Sponsored

phobos512

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I aspire to a 4xe
I was wondering how much interior room the battery would take up. I was hoping it would be even with the floor but that isn't the case. Thanks. And yes, I was one of those thinking of the overloading aspect. Still considering it even with the rise. Because of my height I may take out the front passenger seat too.
I guarantee you some aftermarket company will make a pull out rack that'll make the whole back area level and give you additional storage.

I didn't say it before but OP thanks for this post and the video!
Sponsored

ElHobbz

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 4wd Tacoma OR
Thanks for the upload! Just waiting to hear about the driving experience :rock:

OP
OP
Chris Hall

Chris Hall

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Smart Electric Drive, Wrangler 4XE coming soon.
I think his seats might be back pretty far. I am 5'9" and with my seating position, adults can sit comfortably behind me. I was thinking the same thing as you though, as it looks like not much leg room. I have a 2021 JLU
I'm 6'4" so I have it all the way back to the stops.

OP
OP
Chris Hall

Chris Hall

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Smart Electric Drive, Wrangler 4XE coming soon.
In your video it says 16.9 mpg, obviously it’s not been driven a lot at that point but have you found that so far to be accurate? Is that total mpg including electric or only counted while the engine is actually running?
They must have run it a bit before I picked it up. The average gas milage keeps going up as I drive it. Granted, I'm doing as much electric only driving as I can but I think it's up to 21 right now.

lightsout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon, 2018 Wrangler Sahara JL, Tesla S
Build Thread
Link
End of first day thoughts.

The 4XE will do at least 75 mph in all electric mode. That was one of my questions. I thought there might be a speed where the engine would turn on.

Acceleration in electric mode is buttery smooth and very quiet. For day to day driving in traffic, it is perfect. It is more powerful in electric mode than I expected. If you stomp on the accelerator pedal, it will start the gas engine. But you sort of learn where that spot is.

Max regen is spectacular. You can almost one pedal drive with it turned on. It takes a little bit to learn how to time it right. But I nailed it a couple times today where I was able to only apply the brakes for the last 5 or 6 feet. The brake lights come on when decelerating in max regen mode so other cars will know you are slowing.
The other thing I like about the Max regen is it seems to vary the amount of deceleration based on speed. It may be that it downshifts in the transmission or something but I noticed that it doesn’t hit as hard at higher speeds. It’s really enjoyable.

The transition from electric to gas is seamless. After driving in electric mode for a little bit, it’s almost disappointing to hear the engine kick on.

I also uploaded a walk around video to YouTube:

167298085_10157676049856857_7920891546486472698_n.jpg
Note: you need to get used to pissing folks off when using the regen. having a Telsa for 6 years and the brake lights coming on every time you take your foot off the gas people behind you think you are riding the brake to screwing with them. I do not use the regen much on the tesla, people who ride passenger tend to dislike the frequent feeling of braking. It is a different feel for driver and passenger

Sponsored

Tuneso

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cadillac CTS-V, Toyota Sequoia
End of first day thoughts.

The 4XE will do at least 75 mph in all electric mode. That was one of my questions. I thought there might be a speed where the engine would turn on.

Acceleration in electric mode is buttery smooth and very quiet. For day to day driving in traffic, it is perfect. It is more powerful in electric mode than I expected. If you stomp on the accelerator pedal, it will start the gas engine. But you sort of learn where that spot is.

Max regen is spectacular. You can almost one pedal drive with it turned on. It takes a little bit to learn how to time it right. But I nailed it a couple times today where I was able to only apply the brakes for the last 5 or 6 feet. The brake lights come on when decelerating in max regen mode so other cars will know you are slowing.
The other thing I like about the Max regen is it seems to vary the amount of deceleration based on speed. It may be that it downshifts in the transmission or something but I noticed that it doesn’t hit as hard at higher speeds. It’s really enjoyable.

The transition from electric to gas is seamless. After driving in electric mode for a little bit, it’s almost disappointing to hear the engine kick on.

I also uploaded a walk around video to YouTube:

167298085_10157676049856857_7920891546486472698_n.jpg
Great Job!!! Thanks for taking the time to post this... Makes me want mine even more

Arterius2

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara 2.0L
Yea, I just meant the Aux Switches would seem to indicate it's just as capable of handling accessories as any other model.
Why wouldn’t it? If anything it’s probably more capable since it’s has that giant 17kwh battery down there and it still has a 2.0T under the hood

MrKnowitall

First Name
Guenther
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU-R
Why wouldn’t it? If anything it’s probably more capable since it’s has that giant 17kwh battery down there and it still has a 2.0T under the hood
As long as the DC-DC converter is big enough, it should be fine. The one in the eTorque vehicles is 3kw, and I wouldn’t expect this one to be smaller.
As to the AC compressor, I’m sure that’s electric. Testing with or without AC may have caused much of the reduction in battery range.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
Great post. Congrats on being the first person to post a review of an actual 4xe that you own.

Can you do a drive with it and talk about the torque? I'm curious if the torque is split between PHEV and gas, meaning you only really get 200 lbs if running solely on one of those, and that you only get the 400+ torque when you are in hybrid mode?
The drivetrain is all electric. The motors are part of the transmission so it's always running in the high-torque mode. The engine kicks on when you put your foot into it to keep the battery charged.

greensprit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JK, 4xe on order
The drivetrain is all electric. The motors are part of the transmission so it's always running in the high-torque mode. The engine kicks on when you put your foot into it to keep the battery charged.
This absolutely not true. This is a parallel hybrid system, not a serial hybrid system.

Sponsored

StanleyCup99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler wannabe
Great video

Thanks

You got me pumped up right now..... I ordered my 4XE in the same color, but went with the high altitude, and I’m hoping to take delivery by tax day!!! 🤞

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This absolutely not true. This is a parallel hybrid system, not a serial hybrid system.
My apologies if I was misled, but that's always been my understanding: 470 ft-lbs of torque is always available since the system keeps battery reserve at all times. Maybe something changed since the first videos were released?

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From Autoblog: "The transmission and electric motor are sort of one unit, with the motor and clutch replacing the torque converter of the transmission." To me, having it's own unique transmission with a motor in lieu of a torque converter, and another drive motor as well, means all the power is available electrically as originally promised. There's only one input to the transfer case. What am I missing? I'm no hybrid expert, but I know a little about drivetrains.

Jeep Wrangler JL End of first day with the Wrangler 4XE thoughts / feedback 20210402_093337

Last edited:

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As long as the DC-DC converter is big enough, it should be fine. The one in the eTorque vehicles is 3kw, and I wouldn’t expect this one to be smaller.
As to the AC compressor, I’m sure that’s electric. Testing with or without AC may have caused much of the reduction in battery range.
To me the next logical question is: how long will the A/C run when you're parked in electric-only mode....aka.... sleeping in the back?

phobos512

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I aspire to a 4xe
From Autoblog: "The transmission and electric motor are sort of one unit, with the motor and clutch replacing the torque converter of the transmission." To me, having it's own unique transmission with a motor in lieu of a torque converter, and another drive motor as well, means all the power is available electrically as originally promised. There's only one input to the transfer case. What am I missing? I'm no hybrid expert, but I know a little about drivetrains.

Jeep Wrangler JL End of first day with the Wrangler 4XE thoughts / feedback 20210402_093337
https://www.autoblog.com/2020/09/04/2021-jeep-wrangler-4xe-hybrid-other-vehicles/

The electric motor can be removed via clutches.

https://newmobility.global/e-mobili...n-for-the-four-wheel-drive-jeep-wrangler-4xe/

The electric motor doesn't produce all that power/torque on it's own.
Sponsored