Sponsored

Mattius1337

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport S(JL)
I can't find a clear answer on this, but does this ONLY charge with plugging in? Or does the turbo engine charge it when it's running? I have a pretty far drive to my mountain camping spots and need to know if it's even feasible with this model.
Sponsored

jahysea

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
00 TJ (sold), 08 JK Rubicon, 21 4xe Rubicon
I can't find a clear answer on this, but does this ONLY charge with plugging in? Or does the turbo engine charge it when it's running? I have a pretty far drive to my mountain camping spots and need to know if it's even feasible with this model.
Check the Owners Manual supplement P25 (https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/downloads/2021-Wrangler-4xe-Hybrid-Supplement.pdf)

When the vehicle is in E-Save mode AND you have the E-Save settings adjusted accordingly, the vehicle WILL charge the battery while driving, burning extra gas to do so. I saw somewhere approx 2 hours driving at 55mph will fully charge battery.

"Battery Charge - Uses additional power from the gas engine to increase the high voltage State of Charge, up to 95% capacity."

Nat's beauty

First Name
Nat
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Interesting. I have had 2 electric cars, my BMW i3 ONLY had strong regen braking, and I love it. My Chevy Bolt has light or strong and I never use anything but strong regen braking. In fact it annoys me that I have to select it every time I get in the car. Love the fact that in the 4xe you set it and it will remember. I will set it to strong regen and never touch that button again.

It is odd though, my friend got the new Toyota Prime Hybrid, and it does not have stong regen, even as an option! That would be a total dealbreaker for me.

I have never had a passenger comment ever on the strong regen braking. I mean I have showed people how it works and how I can stop for lights without ever touching the brake pedal, but no one has ever mentioned that it feels odd as a passenger. As for the people behind me, well I am slowing down, what do you want!

It massively saves your brake pads. I have 35k miles on the Bolt now, brake pads are fine!
I've had 2 Toyota hybrids. Both 'regen' during the first part of brake application. My 2nd one is at 205K with original brakes.

The Abbot

First Name
Garry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Rubicon
I agree, can't believe as of right now it's not 100% clear on the power/torque.

We know it has 470 torque and the diesel is 442. But I'm starting to think the diesel will have more torque/acceleration/power/speed than the 4xe due to the shifting drivetrains
Having driven both there is no comparison. The diesel is far slower off the mark and through the gears than the 4xe.

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
Like the 4xe concept a lot - but why the grotesque afterthought looking charge portal? No other plug in hybrid/EV does such a poor body integration as the Wrangler.

Sponsored

LJ_3M121318

First Name
LJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Having driven both there is no comparison. The diesel is far slower off the mark and through the gears than the 4xe.
Thanks for the info. Was it via short test drives? What else did you notice that was different?

TimnTexas

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Blackbear
I am curious of the driving experience and power pickup difference to the 2.0t. I see Jeep touting the 470 ft-lbf #s, but no one really seems all that excited about it after driving it? Maybe the extra 500# is detracting from it. Alternatively, Maybe it is great and I am wrong, but it seems pretty quiet out there....just have to wait on this until TFL Car posts a review.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Yes you would think first thing most would do is fully charge the battery and do a good pull to 60 to see how fast it is LOL

That is its best selling feature, the 375 HP and 470 TQ plus 7500$ kickback.

Instead folks are concerned about tow hook color.

Owning 2 Wranglers I would assume it pretty much the same save the extra HP/TQ and battery weight so the handling wont be as good.

Might buy one of these next year if they dont have a lot of issues, my dealer is supposed to get a Rubicon and will test drive it.

Dryver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe "Bridgette"

Sponsored

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
Yes you would think first thing most would do is fully charge the battery and do a good pull to 60 to see how fast it is LOL

That is its best selling feature, the 375 HP and 470 TQ plus 7500$ kickback.

Instead folks are concerned about tow hook color.

Owning 2 Wranglers I would assume it pretty much the same save the extra HP/TQ and battery weight so the handling wont be as good.

Might buy one of these next year if they dont have a lot of issues, my dealer is supposed to get a Rubicon and will test drive it.
When I put the poll out, the hp/torque group was in the minority. I'll be testing it hopefully late this week. The test drive experience will be interesting as it will need to be charged. I'm not sure how many jeep dealerships have level 2 charging yet so they can get a quick charge into the system for a true test drive.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
My Jeep dealer has the charger already mounted outside the service area on a wall, they have a hybrid Pacifica they charge up as a loaner every night. I am sure they will keep the battery 100% on any 4xe they get for test drives, not rocket science LOL

I would guess if you are given a test drive, simply find a back road, slow down to a stop, floor it and do a pull to see how it feels?? Only caveat is some stupid dealers dont put premium in the 2.0.
I test drove a Sahara 2019 with the 2.0 E-TQ and it didnt feel any quicker than out 2018 3.6 , I chalked it up to 87 Octane and the PCM pulled timing and limited boost, so didnt get to experience the full potential, gave my friend who is sales and told him, if your going to sell these things put good gas in them and lower the tire pressure! Dont flub the test drive over stupidty, your in the business to sell these, dont cheap out on the gas and over inflated tires ruining the test drive.

When they get their Rubicon will borrow it for a day and will tell him to put some 93 in it;)

BTA

First Name
brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
subaru legacy
This is very important, along with how many cupholders it has. Heck, having netting for side pockets always bothered me. 🙃

People joke, but I think I would lose my mind if I bought a new car for 50k and they left out the cup holders

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
My Jeep dealer has the charger already mounted outside the service area on a wall, they have a hybrid Pacifica they charge up as a loaner every night. I am sure they will keep the battery 100% on any 4xe they get for test drives, not rocket science LOL

I would guess if you are given a test drive, simply find a back road, slow down to a stop, floor it and do a pull to see how it feels?? Only caveat is some stupid dealers dont put premium in the 2.0.
I test drove a Sahara 2019 with the 2.0 E-TQ and it didnt feel any quicker than out 2018 3.6 , I chalked it up to 87 Octane and the PCM pulled timing and limited boost, so didnt get to experience the full potential, gave my friend who is sales and told him, if your going to sell these things put good gas in them and lower the tire pressure! Dont flub the test drive over stupidty, your in the business to sell these, dont cheap out on the gas and over inflated tires ruining the test drive.

When they get their Rubicon will borrow it for a day and will tell him to put some 93 in it;)
I'm sure some will be all over having a charging station but I'm also sure some won't. In my area the Jeep dealerships are going into their own buildings and not sharing areas with Dodge. I'd be surprised if mine doesn't have a charge station at some point but I've not seen one yet unless it is in the shop.
Sponsored