Sponsored

Eliminating the auxiliary battery

Genesis Offroad

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 JK Rubicon, '18 JL Rubicon, '21 JT Rubicon
For sure. I knew all about the 48v battery. I just didnt know on the E-Torque if yall had a 2 battery setup that works on the 3.6l Etorque. I am wanting to do exactly what you described. If I Dont have a second smaller aux battery, Can I still install your 2 battery setup.

Yes, absolutely. If you do not have the second small aux battery under the fuse box, then you will simply skip that part of the installation instructions, so it's a bit easier, but the features and functionality are the same.
Sponsored

shane h.

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR (mine), '21 Hellayella JLUR (hers)
I have a 2018 Jlur that I’ve bought in March of ’18. One of the 1st mods was to install the Autostop eliminator to turn of the stop/start. Which I leave on so the Jeep doesn’t turn off.
My question is. My Jeep is 4 years old and I still have my the original batteries and I want to delete the auxiliary battery.
What can I do to permanently remove the auxiliary battery on my Jeep?
2019 JLUR with 37K miles.

My batteries died last Tuesday. I was going to just replace both with (hopefully) better quality batteries, but the Aux14 battery is unavailable in my area, so I eliminated the Aux battery out of necessity.

I pulled the passenger front fender, removed the Aux battery, ran the positive cable up from the Aux battery position, and hooked that positive cable up to the new H7 AGM main battery. Removed the Aux ground from the main battery negative terminal and taped it off.

Have run this set up now for 6 days and about 200 miles without issue. Charging voltage has dropped from a constant 14.1+volts down to 12.7-13.0volts. I don't see a reason not to do the Aux delete, but I am not an electrical engineer.

People will tell you to just run the jumper. This just seemed to be a cleaner alternative. Think of it as a permanent jumper. Note - I run a Tazer to keep ESS turned off at all times (among other things).

loracekim

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Rubicon Unlimited
Shane as the answer above. I also completely eliminated my aux battery. No warning lights and everything works. Just remove it and never worry again. I ran the aux positive up to the main battery positive. Have to gentle pull and reroute the wire up but had enough.
I replaced the main with a AGM with higher CCA 850. But also worked with factory battery for a while. Now much easier to jump start. No bypass etc. Easier to use a drip charger if needed. Like Shane I have a Tazer and shut off ESS since it may drain the main battery to low at a long stop to allow the main battery to start again.
I live in the country so most my stops are signs and hated the off then immediate start at intersections

Djoseph1174

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon

My batteries died last Tuesday. I was going to just replace both with (hopefully) better quality batteries, but the Aux14 battery is unavailable in my area, so I eliminated the Aux battery out of necessity.

I pulled the passenger front fender, removed the Aux battery, ran the positive cable up from the Aux battery position, and hooked that positive cable up to the new H7 AGM main battery. Removed the Aux ground from the main battery negative terminal and taped it off.

Have run this set up now for 6 days and about 200 miles without issue. Charging voltage has dropped from a constant 14.1+volts down to 12.7-13.0volts. I don't see a reason not to do the Aux delete, but I am not an electrical engineer.

People will tell you to just run the jumper. This just seemed to be a cleaner alternative. Think of it as a permanent jumper. Note - I run a Tazer to keep ESS turned off at all times (among other things).

I want to do this. I see that is has been a few months since you have done this. Any issues?

Sponsored

Djoseph1174

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon
I have already changed out my aux battery once. I went thru the fender. But I think for this one I will have to do it from the top so I can fish the cable thru. Thanks for the advice.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
I have already changed out my aux battery once. I went thru the fender. But I think for this one I will have to do it from the top so I can fish the cable thru. Thanks for the advice.
You don't need to pull PDC so you can fish pos cable up through bottom of main battery box. Very foolish to pull PDC .

DanFelix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S

If the ESS did engage, would the engine still stop and accessories would pull from Main until restart? Does removing the Aux negative from the Main confuse the IBS or is it not an issue? Much appreciated. Thanks.

shane h.

First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR (mine), '21 Hellayella JLUR (hers)
If the ESS did engage, would the engine still stop and accessories would pull from Main until restart? Does removing the Aux negative from the Main confuse the IBS or is it not an issue? Much appreciated. Thanks.
I am no electrical engineer, so take what I say with a huge grain of salt.

