Sponsored

Emergency Equipment/Tools to keep in the jeep!

1JeepDad

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Sarge Green
Hello everyone,

Looking for suggestions as to what specific equipment / tools I should include in my emergency roadside kit to keep in our jeep.

Thanks!

Brian
Sponsored

MarkY3130

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
For everyday driving I have my recovery gear (straps/shackles/etc), a screw driver, a knife, a flashlight, and the little Torx kit that came with the Jeep. Also a bottle jack that is tall enough to work on my lifted Jeep.

When go offroad, I have a plastic trunk that contains the following:

Tools To Carry

• Ratchet strap
  • Shop towels
  • Air compressor
  • Recovery gear
  • Zip ties
  • Socket adapters
  • Motor oil
  • ATF+4
  • Gear oil
  • Ratchet extensions
  • Hammer
  • 18-24mm deep sockets
  • 3/4 socket
  • Trash bags
  • Toilet paper
  • Water jugs
  • Lighter
  • Wrenches. 8mm-24mm and SAE
  • Tire deflator
  • Loctite
  • Tire repair kit
  • Nitrile gloves
  • Duct Tape
  • Spark plug socket 5/8”
  • Torx bits
  • Pliers
  • Starter fluid
  • Steering/ pitman socket
  • Axle nut socket.
  • 1/2 drive ratchet
  • Pry bar
  • Craftsman tool kit (sockets)
  • Bottle jack and extensions/base plate

Deleted member 59098

Off-road an old Timbuk2 bag full of just about any tool to work on a Jeep. Road trip, basically just a ski jacket only.

KevinD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Gladiator
For everyday driving... <snip>
Also a bottle of jack...
I have a couple of different first aid kits, a fire extinguisher, an entrenching tool, some ratchet straps, spare bulbs & fuses, the Jeep Torx kit, gloves, moving pad, flashlight, a couple of other small things that don't come to mind.

Kevin

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
Looking for suggestions as to what specific equipment / tools I should include in my emergency roadside kit to keep in our jeep.
Since you're asking about preparedness while on the streets, not the trails:

The smallest loadout is a cell phone and a credit card. Add a AAA membership as desired. This will allow you to extricate you and the Jeep from just about anything...at varying expense.

If you want to be capable of self-rescue, even a modest kit will meet most anticipated needs. In addition to said phone and card(s), carry:

-A quality first aid kit (I use and recommend this brand)
-A quality flashlight
-Pen and small tablet
-Emergency poncho
-Spare fuses, bulbs, vehicle fluids, and a small air pump and tire plug kit (compulsory if you have a spare tire delete)
-A tool roll or bag stocked with a good assortment of combination wrenches, allen keys, a ratchet and sockets, zip ties, rubber gloves, rags, small can of spray lubricant, a length of 14 ga. automotive wire, etc.
-Lithium jump start battery
-Multi-tool, or a spring-assist pocket knife
-Self-defense tools as your ability and willingness allow
-At least $200.00 in $10s and $20s, rolled up in a small prescription bottle
-(Reserved for potential additional entries)

Do also consider a gallon storage bag stocked with shelf stable emergency rations, wet wipes, compressed toilet paper, hand sanitizer and the like. One of my earliest lessons during the Gulf War was that the ability to maintain one's personal hygiene during difficult situations is a real morale-booster.

If you really want to go the next level, stock a smallish hydration backpack with wool socks, undergarments, foot powder, a small AM/FM radio, a compass, electrolyte tablets and anything else you'd want on your person if you'd have to leave the vehicle and hoof it several miles home.

Sponsored

Bruce Willys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Willys, 2021 Wrangler Unlimited High Altitude
Jeep Wrangler JL Emergency Equipment/Tools to keep in the jeep! 4p6wu2

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
Only thing I'd add to the above is a charger for your phone.

Hound Dog

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Rubicon, 2002 TJ Rustomatic
Since you're asking about preparedness while on the streets, not the trails:

The smallest loadout is a cell phone and a credit card. Add a AAA membership as desired. This will allow you to extricate you and the Jeep from just about anything...at varying expense.

