Electrical Failure - incredibly frustrated

NYJeepGirl74

First Name
Dianna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
I am a long time jeep owner. This is my 5th Jeep Wrangler and I also currently lease a Jeep Gladiator as well that my husband primarily drives. I have never had any major issues with any of my jeeps in the 20 years I have owned them. My current Jeep was the ultimate for me to buy. I purchased 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon in firecracker red. It now has 40,000 miles on it after two years. Has lived its entire life in my garage when not being driven and has been pampered since day one. The havoc started on October 9th. I made a left turn onto the road and saw a Check Engine light come on immediately followed by a service shifter light, and then the following as well. Sway Bar disconnect lights, air bad lights, Emergency brake light, ABS lights, lightening bolt light, and then I lost complete power steering which is not easy to drive without. I drove about 2 more miles to a friends house and parked it in her driveway. We go it towed from her house. Tow truck guy could not get it to turn on. No lights would work. He could not get it into neutral to put it on flat bed. Had to put soap under back wheels to get it onto flat bed. He called me once he got to dealer to tell me he hit a large bump transporting it to dealer and when he went to unload it everything was working again with the exception of still having the check engine light. The Watkins Glen dealer(Maguire) said they would not be able to look at it until the following Wednesday the 14th of October. They also told me just so you know we only have level 1 techs here at our shop so if this goes beyond a level 1 issue we won't be able to do anything and it will have to go to another dealer. I started a case with Jeep Cares on October knowing that it was over 36k warranty. This does not seem normal on a 2 year old vehicle. So the service department called me on Wednesday to say they followed a Star Case they found on it and checked some harness plugs and reseated and applied electrical grease. He asked if he could keep the Jeep until Friday the 16th and drive it each day to confirm it was fixed. He called me late on Thursday to say he didn't even make it 1 mile and all reported symptoms happened again. I told him I would be in on Friday to attempt to get it to Ferrario Jeep in Elmira where they have higher level of techs. I got into the jeep on Friday and it started and I proceeded to head down the road. Immediately the lights began again, sway bar disconnect errors, shifter errors, no speedometer, all error lights on, lost my power steering, no turn signals, no fuel guage, no flasher lights, dash screen rebooted several times along the way. Then a new message appeared. I could not get out of 1st gear and dash kept displaying message "Service transmission, contine in D. Do not Shift or Turn Engine off until you reach a desired location. You may not be able to shift again until serviced." So i just kept going. I also lost my power steering. This was a very dangerous situation on my end. I could not drive past 25mph because stuck in 1st gear. I had not flashers, turn signals, hazard lights. I had to drive this way for 25 miles to the next dealer. Once I got to the dealer I was not able to turn the Jeep office push button would do nothing. I was able to shift into park. The cooler fan was roaring at this point. Went inside and let service manager know, he said leave it and he would take care of it. I gave him some info on what the other dealer checked and also some print outs form info on this board about the other jeeps that have had this same series of issues and what things were done. Primarily checking the wire harness up near the sway bar disconnect. Called this morning 10/19 to check on any progress. Service manager said they checked that harness and could find any rub points and now they are waiting on Jeep Cares for further work since over 36k miles.

To say I am frustrated is an understatement. This is a 50k plus vehicle, and only 2 years old. This also appears to be happening on many Rubicons including newer ones then mine. I have been without a vehicle for 10 days now and had to drive my Jeep in a very dangerous situation with no lights, no power steering and having multiple system failures. I was offered no assistance or help with transporting my vehicle from the dealers or Jeep Cares. I am not feeling like "Jeep" actually cares at the moment.

