Enabling auto dim mirror in BCM

WarlockLord

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
So I spent the money and bought a UConnect 8.4 and auto dim mirror with assist and sos, along with the appropriate harness. Out of the box, before talking to the BCM on my Jeep and getting it's configuration, the mirror dimmer icon on the Uconnect was enabled and appeared to be working (see attached). After talking to the BCM and getting my Jeep's feature set (rear camera, Sirius etc started working), the icon disappeared.

I brought it into the dealer and they are certainly being accommodating in trying to help me get the auto dim mirror to work despite the Jeep not coming with it from the factory, but they're not sure what they need to do and if they even have the ability at their level to change it. They brought it in for a half hour yesterday and claimed it came out programmed, but the icon still doesn't exist on the Uconnect and the mirror does not seem to be dimming as needed. Does anyone know specifically what the dealer needs to do to enable this and if the tools available to them actually allow this change?

20191227_105148_004.jpg
Sponsored

lepcat

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Grey JLUR, Sky One Touch
So I spent the money and bought a UConnect 8.4 and auto dim mirror with assist and sos, along with the appropriate harness. Out of the box, before talking to the BCM on my Jeep and getting it's configuration, the mirror dimmer icon on the Uconnect was enabled and appeared to be working (see attached). After talking to the BCM and getting my Jeep's feature set (rear camera, Sirius etc started working), the icon disappeared.

I brought it into the dealer and they are certainly being accommodating in trying to help me get the auto dim mirror to work despite the Jeep not coming with it from the factory, but they're not sure what they need to do and if they even have the ability at their level to change it. They brought it in for a half hour yesterday and claimed it came out programmed, but the icon still doesn't exist on the Uconnect and the mirror does not seem to be dimming as needed. Does anyone know specifically what the dealer needs to do to enable this and if the tools available to them actually allow this change?

20191227_105148_004.jpg
Are you able to use the UConnect Guardian services?

OP
OP

WarlockLord

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are you able to use the UConnect Guardian services?
No and I doubt I'll ever be able to. I'm contemplating returning this UConnect before my 30 days is up and going a different direction like one of these Phoenix units. It is disappointing just how much these new Jeeps have been locked down by FCA.

lepcat

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Grey JLUR, Sky One Touch
No and I doubt I'll ever be able to. I'm contemplating returning this UConnect before my 30 days is up and going a different direction like one of these Phoenix units. It is disappointing just how much these new Jeeps have been locked down by FCA.
Yup. I completely agree with that statement.

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
U connect apps are apparently updated over the air. Recently has the off road pages disappear then reappear fire to a mistake pushed ot with the new Marketplace app.
Perhaps you need to have the dealer register the feature codes to your serial# so it pushes the right app set?

Sponsored

OP
OP

WarlockLord

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
U connect apps are apparently updated over the air. Recently has the off road pages disappear then reappear fire to a mistake pushed ot with the new Marketplace app.
Perhaps you need to have the dealer register the feature codes to your serial# so it pushes the right app set?
Which brings back my original question --- do they have the ability to do this? They can't add the UAQ radio as it's considered factory only. Can they add the mirror code?

Even so, the radio can't get the internet provisioned so I'm not sure how it would get the app over the air...

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
Which brings back my original question --- do they have the ability to do this? They can't add the UAQ radio as it's considered factory only. Can they add the mirror code?

Even so, the radio can't get the internet provisioned so I'm not sure how it would get the app over the air...
Wish I could help but I have no answers. I don't know what uConnect options are avail or what hardware is installed to support it on a Wrangler that didn't come equipped with it.

SRQgunner

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimted Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Did you purchase a new 8.4?

OP
OP

WarlockLord

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you purchase a new 8.4?
No it was used. But the 2019 model UAQs work differently... They read the programmed options from the BCM after they are powered up. They do not hold the options from the original VIN they came from.

Sponsored

SRQgunner

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
No it was used. But the 2019 model UAQs work differently... They read the programmed options from the BCM after they are powered up. They do not hold the options from the original VIN they came from.

Thanks for that information. I did not know there is a difference in the ‘18 vs ‘19 radios.

I tried a used 2018 8.4 UAQ made by Panasonic I got off eBay in my 2018 Sport S which came factory with 7” and Apline audio and dual climate control. Had to send it back as I ahas a green screen backup camera. Everything else expect Guardian worked which I did not expect.

I ordered a NEW 8.4 UAQ from Mopar wholesaler which will be delivered this Friday. Crossing my fingers!

I was talking with a Jeep technician on Facebook that said the units are self learning which reinforces your point that the 2019 units read the BCM to enable the features. This gives me hope.

thanks again for your response.

OP
OP

WarlockLord

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for that information. I did not know there is a difference in the ‘18 vs ‘19 radios.

I tried a used 2018 8.4 UAQ made by Panasonic I got off eBay in the 2018 Sport S which came factory with 7” and Apline audio and dual climate control. Had to send it back as I ahas a green screen backup camera. Everything else expect Guardian worked.

I ordered a NEW 8.4 UAQ from Mopar wholesaler which will be delivered this Friday. Crossing my fingers!

I was talking with a Jeep technician on Facebook that said the units are self learning which reinforces your point that the 2019 units read the BCM to enable the features. This gives me hope.

thanks again for your response.

I'm pretty sure you and I have been chatting about this on Facebook messenger....

SRQgunner

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I'm pretty sure you and I have been chatting about this on Facebook messenger....
Now that I see your name you are correct!

But thanks for sharing about the difference in the '18 and '19 radios? I was not aware of that. I'll be sure to look at the production date of this new one before I install. I'll let you know how it goes.

hiilong

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sport S

Jeep Wrangler JL Enabling auto dim mirror in BCM 20191227_105148_004
Hi, I just came across this thread. I just ordered an 8.4 UAQ from infotainment.com and I am also looking into the getting the auto dimming mirror. Can you describe how the wiring worked for the auto dimming mirror? Where did it plug into, and also do you have any ideas how it would be mounted with the ACC box? I have a 2020 Wrangler JLU Sport S that is equipped with ACC.

WAs the 8.4 inch from infotainment truly plug and play? Is it an OEM also?

Thanks!

OP
OP

WarlockLord

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi, I just came across this thread. I just ordered an 8.4 UAQ from infotainment.com and I am also looking into the getting the auto dimming mirror. Can you describe how the wiring worked for the auto dimming mirror? Where did it plug into, and also do you have any ideas how it would be mounted with the ACC box? I have a 2020 Wrangler JLU Sport S that is equipped with ACC.

WAs the 8.4 inch from infotainment truly plug and play? Is it an OEM also?

Thanks!

There is a replacement harness that you need that connects from the drivers side pillar, up and across the windshield header, to the passenger side pillar. This harness adds the additional connection for the auto dim mirror.

If you're question is in regards to the adaptive cruise control (ACC), I can't speak to it as I don't have that feature. For my application, I believe there were 2 bolts that held the original mirror in place, which I removed and bolted in the new mirror.
Sponsored