Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
I'm absolutely thrilled that I was able to get the diesel in my Wrangler. Went out of my way to order it exactly how I wanted.

This Jeep is night and day better on the rocks than the high strung Pentastar. I crawl right up ledges that others have to throttle up with a bump and/or wheel spin. This engine is perfect for a Jeep and puts the gas offerings to shame.

I get 30 MPG on the back roads. I can pull over 25 MPG on the freeway. And I'm lifted on 35s. My fuel may be 20% more expensive but the 50%+ better mileage more than makes up for it. The DEF I have to put in once every 3 months or so is trivial.

On top of the better mileage I have a ton more power for getting up to speed and passing. Especially up at the top of mountain passes.

Some people bitch about the overheating when towing a heavy load. And that is a legitimate issue. The grill simply isn't big enough to allow enough air flow to properly cool the engine. But that is a fault of the Jeep, not the engine. The same engine in the RAM tows over 9,000 pounds plus the truck. The engine, if properly cooled, is a workhorse.

Beyond that, I contend that people pushing the max tow rating on any truck (and causing it to overheat) are using the wrong truck for the job and need to step up one level.

Sure, I'll never make a dent in the haters who come in to the discussion with their minds already made up. But the diesel in the Wrangler is far and away better than the Pentastar hands down. Better acceleration, better fuel economy, better rock crawling. It's just better in every way.

It's too bad we haven't had a decent domestic diesel to have run in the Wrangler over the years. But that's more the fault of the big 3 automakers. And that's another discussion entirely.

I'll be sad to see the diesel go. But I'll be enjoying my diesel for a while. I'm glad I got one while I could.
Sponsored

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
So much vitriol about an engine some people either couldn't afford or were too afraid of, or both. Enjoy the peasant model you bought and get on with living. :devil: I bought it because I like the power, range, and clatter.

**Don't get me wrong though, if that hurricane comes around, that's the only other engine I'd give some attention to.

grimmjeeper

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.grimmjeeper.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler, 1987 Comanche, 1997 F250
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
enginerd
I bought my wife a 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited CRD in 2005. It was a great little vehicle, and, coming from the 3.7L gasser in the previous 2002 Liberty Sport.....was an absolute hoot to drive. It had the VM Motori 2.8L four banger in it.
dcp01126-jpg.jpg
Buddy of mine and his wife have a pair of CRD Liberties. If I could get a newer one I'd have it as a daily driver. But the ones I can find all seem to have 200K plus miles on them and that's when the serious money has to come out on engine maintenance. And a 16-18 year old Jeep starts having all the other issues as well.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
It still amazes me that none of these OEM's ask a single actual consumer what they want and instead have a bunch of sissies in corporate offices decide that we all want electric cars - wtf !!!
Exactly the same as our government for sure regardless of which lever you pulled
:mad:
Don’t blame Stellantis…it’s our government who is defacto pushing EVs because meeting CAFE standards will be impossible without significant EV sales.

Shark01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 392, 2005 Ford GT, 1999 Lamborghini Diablo
Well damn, was about to order one....back to the drawing board, but hate all the other options except for the 392

Sponsored

unsavory

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR 2.0T Auto, 2019 JLUR V6 Manual (sold)
... But the diesel in the Wrangler is far and away better than the Pentastar hands down. Better acceleration, better fuel economy, better rock crawling. It's just better in every way.
That's not exactly a glowing endorsement.

Xspurt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Juliet Lima
I know the engine has had issues but I had it in my 2015 1500 and it was great and that was one of the years involved in the FCA/EPA mess and class action lawsuit. Even though there have been issues with them in general, I'm surprised by this news. What engine doesn't have issues? :LOL:

driventoadventure

First Name
Lrr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Employed Gainfully
Clubs

