Electric Noise “Removal”

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
I'm likely in the minority here but I'm not that bothered by it. It sounds kind of neat in some ways.

I remember a Fisher Karma coming up behind me some year ago. I turned around with a "WTF is that?" move to see what is was. It sounded like a a cross between a quiet jet fighter and UFO. Back then I don't think the sound systems were as prevalent.
Sponsored

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
I've also had my son drive the 4xe by me a few times and it's very quiet, but exotic sounding still.

dlong1119

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Sahara 4xe (Billet), 21 Sahara 4xe (StingGray)
Vehicle Showcase
Just FYI... pulling fuse F47 does silence the system, and it won't throw a CEL, but there is a BCM error code that gets triggered (U013F-00) for the PWS that is seen during an advanced scan by J-Scan or the dealer.

Mgg253

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Sorry, I don’t intend this as rude but this has been posted about so many times… Can anyone point me to the statue/law regarding the requirement of a pedestrian alert system and the penalty for not having one?

if you can, thanks I’ll save it for when I come across this issue. If not, please stop spreading at best unverified information, or misinformation, and at worst flat out wrong information.

CJ SCION

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUD Hardtop, 2016 JK 2-door Ragtop
Occupation
Tired Again
Sorry, I don’t intend this as rude but this has been posted about so many times… Can anyone point me to the statue/law regarding the requirement of a pedestrian alert system and the penalty for not having one?

if you can, thanks I’ll save it for when I come across this issue. If not, please stop spreading at best unverified information, or misinformation, and at worst flat out wrong information.
Yeah, wondering if there is some Government regulations that require the manufacturer to include a pedestrian warning system on their electric vehicles. Even if there is not, it would definitely open someone up to liability if disconnected due to it being there at the time of manufacture. Including it by the manufacturer would relieve them from liability in the event of damages. I am not an attorney but did stay at a Holiday Inn Express.

Sponsored

music293

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Sahara
Clubs

Yeah, wondering if there is some Government regulations that require the manufacturer to include a pedestrian warning system on their electric vehicles. Even if there is not, it would definitely open someone up to liability if disconnected due to it being there at the time of manufacture. Including it by the manufacturer would relieve them from liability in the event of damages. I am not an attorney but did stay at a Holiday Inn Express.
A cursory google shows that there is in fact law on the books for manufacturers.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...et-cars-rule-extending-deadline-idUSKCN1GA2GV

However, I didn't see anything at a glance about the property-owner removing or disabling the device. And frankly, I'm too lazy at the moment to go looking.

SnB4xe

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler High Altitude 4xe
Yes, there is a law that took effect here in the U.S. sometime after 2018 IIRC.
My 2017 Focus Electric had the speaker system but it wasn't activated for North America (only active overseas because their regulation was in effect at that time....)

No law against modifying. Same rules apply. Black out your headlights or tail lights and you might have some legal challenges if in an accident. Lift your vehicle and then have the pitman arm snap off.....might get sued if anyone notices. Anyone can be sued for anything so it just depends on the case by case situation. I doubt the traffic officers would write anyone a ticket for it though.

Mgg253

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Yes, there is a law that took effect here in the U.S. sometime after 2018 IIRC.
My 2017 Focus Electric had the speaker system but it wasn't activated for North America (only active overseas because their regulation was in effect at that time....)

No law against modifying. Same rules apply. Black out your headlights or tail lights and you might have some legal challenges if in an accident. Lift your vehicle and then have the pitman arm snap off.....might get sued if anyone notices. Anyone can be sued for anything so it just depends on the case by case situation. I doubt the traffic officers would write anyone a ticket for it though.
point Is the modification would have to be able to be shown as the reason your liable. Black your headlights out and hit some one at 1 am is very different than at 1 pm on a blue sky day. Lift your vehicle, remove the bumper and drive over someone’s hood putting your tire through their windshield vs lift your vehicle, remove the bumper and get rear ended putting your spare tire through a fourtwo’s windshield is two different outcomes on liability.

again, didn’t want to be rude to the people saying it would make you automatically liable to remove the ped alert system, but I believe it’s a spread of misinformation which can be dangerous. Yes I found that it’s required for manufactures to include the system, but haven’t found (yet?) that your required to keep it. Personally I will keep it just like I’ll keep my airbags, for safety, but I also have no problems with people removing it. Everyone still has a responsibility to be aware of their surroundings and I have a hard time imagining how one is found totally innocent in an accident based solely on the fact no ped alert system was audible. Hell a 10 mph wind completely nullifies the sound to the human hear… guess we won’t be able to drive our EVs on a windy day following some peoples logic.

