Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Has anyone ever found a small, cheap, electric ratchet that can be used on all of the bolts for the hardtop, doors, and windshield?

I'm incredibly lazy. While out poking around in the woods today I lowered my windshield and turning the bolts by hand was just annoying. I got to thinking I should starting carrying my Milwaukee cordless ratchet in the Jeep, but it's a bit spendy and bulky to be leaving in the center console. On my way home I poked around my local Harbor Freight thinking I could find a smaller solution but they didn't have anything that fit my wants. Does anyone know of a small, affordable, electric ratchet? I think the bolts only need to torque to something like 10 ft/lbs so it doesn't need to be super powerful.
Speaking of Harbor Freight I went with this one. https://www.harborfreight.com/48-volt-14-in-cordless-screwdriver-kit-61826.html

It won't give the torque needed to unloosen or finally tighten, but it's cheap. I use the JL included wrench for first either of these final steps. What's nice about the tool is I'm not sitting there with the ratchet once a bolt I want to take off is first loosened, or for 99% of the tightening of a bolt I wish to reinstall.

If I lose it or it dies, I buy another.

: - )

Last edited:

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Speaking of Harbor Freight I went with this one. https://www.harborfreight.com/48-volt-14-in-cordless-screwdriver-kit-61826.html

It won't give the torque needed to unloosen or finally tighten, but it's cheap. I use the JL included wrench for first either of these final steps. What's nice about the tool is I'm not sitting there with the ratchet once a bolt I want to take off is first loosened, or for 99% of the tightening of a bolt I wish to reinstall.

If I lose it or it dies, I buy another.

: - )
Hmm, doesn’t unloosen mean tighten?

(Sorry, I couldn’t resist.)

I use the same HF job as you. Perfect, for what it is. And if I drop it in the driveway and it breaks, oh well!

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I shamefully admit I fell for the banana in the tailpipe.

Well done... so now...…..

get_out.gif

LOL - "It should be more natural, brother. It should flow out, like this - 'Look, man, I ain't fallin' for no banana in my tailpipe!' See, that's more natural for us. You been hanging out with this dude too long."

Sponsored

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
LOL - "It should be more natural, brother. It should flow out, like this - 'Look, man, I ain't fallin' for no banana in my tailpipe!' See, that's more natural for us. You been hanging out with this dude too long."
eddie_clap.gif

Mad Hatter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2011 MDX Advance
While over the years I have been skeptical of the efficacy of torque sticks--especially those of unknown vintage used by our esteemed dealers [just ask them if they properly torqued your wheels for tire rotations]--let me ask if there exist low-range torque sticks for the torque range of the bolts for re-mounting a Wrangler hard top? THAT would seem a super-time-saving and "proper service" concept for re-mounting all/any types of Wrangler Hard Tops. (Obviously, removal of the hard top retention bolts are not torque-sensitive.)

Thanks!

MH

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
go on amazon and search for one. they have inexpensive ones with decent torque

lightsout

Threads