Sponsored

Electric unavailable cabin heating/cooling

SpaceCase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Rubicon
Finally I got online and found the procedure for testing the heater, made a photocopy of the owners manual saying when the ICE is supposed to run.
Where did you find the procedure to test the heater? I am having the same issue and would love to narrow it down to the heater or coolant pump!
Sponsored

Shasta_Steve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota FJ, F150 Rubicon 4xe
Where did you find the procedure to test the heater? I am having the same issue and would love to narrow it down to the heater or coolant pump!
This was it. I also had a star case number but this is better. Also the owners manual states that ICE operation is normal below 15f. Not at the 80 to 100f I was dealing with. Chris Hall on the 4xe Facebook site did a great series of videos on this too.

Heater 1.jpg

heater 2.jpg

Shasta_Steve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The ā€˜normal operationā€™ response I got multiple times is beyond infuriating. I canā€™t put into words how much it would make my blood boil as it was always presented so condescendingly.
I doubt my local dealer will ever work on my Jeep again. He kept telling me how he had been to school for these and how he was the expert onsite. I assured him his expert and my expert were vastly different ideas . They could not wait to show me the door. The second place I took it to had another "expert" on electric cars but I tried my best to be very nice unit it was time not to be. All Jeep Wave did was call me with information I already knew.
I guess in the end it is fine. I got the Jeep back. Just spent a week in Montana with a rented 4 runner and Jeep is much more fun to drive.

Shasta_Steve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sorry I know this is not much different but I believe that this is the latest one Jeep put out. This is the one I took in. I believe that all the dealers are supposed to have this now . I know they did not all have the first one I posted. The first one is the one I took in first they said did not apply.

Jeep Wrangler JL Electric unavailable cabin heating/cooling 4xe2
Jeep Wrangler JL Electric unavailable cabin heating/cooling 4xe3

This is what the second dealer initially said about my Jeep. There was some miscommunication as to what was actually happening but this was them trying to say it was all normal. After they followed the procedure the found my heater was locked permanent and agreed to replace the heater. It has been running great since they replaced the heater. I know they have been having problems with the heaters as they are on their 3rd or 4th version of the coolant heater.

Jeep Wrangler JL Electric unavailable cabin heating/cooling picture 4xe

Last edited:

fogby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4XE
Day 29 just got the call to come get it - I hope as this becomes more prevalent they donā€™t take so longā€¦ this doesnā€™t account for the 6 days in the shop for a total of 35 days for this one issue.

they said since replacing the battery coolant pump they havenā€™t replicated the problem. I can better detail what was done when I get the papers

I took it to Larry H Miller on Havana in Aurora. Other than the extremely long repair time a decent dealership experience.

I would STRONGLY suggest against autonation Jeep on arapahoe in Centennial. I kind of want to call them to tell them how dumb they are, I will never step foot back in that Sh!thole. Sad because we also used the Autonation Subaru across the street and had a great experience.
Curious how things are going with yours? Still working fine after the pump replacement?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mgg253

Mgg253

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Curious how things are going with yours? Still working fine after the pump replacement?
So far not a single return issue. Considering how frequent it was, I do feel this was the root cause.

my bigger question will be longevity of the part. With all the problems reported on this issue, I hope it doesnā€™t return in 7k miles which is all the first one lasted!

kgammon

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon,2020 JL Rubicon 2-Door, 1983 CJ-5
Late to update my same situation. Looks the ECH is the culprit, luckily got mine replaced and my 4xe has been running perfectly ever since.

If you're in the Bay Area I highly recommend Ray at Hilltop Jeep in Richmond. Took them a few days but they figured it out. DO NOT go to Autoworld Jeep in Petaluma. Check out the service report from Hilltop- not only was Autoworld not able to figure this out...they kind of f-d it up more.

Jeep Wrangler JL Electric unavailable cabin heating/cooling IMG_1324

whenasked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited 4XE
21 Rubicon 4XE here with ~7100 miles. Got this message last week and booked an appointment for this week. Meanwhile, if I keep AC off, things work as expected for now.

OP
OP
Mgg253

Mgg253

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
21 Rubicon 4XE here with ~7100 miles. Got this message last week and booked an appointment for this week. Meanwhile, if I keep AC off, things work as expected for now.
If itā€™s happening when your climate control is already in the off position, definitely show the the service bulletin at drop off. It seems more dealers are becoming proficient at this issue, butI would guess many still havenā€™t seen it

Eric4byE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe rubicon (almost)
Same problem. Replacing the "electric cooling heater" which is an incredible name for something. Part is a week out for me.

Theyre also doing a software update for the battery pack control module.

Sponsored

whenasked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited 4XE
Just picked up the 4XE. No electric coolant heater replaced but some software updates.

20221005_193722.jpg

20221005_193639.jpg