Electrical issues first time off road

18JLRubi

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2019 JLUR
Did Ophir pass yesterday. First time I've had my 2.0 on a trail. On the way up it cut off I. a tight switchback... I wrote it off to it being a 3 point turn and having it in 4 lo. (No lockers). After cresting the pass the battery stopped charging and everything electrical went haywire... I had no power on gas pedal other than the jeep idling at 2500 ish and not wanting to completely stop... I cldnt shift into park it kept sayin speed to fast to shift to park. I coasted all the way down to the highway and turned it off and back on. It started charging and everything was fine except the check engine light and I had none of the etorque. Went to Silverton and stopped and called dealer and had lunch. After lunch started jeep and no check engine light. But it still is severely under powered from a stop. Anyone experienced anything close ??

IMG_20190702_173807_136.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

californiajeeping

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Did Ophir pass yesterday. First time I've had my 2.0 on a trail. On the way up it cut off I. a tight switchback... I wrote it off to it being a 3 point turn and having it in 4 lo. (No lockers). After cresting the pass the battery stopped charging and everything electrical went haywire... I had no power on gas pedal other than the jeep idling at 2500 ish and not wanting to completely stop... I cldnt shift into park it kept sayin speed to fast to shift to park. I boasted all the way down to the highway and turned it off and back on. It started charging and everything was fine except the check engine light and I had none of the etorque. Went to Silverton and stopped and called dealer and had lunch. After lunch started jeep and no check engine light. But it still is severely under powered from a stop. Anyone experienced anything close ??

IMG_20190702_173807_136.jpg
As reported in other threads, check your fuse box for loose fuses and relays. Many of us have found over 50% of the them to be loose. You can feel them snap in when you put pressure on the top of each one. This may not be the solution in your case, but since it only takes a minute to check, worth the effort.

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
That definitely sounds like something loose. Nothing to add other than your picture is awesome. All the times I’ve been over orphir, it’s crazy how much snow is still there.

DarinFred

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (in D1 status)
Same thing happened to me. Just posted about it above. Took it to the dealer and they couldn’t duplicate.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I'm wondering if slow speed off-roading caused the BSG to drain the batteries faster than the alternator could keep up, at low rpm?

Huehue80

First Name
Cohan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLUR
BSG and ESS doesn’t work in 4 low. I believe. I know ESS doesn’t

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
BSG and ESS doesn’t work in 4 low. I believe. I know ESS doesn’t
Then maybe the problem is that his did, or he was crawling around in 4 hi or even 2wd for extended periods?

OP
OP
18JLRubi

18JLRubi

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So took to dealer it had P061A code stored... torque something or other... which would explain why it wanted to push when i tried to stop.... after turning jeep off for a period the check engine was gone and have had no problems since.... i did check fuses the other day and found that at least half could use a better seating.... no problems since... i was in 4Lo and it still flashed me lights for all the traction and stability stuff was no longer available.... hopefully it was a one time thing....

Agent47

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mojito! JLU 2.0T (Built 7/4)
So took to dealer it had P061A code stored... torque something or other... which would explain why it wanted to push when i tried to stop.... after turning jeep off for a period the check engine was gone and have had no problems since.... i did check fuses the other day and found that at least half could use a better seating.... no problems since... i was in 4Lo and it still flashed me lights for all the traction and stability stuff was no longer available.... hopefully it was a one time thing....
Putting the JL into 4LO disables the traction and stability control, that's perfectly normal.

Sponsored

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe the problem is in the program or mechanism that switches it off in 4 low. Maybe a sensor?

OP
OP
18JLRubi

18JLRubi

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Putting the JL into 4LO disables the traction and stability control, that's perfectly normal.
understood.... and it told me all that when i switched to 4 lo... but then it went haywire like i was trying to activate it or something an hour into it being in 4lo... i forget exactly what the wording was but it wasnt the same as when you switch it in

OP
OP
18JLRubi

18JLRubi

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maybe the problem is in the program or mechanism that switches it off in 4 low. Maybe a sensor?
not sure Dan, but ill be taking it back to CO this weekend and running it thru a few easy trails and see

OP
OP
18JLRubi

18JLRubi

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
oh and this was in addition to the battery not charging and the gas pedal not working and the jeep not wanting to come to complete stop mentioned earlier....

brazos

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Giant singlespeed mountain bike, Hobie Revolution kayak
Occupation
Dog Feeder
I wonder if the guy who programmed the fuse-pusher-inner robot still has a job. I hope not.

Maybe his dad runs robotics, though.

Pop probably programmed the frame welding robot, I reckon.
Sponsored