On top of it I also discovered I have the bubbling paint happening in approximately 5 places on our near my door hinges. Which Jeep Cares tells me I have up to 5 years to have that fixed. It is a known issue on many jeeps from Galvanic corrosion with the aluminum panels. The bad part it the issue tends to reoccur which Jeep Cares concurred and said wait until almost 5 years and then have it all fixed and trade it in before it happens again. Great solution except I wanted to be able to keep my Jeep longer then that - this was my dream configuration and now its a nightmare that I am still paying $500 a month for without a functional jeep. If anybody has an ideas or suggestion I would appreciate it.
Sponsored

MrBell

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shopping for JL
I feel your pain. My 2019 JLU has been towed twice to the dealer for major mechanical/electrical problems. Only 23,000 miles on it. Never owned a car with so many problems. Mine is currently disassembled at the dealer. Hope you are able to find a solution.

OP
OP

NYJeepGirl74

First Name
Dianna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I feel your pain. My 2019 JLU has been towed twice to the dealer for major mechanical/electrical problems. Only 23,000 miles on it. Never owned a car with so many problems. Mine is currently disassembled at the dealer. Hope you are able to find a solution.
Sorry to hear you are having issues also. Glad you are under 36k miles since that seems to be slowing my assistance down - getting approvals for work beyond the 36k mark. There seem to be a lot of these happening. Mine made it a long time at 40K. Some start much earlier. I have seen in on 2020 models as well so apparently Jeep hasn't resolved the issue in newer models.

four low

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
Electrical Gremlins are the worst, sorry this is happening to you. Would it be worth asking them to remove,clean, refasten every GROUND connection ; disassemble every harness connection, check for BENT, LOOSE PINS. The " Big Bump" and it worked again is a big clue for a bad connection somewhere...hope this is resolved soon..
Unlikely, but rodents are attracted to the wiring, plant based Soy is used in the plastics, and they can get in anywhere...

MrBell

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shopping for JL
I would not own a Jeep beyond 36k miles without an extended warranty. I may never get to 36k miles... already looking for my next ride.

Sponsored

OP
OP

NYJeepGirl74

First Name
Dianna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would not own a Jeep beyond 36k miles without an extended warranty. I may never get to 36k miles... already looking for my next ride.
It was not realistic for me to trade every 36 thousand miles. As you can tell I used to having a long commute everyday which is why I would put about 20k per year. Now I work from home most of the time so the mileage will slow down. Probably won't put more then 5k per year now. I have owned 5 other wranglers over 70k miles on most before I traded them and have never had any issues so really wasn't expecting anything from experience. I get that anything can happen so that is where the extended warranty pays off. Just not been my experience. I will feel different now but also wondering if I want to stay with having a Wrangler after this - doesn't appear they have resolved this issue I have seen 18, 19, and 20's having this problem and all having the paint bubbling which is completely unacceptable when its happening on Jeeps that are 6 months old.

