 392, 2005 Ford GT, 1999 Lamborghini Diablo
For both gasoline and diesel direct injection engines, the juice isn't worth the squeeze for most consumers. They don't drive enough for the fuel savings (if any for diesel right now) to outweigh the initial cost difference, increased maintenance, lower reliability, and higher parts costs. High pressure fuel systems are a net negative for the consumer IMO. During the reasonable service life of these fuel systems, they will end needing pumps and injectors to the tune of four digit repair bills. Or carbon cleaning for the DGI stuff.

Port EFI is the sweet spot.
Keep in mind the better resale and probable longevity of the diesel, that mostly wipes out the upfront cost.

In particular, the use of a small 2.0 engine coupled with a turbocharger putting further strain on it bothers me as a Mechanical Engineer (specializing in heavy equipment). I have a 2.0T on my 3,500 lb Ford Escape, that has a decent Cd. Now take that same engine, put it into a 5,000 brick. An increase in boost is the result of needing to push around a heavier rig with a horrible Cd.

A diesel is the best fit for these Wranglers, the Honey Badger of engines. And all that excess torque is fun to drive with.
Sponsored