Sponsored

Elephant Hill?! (Bobby's Hole?, Beef Basin?)

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CTS-V, 2018 JLU Sport Firecracker Red
Planning a trip to Moab in a couple of weeks. Current plan is to stay around Needles District, Lockhart Basin, may not even get into the town itself. If I can get a permit I want to drive over Elephant Hill, and then either drive back over Elephant Hill on the way out or keep going south through Bobby's Hole and Beef Basin. I'm not so concerned about Elephant Hill but conditions further south can vary and I would be traveling alone. I want to get there and be gone well before the Jeep Safari hits.

I have a 2018 JLU Sport with Rubicon takeoff tires and I hope to get my Rubicon takeoff suspension installed before the trip. My daughter is going along and we will be tent camping.

I don't think the Sport with Rubicon takeoffs will have any problems on Elephant Hill but if someone has done it with 33s please let me know how it went. And especially if you have any knowledge of conditions further south.

I've decided if I'm going to go the places I have planned, I have to start doing it now. I have at least 5 locations planned for Utah that would have to be done in spring and fall, and 3 or 4 for Colorado for summer. My daughter moved to Denver and wants me to come visit occasionally so that at least gets me going that direction.
Sponsored

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I did Elephant Hill back in July. It is a great trail. I think you will be fine with your set up. Make sure you hike the slot on the trail and out to the overlook. It was a fun day in the Jeep for us.

Some pics so you know what you are in for.
Jeep Wrangler JL Elephant Hill?!  (Bobby's Hole?, Beef Basin?) 1614171488774

Jeep Wrangler JL Elephant Hill?!  (Bobby's Hole?, Beef Basin?) 1614171526001

Jeep Wrangler JL Elephant Hill?!  (Bobby's Hole?, Beef Basin?) 1614171555177

Jeep Wrangler JL Elephant Hill?!  (Bobby's Hole?, Beef Basin?) 1614171595023

Jeep Wrangler JL Elephant Hill?!  (Bobby's Hole?, Beef Basin?) 1614171629948

Jeep Wrangler JL Elephant Hill?!  (Bobby's Hole?, Beef Basin?) 1614171674851

Jeep Wrangler JL Elephant Hill?!  (Bobby's Hole?, Beef Basin?) 1614171710282

Jeep Wrangler JL Elephant Hill?!  (Bobby's Hole?, Beef Basin?) 1614171795955

Jeep Wrangler JL Elephant Hill?!  (Bobby's Hole?, Beef Basin?) 1614171833852

Jeep Wrangler JL Elephant Hill?!  (Bobby's Hole?, Beef Basin?) 1614171864924

Jeep Wrangler JL Elephant Hill?!  (Bobby's Hole?, Beef Basin?) 1614171895489

Jeep Wrangler JL Elephant Hill?!  (Bobby's Hole?, Beef Basin?) 1614171933437

Jeep Wrangler JL Elephant Hill?!  (Bobby's Hole?, Beef Basin?) 1614172090639

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
I did Elephant Hill back in July. It is a great trail. I think you will be fine with your set up. Make sure you hike the slot on the trail and out to the overlook. It was a fun day in the Jeep for us.

Some pics so you know what you are in for.
Great photos. Thanks for posting.

OP
OP

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did Elephant Hill back in July. It is a great trail. I think you will be fine with your set up. Make sure you hike the slot on the trail and out to the overlook.
You are right- it is some great hiking. Many years ago I did the trail out to Chesler Park and through the joint trail on a 2-day backpack. The last time I was there (12 years ago) my daughter and I hiked from the Elephant Hill parking area south and around Chesler Park, through the joint trial, past Devils Kitchen campsite, then back north on the road and over Elephant Hill.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Planning a trip to Moab in a couple of weeks. Current plan is to stay around Needles District, Lockhart Basin, may not even get into the town itself. If I can get a permit I want to drive over Elephant Hill, and then either drive back over Elephant Hill on the way out or keep going south through Bobby's Hole and Beef Basin. I'm not so concerned about Elephant Hill but conditions further south can vary and I would be traveling alone. I want to get there and be gone well before the Jeep Safari hits.

I have a 2018 JLU Sport with Rubicon takeoff tires and I hope to get my Rubicon takeoff suspension installed before the trip. My daughter is going along and we will be tent camping.

I don't think the Sport with Rubicon takeoffs will have any problems on Elephant Hill but if someone has done it with 33s please let me know how it went. And especially if you have any knowledge of conditions further south.

I've decided if I'm going to go the places I have planned, I have to start doing it now. I have at least 5 locations planned for Utah that would have to be done in spring and fall, and 3 or 4 for Colorado for summer. My daughter moved to Denver and wants me to come visit occasionally so that at least gets me going that direction.
LOVE Elephant Hill! When are you going? We'll be there EOJ week. Not sure if we'll get passes for the 6 Jeeps in our group, but we'll try. Anyone know how many passes they issue per day?

Sponsored

NBB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR
Bobby's Hole is much harder than Elephant Hill. I've done it perhaps 3 times over many years. Conditions change frequently. Best to ask someone who has done it recently or call the visitor center. It's best traveled downhill from Beef Basin and into the park. Best bang for the buck is out and back on Elephant Hill and loop through the Needles. Spend your time and energy hiking and site seeing in the Needles rather than a long day in the comparably boring and sandy cow pastures of Beef Basin. The Ruins are worth seeing, if you do have the time and interest for the larger loop.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
LOVE Elephant Hill! When are you going? We'll be there EOJ week. Not sure if we'll get passes for the 6 Jeeps in our group, but we'll try. Anyone know how many passes they issue per day?
I believe it is 25 vehicles per day.

OP
OP

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bobby's Hole is much harder than Elephant Hill. I've done it perhaps 3 times over many years. Conditions change frequently. Best to ask someone who has done it recently or call the visitor center. It's best traveled downhill from Beef Basin and into the park. Best bang for the buck is out and back on Elephant Hill and loop through the Needles. Spend your time and energy hiking and site seeing in the Needles rather than a long day in the comparably boring and sandy cow pastures of Beef Basin. The Ruins are worth seeing, if you do have the time and interest for the larger loop.
I'm going in about 2 weeks. There will only be 2 of us in one vehicle. If we get a camping permit in the park we would have room for more if anybody wants to join.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I'm thinking we'll have an uphill battle getting 6 Jeeps registered for it if there are only 25 spots and it is during EOJ week. Bummer. One of my very favorite trails!

Namib

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
I'm going in about 2 weeks. There will only be 2 of us in one vehicle. If we get a camping permit in the park we would have room for more if anybody wants to join.
I will be there next week. (March 9-12). Not camping, but i am looking for somebody to join on some of the trails.

OP
OP

txj2go

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will be there next week. (March 9-12). Not camping, but i am looking for somebody to join on some of the trails.
Have a good time! We won't arrive until the 13th.
Sponsored