I've played with the ESS a couple of times just to see what would happen. Seems to work just as if there were still a dinky motorcycle battery down below. I have a tazer and keep the ESS turned off - I hate it. I do not know what the long term effects of ESS on the single battery would be.

No issue with the IBS. The way I have this set up I cannot see any way the vehicle knows the auxiliary battery is gone.

Sponsored

loracekim

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If the ESS activates with the Aux battery removed and the Aux positive cable redirected and attached to the main the Jeep thinks the main is also the aux battery. So yes it will draw power from the main. Some cars with ESS only have one battery but only draw the battery down to a higher set point before auto restarting at a stop. Jeeps is set lower so it may drain the main battery to low before auto restart thinking it was reading the aux battery voltage and still had a full main to start. Maybe draining the main to low to restart. Since I'm not sure how to reprogram the restart point it's best not to use ESS if u remove the aux.
I did NOT disconnect any ground from the main battery. Only from the aux battery. I so far have just left the aux ground unconnected. Most likey u could disconnect it also at the main. But not sure it needs to be there for when the Jeep does a battery voltage check at start up on the aux battery. Won't hurt having a loose ground from the aux battery lying open since it's a ground. But some owners tape it up some add extension and connect to the main. But I think that just craats a loop off the main. So I just left mine lying free.
No problems so far.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
If the ESS activates with the Aux battery removed and the Aux positive cable redirected and attached to the main the Jeep thinks the main is also the aux battery. So yes it will draw power from the main. Some cars with ESS only have one battery but only draw the battery down to a higher set point before auto restarting at a stop. Jeeps is set lower so it may drain the main battery to low before auto restart thinking it was reading the aux battery voltage and still had a full main to start. Maybe draining the main to low to restart. Since I'm not sure how to reprogram the restart point it's best not to use ESS if u remove the aux.
I did NOT disconnect any ground from the main battery. Only from the aux battery. I so far have just left the aux ground unconnected. Most likey u could disconnect it also at the main. But not sure it needs to be there for when the Jeep does a battery voltage check at start up on the aux battery. Won't hurt having a loose ground from the aux battery lying open since it's a ground. But some owners tape it up some add extension and connect to the main. But I think that just craats a loop off the main. So I just left mine lying free.
No problems so far.
Both battery voltages are monitored when ESS is activated, the system will know if the main battery voltage goes down.

KeithF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 80th Anniversary
I dont see a reason for the 2nd battery, my wife’s Honda Passport has the same identical battery as my main battery in the Jeep. The Passport has a V6 and just as much if not more electronics and was only designed with the one battery. I’ll be doing this mod when the aux battery starts giving problems.

loracekim

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If the ESS activates with the Aux battery removed and the Aux positive cable redirected and attached to the main the Jeep thinks the main is also the aux battery. So yes it will draw power from the main. Some cars with ESS only have one battery but only draw the battery down to a higher set point before auto restarting at a stop. Jeeps is set lower so it may drain the main battery to low before auto restart thinking it was reading the aux battery voltage and still had a full main to start. Maybe draining the main to low to restart Since I'm not sure how to reprogram the restart point it's best not to use ESS if u remove the aux.
No problems so far.
Both battery voltages are monitored when ESS is activated, the system will know if the main battery voltage goes down.
Good to know, I heard mixed things on this. but probably still dont want to be stressing your main at every ESS stop. Also another debate I really don't think the ESS really saves gas especially for me since its seldom off for more then 5 secs at my stops.
Do what u want, but mines been working great with only the main battery and ESS off.

Extremneon

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Great thread.

Did this mod today to get rid of the aux battery. I just left the negative terminal unhooked and taped is up and left in the aux tray. The positive power connector I worked out of the wire loom and routed it back to the main battery terminal. I did have to cut one wing off the connection from the aux battery positive and enlarge the opening for the stud on the battery post.

I also upgraded to a larger battery than the OEM one.

Jeep Wrangler JL Eliminating the auxiliary battery 2DF54409-C819-48FF-9A60-9960EFE34D51
Sponsored