DexterJeeper

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU Rubicon X, 19 JLU Rubicon, 23 JL392XR
Vehicle Showcase
I posted on another thread about this too but TFL just posted a video on this same issue. Their dealership did ended up flashing 2 modules: battery pack control and PCM. Not sure if either or both will address this issue but will follow their videos to see how things turn out. So far my dealership has been no help.

Sponsored

DexterJeeper

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
14 JKU Rubicon X, 19 JLU Rubicon, 23 JL392XR
Vehicle Showcase
yeah, hopefully those guys go back and test it again. in fairness, if this was a wide spread issue, I think we'd be hearing more about it by now.
Not that this is backed up by any statistics but it feels like this issue only comes up while moving at slow speeds at high altitude. I live in Michigan and do plenty of off-roading but I can't recall this ever happening. The time I saw it was in Ouray crawling at above 10k feet. What's interesting is the TFL guys saw it driving on paved roads. Makes me wonder if 4lo is even a factor here.

Sponsored

HoundDude

Threads
Reaction score
New Jersey (i know, i know, i'm stuck here)
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler JL Sahara
that's fair, it makes sense that it would be most prevalent while doing a lot of start/stop driving/crawling at low speeds (when the BSG will be quite active). it's hard to understand why altitude is a driver though.

Punkindave

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0 Turbo Bluebicon, 2020 JLUR 2.0 Turbo (Wife's)
Occupation
ITS Project Manager
I've had mine in 4wlo for 4-6hr trail sessions with crawling 5 or 6 times this season and never had any issues. It's got impressive torque right off the line when crawling so I assume it is active when in 4wlo.
That said, electrical gremlins are pretty common in many of today's insanely complex vehicles and quite pronounced on Jeeps because of their tight and vocal following. It's not unique to the 2.0l either, the 3.6 has it's share of issues also.

Huehue80

First Name
Cohan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR
The only issue I’ve had is with the transmission stalling on steep inclines. It’s like the computer doesn’t like something and puts it in neutral.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
The only issue I’ve had is with the transmission stalling on steep inclines. It’s like the computer doesn’t like something and puts it in neutral.
Hi Huehue80,
We are sorry to hear about your vehicle stalling. If this becomes an ongoing concern and you decide to have your dealer address this, feel free to private message us for additional assistance!
Laura
Jeep Cares

ProjectJL

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon
Try keeping it in manual mode if you’re talking about offroad for these situations. Don’t ask me why, but it prevents it.

Sponsored

Shannon

First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 wrangler unlimited rubicon
This literally just happened to us on top of Eureka yesterday! We've been wheeling in Ouray for 3 days and this happened on our last day where the Jeep died out of the blue. I chalked it up to the thin air and just restarted my engine. Ironically, there was a side by side who almost slipped off the mountain when this happened so I used my winch to pull him out, not knowing the battery hadn't been charging. Needless to say, this caused an already depleted battery to become even weaker. It was a dicey ride down watching the battery charge go down and down. When it reached below 11v, the electrical systems started shutting down. I had no climate control, no traction control, etc. Eventually, the Jeep went into limp mode and I couldn't get it above 5mph in either 4lo and 4hi. It would only stay in d8 in 4lo.

I was kinda worried since I drove all the way out from Michigan and needed to get back. Similar to your case, once I got to the bottom I turned it off, crossed my fingers it would fire up again and it barely started. After that, it had a couple more dicey moments where it went back into limp mode but eventually started working again normally-ish?

We drove 500 miles towards home today and the voltage started off at 14.2v but slowly crept down to 13.5 and stayed there the rest of the day. I'm really not sure if 13.5v is where it should be or not but I literally had the battery gauge on the whole day and watching it like a hawk. Every time it went down, my heart skipped a beat. I just hope we can make it all the way home without the Jeep dying on us.

I have to say, driving a Jeep that's on the verge of losing all electricals down a steep mountain is a butt clenching experience . It would be great to hear from @JeepCares if they've seen other similar cases and how we can fix this issue!
Just called JeepCares. They had no record of this problem. Hmmm.

Shannon

First Name
Shannon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 wrangler unlimited rubicon
Not that this is backed up by any statistics but it feels like this issue only comes up while moving at slow speeds at high altitude. I live in Michigan and do plenty of off-roading but I can't recall this ever happening. The time I saw it was in Ouray crawling at above 10k feet. What's interesting is the TFL guys saw it driving on paved roads. Makes me wonder if 4lo is even a factor here.
My incident was at 11kft in 4H.

Lou3.6

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
75th Anniversary (2016) WK2 Trail Rated Laredo in Recon Green
Occupation
Retired Navy (2004) Now, Loafer & Fly Fisher
not sure Dan, but ill be taking it back to CO this weekend and running it thru a few easy trails and see
WHILE YOUR in Colorado you should "look up" the guys at TFLCar/Truck . . . they have a Video on a Similar situation they had with their 2.0L eTorque up at 12K Elevation Recently . You may consider asking them to refer you to Their Jeep Dealer's Mechanic and how they solved it ! ? Check out the video if you haven't already !?