Yes the wrangler diesel will be dead soon enough. Ford F150 killed the diesel. GM killed diesel in the Colorado. Jeep only did the Diesel because certain people were crying for it but in reality it’s the completely wrong vehicle for a diesel. diesels are for towing a jeep is the opposite of towing. Everybody knows this. You can’t even get this fake diesel in the gladiator with the max tow package. It’s just a compliance engine worthless. And good luck getting parts for those a decade from now. Lol. They’ll be throwing them away and doing conversions. Bet.
I beg to differ. The torque, and rev range it is available across is simply unbeatable. Where the gassers require you to floor it and keep the revs up, with the diesel, you just inch up to a boulder and practically idle right over it. The only "downsides" are that its power is so consistent and even that most of the time 4-low is too low for 90% of most trails, but because the gearing of 4-high is too high for you to have the fine control that many obstacles need. Also when you get to the few obstacles that you actually have to "send it" to get over (which realistically is very few) the engine revs very slowly compared to the gassers - but I personally argue that helps make you a better off-roader by forcing you to be more mindful of how to approach and overcome those obstacles; also, it is nice to actually use the winch once in a while...

driventoadventure

First Name
Lrr
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Employed Gainfully
Clubs

...But the diesel in the Wrangler is far and away better than the Pentastar hands down. Better acceleration, better fuel economy, better rock crawling. It's just better in every way.

It's too bad we haven't had a decent domestic diesel to have run in the Wrangler over the years. But that's more the fault of the big 3 automakers. And that's another discussion entirely.

I'll be sad to see the diesel go. But I'll be enjoying my diesel for a while. I'm glad I got one while I could.
It is more than the big 3 that are causing Diesel to fail. It is also the "coalbros" who make diesel owners look like total knobs. As a consequence of the "coalbros" it is the legislators who just blindly and broadly ban diesels (I can share a story on a personal interaction with one of those idiots who got all passenger diesels banned in their town because of freight trains if you want.) It is the convenience chasers who don't realize that everything about the engine is so much different that it's not too far akin to the difference between gas and electric. It is the sales people who then lie that "it's no different than a normal engine, just more efficient" and just want to chase the sale. Finally, and this is more of a chicken-and-egg complaint, but it is also the fuel stations who wanted to treat diesel fuel like it's a snake and they are the garden of Eden.

The only reason they rolled out a diesel is because of the fleet-average emissions, and even with the 2.0t's artificially high numbers, they had to have something more like the diesel to bring it up. With the 4xe and the economy of the hurricane bringing their numbers up, they can afford to stop offering it and the liabilities it has cost them due to systemic incompetence.

I am with you though. I intend to keep my Diesel JL until it simply can't be kept running. By then, I expect charging infrastructure will be as good as fuel infrastructure is so I can go full electric.

Last edited:

Astro Jeep

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Silver Zynith JLURD
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired Marine, Full-time Overlander.
I just did a 500 mile trip today and I averaged 26mpg doing 75mph the whole way. I am incredibly happy with my diesel and I am glad I bought it. As far as DEF goes I get it at the pump with the big rigs and pay an average of around $3-$4 a gallon vice $14 for a 2.5 gallon jug.

Sponsored

FCCinAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392XR
Sad to see it go. Even though I only owned it for a year before the buyback, I think it was the perfect engine for the Wrangler. Loads of low range torque, great fuel economy, and a pleasure to drive. I love my 392, but the diesel was better suited for the trail and all around performance. I know 392 owners talk about collectibility of their rigs, but I bet that the diesel will be the more sought after platform in the future for guys that plan to use their rig for what it is intended for. For those of you that own one, hold onto it as long as you can.

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Sorry to see the diesel go, but dang some of y’all diesel guys are intense. Y’all complain that people who don’t like the diesel are haters, then crow about how the Pentastar sucks balls. Maybe we just like different things?

Shark01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 392, 2005 Ford GT, 1999 Lamborghini Diablo
Wait for the straight 6 turbo ?
Certainly an option, but there are factors that make it unlikely for me:

1. No one has verified it would ever be put in a Wrangler
2. If they did it would make the most sense to debut it with the JL replacement in a year or two as a splashy marketing move
3. Introducing a new V6 would run counter to what most of us see as the corporate direction of going all electric (yuck)
4. Even if #2 happens, I don’t have enough stroke to buy one in the first year or two
5. I wouldn’t go from a discount under invoice to paying a market adjustment of say $10k to get the replacement
6. My current daily was t-boned in an accident this year and I want out of it so I’m not going to wait
Sponsored