If you want to be capable of self-rescue, even a modest kit will meet most anticipated needs. In addition to said phone and card(s), carry:

-A quality first aid kit (I use and recommend this brand)
-A quality flashlight
-Pen and small tablet
-Emergency poncho
-Spare fuses, bulbs, vehicle fluids, and a small air pump and tire plug kit (compulsory if you have a spare tire delete)
-A tool roll or bag stocked with a good assortment of combination wrenches, allen keys, a ratchet and sockets, zip ties, rubber gloves, rags, small can of spray lubricant, a length of 14 ga. automotive wire, etc.
-Lithium jump start battery
-Multi-tool, or a spring-assist pocket knife
-Self-defense tools as your ability and willingness allow
-At least $200.00 in $10s and $20s, rolled up in a small prescription bottle
-(Reserved for potential additional entries)

Do also consider a gallon storage bag stocked with shelf stable emergency rations, wet wipes, compressed toilet paper, hand sanitizer and the like. One of my earliest lessons during the Gulf War was that the ability to maintain one's personal hygiene during difficult situations is a real morale-booster.

If you really want to go the next level, stock a smallish hydration backpack with wool socks, undergarments, foot powder, a small AM/FM radio, a compass, electrolyte tablets and anything else you'd want on your person if you'd have to leave the vehicle and hoof it several miles home.
So basically, you carry a get home bag. Good move. Add fire making supplies. I have been struggling with this in my soft top. Already looking for a hard top to replace it.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
So basically, you carry a get home bag. Good move.

I have been struggling with this in my soft top. Already looking for a hard top to replace it.
A GHB is a straightforward concept, but I'm still periodically surprised at the sheer resistance to it that some folks have when the subject comes up in conversation.

I've had to make that long walk. I've had to use my compass to unf*ck myself after the trail blazes, and then the trail itself, disappeared. I've needed those rations.

Those who think they can get by on their wits...might be in for a surprise.

RE: the bolded text -- are you referring to security concerns with a Get Home loadout that can't be easily shielded from view?

Sponsored

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
I have a tool kit with:
-socket set
-pliers
-wrenches
-box cutter/knife
-screwdrivers
-other odds and ends

Air compressor
Pocket knife
Multi tool
Lighter
2AA and 4D Mag Lites

Recovery gear
-snatch strap
-work gloves
-D-rings

And an assortment of bungees and ratchet straps.

I don’t venture too far from the suburbs but lots of times it’s nice to have this stuff just for other odds and ends not just for Jeep related stuff (fix random gear when out and about, rescue “lesser men” when they don’t have the right tool and I have it in my Jeep, etc 🤣

Morbo101

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler sport s
Bolt cutters and pry bar, tire inflator, flashlight, first aid kit, recovery strap and a knife and extra set of clothes and boots.

Whiskey 13

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLU Black Rubicon, LOD Signature Mid Width Bumper, Smittybilt Gen 3 12000 Lb. Winch Syn. Rope, Teraflex 1.5" Leveling Kit, Weather Tech Form Fit Mats, ROAM MK 3 Frame Mounted Rock Rails
For off road:
Shove
Axe
Jack
Fire Extinguisher
Quality First Aid Kit for more than one person
Hit and Run Bag with emergency food, water, good compass and topo map of your area if you can get one, 550 cord, weapons tape, your meds, self protection, extra cloths for your climate, emergency shelter, poncho, toilet paper, hygiene items, flash light, fire starters, Camp stove and fuel (such as Whisper Lite) quality knife, water purification tablets and collapsible storage container.
Jumper Cables
Sockets and wrenches mostly metric from 10 to 18mm at a minimum, pliers, assortment of bits and bit driver, multi tool, screw drivers
Straps, D rings, soft shackles, gloves

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I keep the following in the Jeep for everyday emergency stuff. I carry much for for off-roading.....

Fire Extinguisher
Flashlight
First Aid Kit.
Everything I need to change a tire
I have onboard air, so the air hose and air chuck is in the Jeep also.
a kinetic rope, shackles and winch controller. The basics for pull myself or someone else out of the ditch if needed.
a quality knife.
Sponsored