Rusty Teeth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Electronics Tech/ Fabricator/ 5G Fiber Optic Cellular Tech
I am a long time jeep owner. This is my 5th Jeep Wrangler and I also currently lease a Jeep Gladiator as well that my husband primarily drives. I have never had any major issues with any of my jeeps in the 20 years I have owned them. My current Jeep was the ultimate for me to buy. I purchased 2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon in firecracker red. It now has 40,000 miles on it after two years. Has lived its entire life in my garage when not being driven and has been pampered since day one. The havoc started on October 9th. I made a left turn onto the road and saw a Check Engine light come on immediately followed by a service shifter light, and then the following as well. Sway Bar disconnect lights, air bad lights, Emergency brake light, ABS lights, lightening bolt light, and then I lost complete power steering which is not easy to drive without. I drove about 2 more miles to a friends house and parked it in her driveway. We go it towed from her house. Tow truck guy could not get it to turn on. No lights would work. He could not get it into neutral to put it on flat bed. Had to put soap under back wheels to get it onto flat bed. He called me once he got to dealer to tell me he hit a large bump transporting it to dealer and when he went to unload it everything was working again with the exception of still having the check engine light. The Watkins Glen dealer(Maguire) said they would not be able to look at it until the following Wednesday the 14th of October. They also told me just so you know we only have level 1 techs here at our shop so if this goes beyond a level 1 issue we won't be able to do anything and it will have to go to another dealer. I started a case with Jeep Cares on October knowing that it was over 36k warranty. This does not seem normal on a 2 year old vehicle. So the service department called me on Wednesday to say they followed a Star Case they found on it and checked some harness plugs and reseated and applied electrical grease. He asked if he could keep the Jeep until Friday the 16th and drive it each day to confirm it was fixed. He called me late on Thursday to say he didn't even make it 1 mile and all reported symptoms happened again. I told him I would be in on Friday to attempt to get it to Ferrario Jeep in Elmira where they have higher level of techs. I got into the jeep on Friday and it started and I proceeded to head down the road. Immediately the lights began again, sway bar disconnect errors, shifter errors, no speedometer, all error lights on, lost my power steering, no turn signals, no fuel guage, no flasher lights, dash screen rebooted several times along the way. Then a new message appeared. I could not get out of 1st gear and dash kept displaying message "Service transmission, contine in D. Do not Shift or Turn Engine off until you reach a desired location. You may not be able to shift again until serviced." So i just kept going. I also lost my power steering. This was a very dangerous situation on my end. I could not drive past 25mph because stuck in 1st gear. I had not flashers, turn signals, hazard lights. I had to drive this way for 25 miles to the next dealer. Once I got to the dealer I was not able to turn the Jeep office push button would do nothing. I was able to shift into park. The cooler fan was roaring at this point. Went inside and let service manager know, he said leave it and he would take care of it. I gave him some info on what the other dealer checked and also some print outs form info on this board about the other jeeps that have had this same series of issues and what things were done. Primarily checking the wire harness up near the sway bar disconnect. Called this morning 10/19 to check on any progress. Service manager said they checked that harness and could find any rub points and now they are waiting on Jeep Cares for further work since over 36k miles.

To say I am frustrated is an understatement. This is a 50k plus vehicle, and only 2 years old. This also appears to be happening on many Rubicons including newer ones then mine. I have been without a vehicle for 10 days now and had to drive my Jeep in a very dangerous situation with no lights, no power steering and having multiple system failures. I was offered no assistance or help with transporting my vehicle from the dealers or Jeep Cares. I am not feeling like "Jeep" actually cares at the moment.

On top of it I also discovered I have the bubbling paint happening in approximately 5 places on our near my door hinges. Which Jeep Cares tells me I have up to 5 years to have that fixed. It is a known issue on many jeeps from Galvanic corrosion with the aluminum panels. The bad part it the issue tends to reoccur which Jeep Cares concurred and said wait until almost 5 years and then have it all fixed and trade it in before it happens again. Great solution except I wanted to be able to keep my Jeep longer then that - this was my dream configuration and now its a nightmare that I am still paying $500 a month for without a functional jeep. If anybody has an ideas or suggestion I would appreciate it.
Did you firmly seat all your fuses, just posted another visual, Also the 2 batteries are never charged from day 1. I have 100 miles on my 2021 and see 11.57volts on ESS battery and 12.53 on main both are on trickle right now. My 2018 JL took 2 days to fully charge batteries. Now in 2020 Im doing it again. I had similar problems and there was a relay that needed changed. I may repost it again. Seems everything I posted a few years ago. Needs revisited. There was a TSB on the relay. will try to dig it up!

OP
OP

NYJeepGirl74

First Name
Dianna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Did you firmly seat all your fuses, just posted another visual, Also the 2 batteries are never charged from day 1. I have 100 miles on my 2021 and see 11.57volts on ESS battery and 12.53 on main both are on trickle right now. My 2018 JL took 2 days to fully charge batteries. Now in 2020 Im doing it again. I had similar problems and there was a relay that needed changed. I may repost it again. Seems everything I posted a few years ago. Needs revisited. There was a TSB on the relay. will try to dig it up!
Latest update from the Service Manager. When they unplug the power steering until all the problems go away with the exception of the power steering. When they then plug the power steering unit back in the system goes wacky again all the lights and problems occur. They believe it is some kind of problem short in the power steering unit. I hope its that easy but also have seen tons of postings where garages thing they have it and then it returns after numerous parts being replaced.

