Sponsored

pdpardue

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 Cherokee sport, 2021 4xe rubicon
Clearly you have not owned a car with regenerative braking (which is the technical terms that includes "Braking" in the description). Regen dramatically slows the car down thus the brake lights come one to warn the cars behind. There is even a video of this on the 4xe that shows the brake lights coming on when it is set to regen and you coast. Regen actually feels like mild braking. People should not comment on what they have NO experience with...
I do currently have a phev so i do actually have experience. There is a difference between coasting and regen braking. Especially when it relates to cruise control.

now obviously the 4xE may be different than my current car but I would separate it into three functions, coasting, regen cruising, regen braking

coasting:
Drivetrain disconnects and the system does not activate recharging or braking

regen cruising:
Maintaining set speed on cruise control, especially on down hill segments charging happens but the system is not ‘braking’

regen braking:
System is actively braking either due to significant decrease of CC setting, adaptive CC braking, or manual braking.

As far as I’m aware, only the last scenario do the brake lights come on.

At least on my car manual driving and removing foot from the gas pedal, or while on cruise control, the car defaults to coasting as much as possible to maintain momentum.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
I do currently have a phev so i do actually have experience. There is a difference between coasting and regen braking. Especially when it relates to cruise control.

now obviously the 4xE may be different than my current car but I would separate it into three functions, coasting, regen cruising, regen braking

coasting:
Drivetrain disconnects and the system does not activate recharging or braking

regen cruising:
Maintaining set speed on cruise control, especially on down hill segments charging happens but the system is not ‘braking’

regen braking:
System is actively braking either due to significant decrease of CC setting, adaptive CC braking, or manual braking.

As far as I’m aware, only the last scenario do the brake lights come on.

At least on my car manual driving and removing foot from the gas pedal, or while on cruise control, the car defaults to coasting as much as possible to maintain momentum.
May want to read your 1st statement it was not referring to Cruise Control...

Sponsored

Dryver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe "Bridgette"
Good to know
Cherokee Trailhawk comes with a red tow hook because that is part of the trim level, just like on non-hybrid Wrangler Rubicon. I don't believe a red tow hook is standard for Sahara 4xe, so you got lucky. Maybe that's to help catch people's attention when you are regenerative braking. 🤣

Last edited:

Asterix2112

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 4xe
Cherokee Trailhawk comes with a red tow hook because that is part of the trim level, just like on non-hybrid Wrangler Rubicon. I don't believe a red tow hook is standard for Sahare 4xe, so you got lucky. Maybe that's to help catch people's attention when you are regenerative braking. 🤣
Maybe if I get a non-colorful tow hook I'll switch the one off my Trailhawk with the Sahara before I sell the Trailhawk!

pdpardue

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
May want to read your 1st statement it was not referring to Cruise Control...
I think this is one of those internet things where it’s getting lost in translation… :/

the original question was regarding if the brake lights come on while regen braking, as it seems that everyone assumes that when you take your foot off the gas and it starts charging that THAT is regen braking and hence the brake lights come on. In my experience it’s not, in fact the vast majority of my charging does not happen while braking but rather while cruising (either manually with foot off the ‘gas’ or with CC maintaining speed).

obviously my experience only applies to the phev I have and things may be different with the 4xe or other cars, but I verified this morning taking my roommate to work that the brake light only comes on when actively braking, and NOT just because the car is in charge mode (I.e., when you take the foot off the accelerator pedal). this applies to driving manually as well as in cruise control.

now, I’m sure there is a threshold that will cause the lights to come on, I often use cruise control and will lower the set speed when exiting the freeway going from freeway speeds to street speeds with CC only and I assume that at that point the system will opt to turn the lights on as I’m decelerating much faster than had I just disable CC and coasted to a slower speed over a longer distance.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
I think this is one of those internet things where it’s getting lost in translation… :/

the original question was regarding if the brake lights come on while regen braking, as it seems that everyone assumes that when you take your foot off the gas and it starts charging that THAT is regen braking and hence the brake lights come on. In my experience it’s not, in fact the vast majority of my charging does not happen while braking but rather while cruising (either manually with foot off the ‘gas’ or with CC maintaining speed).

obviously my experience only applies to the phev I have and things may be different with the 4xe or other cars, but I verified this morning taking my roommate to work that the brake light only comes on when actively braking, and NOT just because the car is in charge mode (I.e., when you take the foot off the accelerator pedal). this applies to driving manually as well as in cruise control.

now, I’m sure there is a threshold that will cause the lights to come on, I often use cruise control and will lower the set speed when exiting the freeway going from freeway speeds to street speeds with CC only and I assume that at that point the system will opt to turn the lights on as I’m decelerating much faster than had I just disable CC and coasted to a slower speed over a longer distance.
There is a video over on the 4xe facebook page from a new owner that specifically covers this and says the brake lights do come on during regen. It should be noted that Renerative Braking is a subjective term it is simply caused by releasing any throttle/acceleration and by default the resistance from the electric motors(that are now generating energy) slows the vehicle down. There may be some early PHEV that do not have it but everything new does. Our Tesla Regen is extremely aggressive whereas you can damn near drive the car without ever braking. I am sure the brake lights coming on have same countless accidents. Even my ebike has regen and the brake light comes on. it is clearly a THING now...

ps2baseball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR; 2012 Jeep GC Overland
Are the grill inserts silver or black? The look silver-ish here but black-ish on the builder page

Sponsored

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Are the grill inserts silver or black? The look silver-ish here but black-ish on the builder page
Inserts are silver, however easy to remove and paint, Same with headlight trim.

gentryTX

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I don't have much to add but thanks for the video! I bought a JLUR early in 2018 and now with 45,000 miles its kind of fun to see all these new options.

gman123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo V60, Volvo S60, Ordered 4XE Sahara
Ya I got the Sahara 4xe and was kinda a little frustrated they were silver because they were black in the build

pdpardue

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
There is a video over on the 4xe facebook page from a new owner that specifically covers this and says the brake lights do come on during regen. It should be noted that Renerative Braking is a subjective term it is simply caused by releasing any throttle/acceleration and by default the resistance from the electric motors(that are now generating energy) slows the vehicle down. There may be some early PHEV that do not have it but everything new does. Our Tesla Regen is extremely aggressive whereas you can damn near drive the car without ever braking. I am sure the brake lights coming on have same countless accidents. Even my ebike has regen and the brake light comes on. it is clearly a THING now...
I apologize then, as I said I only have experience with my current PHEV which is a 2018 so not terribly old, but as far as I know the brake lights only come on while braking, not just while recharging. It’s quite possible that the term regenerative braking now no longer means a specific thing but is the colloquialism for anytime the car is charging, much like say bandaid or Kleenex are both specific brand names but are now also generic terms for their respective products.

Roostre

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2-dr, 1949 Willy’s, 1994 F-350
Vehicle Showcase
The 2016 and up Chevy Volts triggers the brake lights whenever the power returning to the battery exceeds 14kw. Remember downshifting in a stick shift?? It feels similar to that level of deceleration.

I’m going to guess Jeep is doing something similar.

Early hybrids didn’t have this feature. I found out when I was rear ended.
Sponsored