First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.MyVillageRadio.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe
I'm trying to help a friend with his new to him used JL. The previous owner smoked in it. With the air conditioning on I can only sit in there for a few minutes before my eyes start to water. Other than the Ozone machine method, how can he eliminate the smoke odor?

Also, what happened to the thread with all the pictures of lovely young ladies and their Jeeps?

Thanks!
Sponsored

MrGneissGuy

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport
We had a car with a similar problem. Aside from thoroughly cleaning everything and shampooing the upholstery, replace the cabin air filter (you'll never get rid of the smell unless you do). After that, I got a car odor bomb (I can't remember which one, maybe Turtle Wax?). I'm not sure it got it 100%, but it was definitely better.

Heimkehr

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
I'm trying to help a friend with his new to him used JL. The previous owner smoked in it. With the air conditioning on I can only sit in there for a few minutes before my eyes start to water. Other than the Ozone machine method, how can he eliminate the smoke odor?
The Ozone machine method will be the only one with staying power. The rest are band-aids with varying degrees of short-term effectiveness. Voice of experience here.

One thing to consider, after the Ozone treatment (seriously, it's worth the expense) are seat covers, esp. if your friend's Wrangler has cloth seat cover material. I say this because your watery eyes comment suggests the odor is pretty significant.

Black96z

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4XE, Tesla Model S
Occupation
Machinist, Applications Engineer
Try putting some dryer sheets under the seats for a few days...

Billy Baldone

First Name
William Stutz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 JL Willy's
P&S Odor Doc. it will set you back around $30. It is the equivalence of a 1 time ozone treatment. but keep in mind, very few pro detailers can guarantee 100% smoke elimination

Sponsored

The Last Cowboy

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL Willys 2 door
Occupation
Wandering Vaquero
Thoroughly clean every surface inside the vehicle with a diluted vinegar solution. This includes the windows, door panels, dash, inside hardtop surfaces etc. Pull the carpets out (easy to do) and clean them well. Allow them to dry in direct sunlight. Clean all of the upholstery front, back sides. I like a product called Tuff Stuff for the seats and carpet. Clean the bare floor with a mild soapy solution. Air it out afterward. Leave the doors open for a few hours.

For the AC, try Lysol. First remove the cabin air filter and throw it away. Set the AC fan on high, but not on max. Spray the Lysol into the intake vents on the cowling. Have all the windows closed when you do this. Spray a lot of it. When you begin to smell it inside, then you know it’s getting through the ducts. Also then just let it run and circulate for awhile. After that replace the AC cabin filter. You can tape a dryer sheet over the pleats for a fresher smell inside.

Once everything is clean and dry, sprinkle a good amount of baking soda on the carpet, work it in with a dry scrub brush, vacuum it all out, then put the carpet back in. Put some dryer sheets under the seat. Some like a box of baking soda. Sitting a paper plate overnight with a pile of coffee grounds on it seems to work for some people too.

Good luck. You may find that the smell isn't completely gone after doing all of that. But it will greatly improve things and the smell will fade after time.

Ozone machines work well, but they can be very hard on plastics and leather. Many times plastic dashboards will have a permanent tack or slightly sticky feeling afterwards and it can slightly yellow the clear plastic on the dash gauges.

That having been said. It seems like I see more smokers in Jeeps that any other late model vehicles out there.

Last edited:

Tar Heel Wrangler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Willys Sport, JT Mojave, Sold JLU Sport S
Occupation
Cigar & IPA Snob
I smoked cigars in my JL, smoke now in my JT (both soft tops). Sold JL to Carvana and it didn't have any smoke smell.

I assume your friend has a hard top. Try going naked for spell and air it out.

Rodeoflyer

First Name
Bert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep JLUR; 2016 Ram Powerwagon
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds like it's mostly in the vents. Replace the cabin air filter and run the blower on full blast with recirc off for several days when driving with the windows down. Other than that 'the last cowboys' ideas sound great.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
I take the carpet out and pressure wash it. I don't have an upholstery cleaner, so I take a bucket of water with resolve carpet cleaner (or other carpet/upholstery cleaner) mixed in and use a soft shoe shine brush to soak the surface of the seats with it, one section at a time. This is followed immediately with a shop vac to suck the cleaning solution out of the seat.
Sponsored