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
We're sorry to hear that you have these concerns as well! If you would like support while in service, please send our team a private message.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

MrBell

First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shopping for JL
We're sorry to hear that you have these concerns as well! If you would like support while in service, please send our team a private message.

Darlene
Jeep Cares
Darlene,

I'm curious why FCA roadside assistance wanted to charge me $125 for a tow to the dealer? My Wrangler is only one year old and under warranty. A customer should never be placed in this situation. Very disappointed with FCA and Jeep in my one year ownership which has included 2 major failures / towing to dealership.

Sponsored

JeepCares

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Darlene,

I'm curious why FCA roadside assistance wanted to charge me $125 for a tow to the dealer? My Wrangler is only one year old and under warranty. A customer should never be placed in this situation. Very disappointed with FCA and Jeep in my one year ownership which has included 2 major failures / towing to dealership.
We understand your frustrations. If you would like our teams to investigate this further, please send your VIN and mileage via message.

Darlene
Jeep Cares

neil

First Name
neil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JLUR, 21 JLUR and others
Build Thread
Link
Are your batteries original or have either been replaced?
4cyl auto?

OP
OP

NYJeepGirl74

First Name
Dianna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Are your batteries original or have either been replaced?
4cyl auto?
My batteries are original - it was diagnosed as a bad Power Steering pump. Pump has been replaced and so far three days driving it the problem seems to be resolved - keep my fingers crossed.

OP
OP

NYJeepGirl74

First Name
Dianna
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Latest update from the Service Manager. When they unplug the power steering until all the problems go away with the exception of the power steering. When they then plug the power steering unit back in the system goes wacky again all the lights and problems occur. They believe it is some kind of problem short in the power steering unit. I hope its that easy but also have seen tons of postings where garages thing they have it and then it returns after numerous parts being replaced.
Well I have had my Jeep back for about three days and I continue to get start stop not ready battery charging message. It once said it was ready and did the normal procedure at stop light. But immediately went back to the battery charging message. I did not have this problem before all the electrical problems and power steering failure. I also have notice and this began before the power steering failure that a cooling fan runs a lot. This is happening when the AC is not on. Completely off position and the fan comes on and revs up and run even louder when just idling. I never in my 2 years owning it heard the fan run this way. People keep telling me the loud fan is normal. But when it is cool outside 44 degrees and no AC on and it had never done this prior. Still frustrated that something is not right. Seriously wondering if I need to get rid of the Jeep but really have loved my jeeps. It also is going into collision shop next week because I have the paint bubbling around the hinges in at least 5 places around the Jeep.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
Well I have had my Jeep back for about three days and I continue to get start stop not ready battery charging message. It once said it was ready and did the normal procedure at stop light. But immediately went back to the battery charging message. I did not have this problem before all the electrical problems and power steering failure. I also have notice and this began before the power steering failure that a cooling fan runs a lot. This is happening when the AC is not on. Completely off position and the fan comes on and revs up and run even louder when just idling. I never in my 2 years owning it heard the fan run this way. People keep telling me the loud fan is normal. But when it is cool outside 44 degrees and no AC on and it had never done this prior. Still frustrated that something is not right. Seriously wondering if I need to get rid of the Jeep but really have loved my jeeps. It also is going into collision shop next week because I have the paint bubbling around the hinges in at least 5 places around the Jeep.
I had the same message pop up, with the ESS and battery charging. Everyone thought it was a bad aux battery, but it turned out to be a bad Intelligent Battery Sensor(IBS). Once replaced, and a good overnight trickle charge, all was well again. So far.
Sponsored