Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Welcome. Check your fuses are all completely seated and take it to the dealer. Alot of times when people see what you are seeing it turns out that the aux ESS battery is going bad and causing the electrical system to freak out.

OP
OP
Halder101

Halder101

First Name
Bart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler
The run down for anyone that stumbles on this tread and wants to follow my path to repairs!
* Mile marker 900 .. my first glimpse into my future ( flashing lights as seen in the video ) no loss of power just loss of pwr steering.
Dealer 1 : stated that it needed a relearn and maybe there was water in the BUS terminal.
gave me the ole Downloaded new software and sent me on my way.
* Mile Marker 2000 .. It gave me the same light show you see at the top of the thread. then disappeared . Check engine light went off after 3rd key cycle. never made to the shop.
* Mile marker 4400 .. the Jeep Seizure returned this time with loss of power and power spikes. Was able to drive to dealer #2 and let them see first hand and show them the same video.
Dealer 2 gave me the same deal .. wet bus and relearn. I went over the 900 mile relearn and told them its garage kept and it had not rained in weeks.
Dealer 2 found a TSB on the wire harness under the BUS terminal may be loose .. pull wire's out check and re connect. they completed TSB . and sent me on my way
Mile Marker 4450 .. this time . The seizure came back with even harder loss of power and power spikes. no power steering. And when I came to a stop light , it went into limp mode and never went past first gear ... Limped back to dealer
Dealer #2 is in possession of Jeep as this is being written

OP
OP
Halder101

Halder101

First Name
Bart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler
thank you JimLee . I had hit those fuses after the 2000 mile spike hit. everything felt secure.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
thank you JimLee . I had hit those fuses after the 2000 mile spike hit. everything felt secure.
I hope they get you sorted out. Obviously there's a lot of things that could have gone wrong electronically, but I've seen more than a couple reports similar to yours that ended up being one or both of the batteries.

Sponsored

BasherXt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Rubicon on order
I hope they get you sorted out. Obviously there's a lot of things that could have gone wrong electronically, but I've seen more than a couple reports similar to yours that ended up being one or both of the batteries.
Bad batteries at such low mileage and a 2020? I know batteries are born to die but would expect to last longer than these seem? I'm new to Jeep so I'm still learning.

OP
OP
Halder101

Halder101

First Name
Bart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler
update : Got a call to pick up the Jeep today from Dealer #2 .. stated the tech chase down wires leading from the back of the BUS station to a wire harness behind the dash. Behind the glove box he found an open wire missing sheathing that was arcing on the metal dash frame. He was able to re-create the issue by hand. Ordered a new harness and installed it today . I now have the Jeep in possession and we will see if there is any more electrical hick ups.

OP
OP
Halder101

Halder101

First Name
Bart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 wrangler
Bad batteries at such low mileage and a 2020? I know batteries are born to die but would expect to last longer than these seem? I'm new to Jeep so I'm still learning.
Basher,
All vehicles have a parasitic drain. Meaning there is always a draw on the battery for electrical box's . Battery more often die on car lots than in your driveway. If the dealer failed to start and move them in 30 days the battery will have to be jumped off. After the battery dies several times it will loose recharging ability and will need to be replaced. A low battery will cause the circuit board not to function properly and that will cause lights on the dash to flash on and off.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Yea, seen a few reports of batteries failing within days of driving the vehicle off the lot. I think its because of how long they sit connected to the vehicle during shipment, distribution, on the lot, etc. All modern vehicles have parasitic draw from the factory because of all the computers, let it sit long enough and the battery will deplete to the point that it either can't be charged or will not charge properly. The small ESS motorcycle battery seems to be especially problematic for some. I also think that Jeeps that are commonly sitting undriven for long periods of time, not on a tender, are going to have problems. I shitcanned the factory batteries and went with a dual full size battery setup but that's an expensive option and I also need it for powering things on extended offroading trips. I also don't use the shitshow ESS system and have it disabled with an aftermarket device.

JimLee

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU
Basher,
All vehicles have a parasitic drain. Meaning there is always a draw on the battery for electrical box's . Battery more often die on car lots than in your driveway. If the dealer failed to start and move them in 30 days the battery will have to be jumped off. After the battery dies several times it will loose recharging ability and will need to be replaced. A low battery will cause the circuit board not to function properly and that will cause lights on the dash to flash on and off.
Well, I guess we were typing at the same time. Glad you got your problem sorted out!

Sponsored

BasherXt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Rubicon on order
Yea, seen a few reports of batteries failing within days of driving the vehicle off the lot. I think its because of how long they sit connected to the vehicle during shipment, distribution, on the lot, etc. All modern vehicles have parasitic draw from the factory because of all the computers, let it sit long enough and the battery will deplete to the point that it either can't be charged or will not charge properly. The small ESS motorcycle battery seems to be especially problematic for some. I also think that Jeeps that are commonly sitting undriven for long periods of time, not on a tender, are going to have problems. I shitcanned the factory batteries and went with a dual full size battery setup but that's an expensive option and I also need it for powering things on extended offroading trips. I also don't use the shitshow ESS system and have it disabled with an aftermarket device.
Thanks for rundown. I guess I have a ton to learn when our Jeep finally comes in as we have had ‘dumb’ vehicles with less computer stuff for the last 18 years. First new car in quite a while.
Sponsored