Sponsored

Elvis JOE TO PRO build.

scrape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat
Great job dude. A good way to visualize my previous point. Want to run the shocks on the right? Spend $200 on a spacer lift. Want to run the long boi on the left? RK X-factor is a great option.

Now with that said there is nothing wrong with a 10" shock! If you've got rubi fenders and a chop kit with 35s and maybe you only need 1" of extra bump stop, a 10" shock is a great option. But arrowhead clearly needs that 3" or whatever of extra bump, and he already has the RK kit, so a 12" shock is the right choice for sure, and he is getting all the value out of those suspension components.
Sponsored

Arrowhead

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I took the approach function over form. I wanted full articulation using all of the shock stroke (needed 3" of front bump stop to keep the shock from bottoming). I did that first and just kept cutting plastic until it everything fit.

OP
OP
ElvisJL

ElvisJL

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
This goes with most things in life and I'm finding this isn't any different in the offroad scene but ask 10 people the same question and you're bound to get 10 different answers. We all have the "perfect" build in mind, that differs for everyone, and that's alright. As mentioned previously, this is my first build. All the previous jeeps I've owned were bought modified and I took them out as is. If something broke, it got fixed. I never really pushed my abilities or my jeeps abilities. This entire thread is part of my researching the build out and educating myself on where money is best spent and where it's wasted. If I was about form over function, I'd already have a cheap lift and 35's installed and call it day. Instead it's bringing back a hobby I'm going to invest time and effort into and I have no issues reading something and saying "hey you're right, that's a better idea". Sometimes we get excited and get a bit of tunnel vision, which is where the input and feedback really comes in handy.

Here's a question for those that have already built Jeeps. If you could start over and you were going building in stages, how would you build your stages? What would you do differently from your original build? Where would you say you made a mistake the first go around?

OP
OP
ElvisJL

ElvisJL

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
On another note, I located a set of Rubicon highline fenders and liners for the front and rear that I'll be picking up and installing with stage one. Seems like a good and inexpensive to gain some additional clearance. I've also found a M220 D44 axle with the limited slip differential for a smoking deal and I'm going to jump on.

bkjolly

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75 CJ-5
On another note, I located a set of Rubicon highline fenders and liners for the front and rear that I'll be picking up and installing with stage one. Seems like a good and inexpensive to gain some additional clearance. I've also found a M220 D44 axle with the limited slip differential for a smoking deal and I'm going to jump on.
If you want a good compromise between on and offroad I think the Trail Grapplers would be the perfect choice for you.

Sponsored

scrape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiat
If I was about form over function, I'd already have a cheap lift and 35's installed and call it day.
What do you mean by “cheap”, and why would that be form over function?

Biohazard

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (sold May 2020); now own 2020 trd pro Tacoma
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
In answer to your question about build mistakes:

This is my third jeep build. First one was an XJ, started with a spacer lift and slowly added bumper/winch, roof rack, etc. . Took all the stuff except the spacer lift off and bought another XJ and did 4.5 inches of lift and 32's.

Current build: 2018 JLUR on icon stage 8 2.5 inch lift, 37's, Winch/roof rack.

Building with goals of functionality, quality, and community, I think are the most important things I've learned.

Functionality: if it is just for looks, it's a waste. My lift gave me room for 37 inch tires and 30% more travel up front, 20% rear, adjustable dampening for variable loads, and minimal fade for speed off road.

Quality: save up for the option that works and is reliable. All three builds (and multiple pieces of adventure gear) have seen me buy a cheap something in an attempt to save a buck, then have to go and buy the high quality one later anyway. If you can't afford it, just wait and save. Will save you money and time in the long run.

Community: I have a wife and 3 kids. This thing is built to take them with me. Everything from stickers helping us remember our adventures to tactical baby gear for daily needs keeps them happy and at ease in "Daddy's Jeep." Talking with others about getting out and seeing God's world, noting His design in everything, and engaging in fun technical (and non-technical) conversation, and enjoyment of good food and drink is what this is all about.

2B42C343-4DFE-41D9-B4B4-802815BC89B3.jpeg

OP
OP
ElvisJL

ElvisJL

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
What do you mean by “cheap”, and why would that be form over function?
By cheap I mean inexpensive, less functional, spacer lift that. One for a little extra height and nothing else.

OP
OP
ElvisJL

ElvisJL

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
If you want a good compromise between on and offroad I think the Trail Grapplers would be the perfect choice for you.
I was actually looking at the Ridge Grapplers, they seemed like a good choice on road but have a beefy sidewall for mud and rocks. The trail grapplers are more of a mud tire aren't they?

bkjolly

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75 CJ-5
I was actually looking at the Ridge Grapplers, they seemed like a good choice on road but have a beefy sidewall for mud and rocks. The trail grapplers are more of a mud tire aren't they?
They're supposed to in between the Terra Grappler and the M/T.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ElvisJL

ElvisJL

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
They're supposed to in between the Terra Grappler and the M/T.
Wait nevermind, I was thinking of the Trail Grappler, which is the M/T. Yeah the Terra Grappler is the A/T tire and the Ridge Grappler is the hybrid.

bkjolly

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75 CJ-5
Wait nevermind, I was thinking of the Trail Grappler, which is the M/T. Yeah the Terra Grappler is the A/T tire and the Ridge Grappler is the hybrid.
No they have an actual M/T also and the Trail Grappler is between that and the Terra Grappler. The Ridge Grappler is the A/T and the Trail Grappler is the hybrid apparently.

bkjolly

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75 CJ-5
"
The Trail Grappler M/T blends some of the performance of the Mud Grappler with the on-road comfort of the Terra Grappler to create an off-road tire that is both aggressive and quiet.

For off-road performance, the 3-ply sidewall and thick rubber construction increase puncture resistance. On the tread surface, the blocks provide additional biting edges that command lateral stability and enhance forward traction. For on-road comfort, Nitto’s engineers used advanced sound analysis equipment to systematically reduce noise levels commonly associated with off-road tires for a quieter drive."

OP
OP
ElvisJL

ElvisJL

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
So I'm planning on the ones on the top right. I've read nothing but good things about them.

YpqCWq3.png