Enabling DRL on Sport S with CANBUS-type LED lights

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I have searched all afternoon and can't find an answer to this question.

I have a 2021 Sport S without the LED package. I put in Lasfit Switchback dual-color bulbs in the front fenders, and they have been working flawlessly for months now. They are white when the lights are on, and amber when turn signal is on.

I tried to use JSCAN to enable them to be DRLs with limited success. I'm using the ECRI SGW bypass module and the OBDLink MX+ ODBII module.I set the following options:

• Daytime Running Lamps Present - ACTIVE
  • DRL configuration - CANADA DRL
  • DRL Customer Setting On/Off - ACTIVE (made no diff, did not show as option on radio)
  • DRL Lamp Location - Turn Signal DRL
This worked, kind of, When I started the Jeep the front turn signals were bright amber, and as soon as I removed the parking brake they dimmed a little, but they stayed on as a DRL. Turn signals worked, lights went white if I turned on headlights, etc.

However, with in a few seconds I started getting all kinds of BULB OUT and TURN SIGNAL OUT warnings on the dash. This has never happened with these bulbs until I enabled DRLs. After chatting with JSCAN, I also then tried enabling the following individually and together, and it made no difference still got continuous warnings about bulbs being out.

• LED Light Settings / LED Front Turn Lamps Present - ON
  • LED Light Settings / LED Front Park/Marker lamps Present - ON
  • Checked the voltage setting, it's 13.2 or something like that for these positions. I thought maybe since they seemed to dim once I took the parking brake off that they were dropping to 7.x and causing the outage message but doesn't seem to be the case.
So I am wondering has anyone else successfully enabled DRLs on a non-LED equipped Sport with JSCAN and had it work right? I am aware that they won't run white, but amber, I can live with that.

One final annoyance is that I can set ONE option and hit GO, and it seems to take. If I try to do anything else I get this error:

Jeep Wrangler JL Enabling DRL on Sport S with CANBUS-type LED lights error

Then I have to disconnect JSCAN and start all over to make one more change, and repeat. Is this happening to everyone else too? It's quite annoying,

Thanks!
Sponsored

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Aerospace Forgings Test Lab
Vehicle Showcase
Subscribing as I'd like to enable DRLs on the wife's Sport S.

OP
OP
Chupacabra

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I heard from Piotr that the issue with JSCAN and the "Unexpected ECU Response" should be fixed in an update today, so hopefully it takes care of that issue.

Nobody else with a Sport has enabled DRL's with switchback LEDs in the fenders? I can't believe I'm the first bozo to try this. I really want the DRLs but not with the constant bulb out warnings.

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I'd like to add DRLs to the wife's JLUSS, but I haven't found a good solution that I like yet. What do they do up north for the mandated DRLs? The switchbacks wired up hot to a switched ignition lead is the best thing I can come up with, but the LED output isn't very bright.

ttepps

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Sport S
DRL function on the sport is only available by rewiring the fender harnesses. The DRL circuit is present on the body harness going to the fender connector but it is not present in the harness going to the halogen light assembly. You would need to wire that yourself and then use Jscan to activate that circuit.

Sponsored

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
The DRL circuit is present on the body harness going to the fender connector but it is not present in the harness going to the halogen light assembly. You would need to wire that yourself and then use Jscan to activate that circuit.
Really. Thanks for that. Any idea where in the body harness I can find that connection?

OP
OP
Chupacabra

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I thought though that you could enable the side turn lights to be "on" as DRLs. I really don't care if they are white or orange. I was able to enable them with JSCAN just fine, but then I got bulb out errors. They said I could disable the warnings too with JSCAN but really don't want to do that. They did work however as long as I ignored the bulb out issue.

OldBlue

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
See my Signature
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I don't want to deal w/ the bulb out issue. Rather just find a simpler solution.

ttepps

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Sport S
Really. Thanks for that. Any idea where in the body harness I can find that connection?
It’s on the body side of the connector for the fender connector for these lights. You can find the connector towards the back of the front fenders when you remove the inner fender.

I initially repinned the connector so the white strip on my aftermarket lights were DRL, but by moving the PIN in the connector I lost the park lamp functionality which made it not street legal at night. I had to change it back. You can repin the connector using a din tool. In order to get the white lights to work in both day and night like the stock LEDs they need to connect to both the park lamp and DRL circuit which would mean splicing them together and I am not going down that route. It may cause issues with the BCM or CANBUS systems.

Fender connector details are here. You’ll probably want to ask an expert before splicing the wires together to make sure you don’t damage any of the computer circuitry. The stock LEDs must have some different circuitry built in the get the white lights to run on both the parklamp and DRL circuits. I don’t recommend repinning because you’ll lose the front Park lamps at night.

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/JL-Wiring-Diagrams/LAMP-DRL-LEFT-BASE-connector-details.pdf
Sponsored