CJ SCION

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUD Hardtop, 2016 JK 2-door Ragtop
Occupation
Tired Again
point Is the modification would have to be able to be shown as the reason your liable. Black your headlights out and hit some one at 1 am is very different than at 1 pm on a blue sky day. Lift your vehicle, remove the bumper and drive over someone’s hood putting your tire through their windshield vs lift your vehicle, remove the bumper and get rear ended putting your spare tire through a fourtwo’s windshield is two different outcomes on liability.

again, didn’t want to be rude to the people saying it would make you automatically liable to remove the ped alert system, but I believe it’s a spread of misinformation which can be dangerous. Yes I found that it’s required for manufactures to include the system, but haven’t found (yet?) that your required to keep it. Personally I will keep it just like I’ll keep my airbags, for safety, but I also have no problems with people removing it. Everyone still has a responsibility to be aware of their surroundings and I have a hard time imagining how one is found totally innocent in an accident based solely on the fact no ped alert system was audible. Hell a 10 mph wind completely nullifies the sound to the human hear… guess we won’t be able to drive our EVs on a windy day following some peoples logic.
Yikes, tough to follow this composition and what is a fourtwo's?

"point Is the modification would have to be able to be shown as the reason your liable." Agree, this is exactly what an attorney will be eager to prove for a damaged client. Good reason not to remove the alert system.

"again, didn’t want to be rude to the people saying it would make you automatically liable to remove the ped alert system, but I believe it’s a spread of misinformation which can be dangerous." Can you give an example of danger in stating there can be a liability issue if removing the pedestrian alert system? Are you thinking that the pedestrian alert system is dangerous?

Truly, I sense you are on both sides of the fence concerning the removal of the pedestrian warning system.

Hoping all is well on your end and best wishes in the new year.

Mgg253

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
I suppose to clarify I’m not on either side of the fence, I think it’s your choice at this point until it changes.

Look up a smart fourtwo. then forget it’s existence like the rest of the world 🙃. (Legit looks like a clown car)

I guess I got sucked in on an issue I don’t care about due more to my point on misinformation which is really more broad. people make lots of claims or spread information without honestly having a clue. For instance saying your insurance would deny a claim if you drive off road, or strike a pedestrian with the alert system disabled. These statements are misleading and flat out not true on almost any auto policy. That said it may be true on some policies out there. Misinformation is a sad reality of the internet so I guess I will have to trust that people can’t sort through it and figure it out on their own… to the OP, disable away, or don’t.

Now let’s discuss more important things like helping your neighbors, what winch and mounting plate I need in my life, and the fact that Die Hard is not a Christmas movie 🤫.

Sponsored

Mgg253

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Also, The fact I put ‘your’ instead of ‘you’re’ in my post should likely discredit most everything I said

eLECTRICON

Maybe its just me, but the pedestrian sound doesn't bother me.

The A/C compressor however, that sound is pretty loud if you ask me.
It only comes on when you doing less than 20mph. When your off-roading in 4L electric mode for 10 miles its annoying! So I ripped them off on the trail! So now all I hear is rocks crunching, birds chirping, rivers roaring, and trees rustling in the wind.

JPMcNown

First Name
John-Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
Jeep: "Let's make it silent"
Karen's : "Think of the children!"
Me: "What about deaf children?"
Conclusion : Seems unfair that only deaf children get to experience silent off-roading.

EEProf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Jeep Wrangler JL Willys 4xE
Occupation
Emeritus (retired) Engineering Professor
Just FYI... pulling fuse F47 does silence the system, and it won't throw a CEL, but there is a BCM error code that gets triggered (U013F-00) for the PWS that is seen during an advanced scan by J-Scan or the dealer.
You can disconnect/remove the rear speaker (inside the tire mount) and the back-up sound goes away (I never saw a point to it) without throwing a code. I can never hear the front one (getting old) so that one is a non-issue for me.

dlong1119

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Sahara 4xe (Billet), 21 Sahara 4xe (StingGray)
Vehicle Showcase
You can disconnect/remove the rear speaker (inside the tire mount) and the back-up sound goes away (I never saw a point to it) without throwing a code. I can never hear the front one (getting old) so that one is a non-issue for me.
The rear speaker bothers me far less, as it's only on for a few seconds when in reverse. I have a long drive out of my neighborhood where I'm rarely above the threshold speed to shut off the front speaker and even with just the windows down I have to listen to what sounds like brakes dragging the entire drive out. To someone walking down the sidewalk who doesn't know what it is, it also sounds like the Jeep needs repair and I'm driving a piece of crap. The front speaker could also be unplugged, but it's much harder to access it inside the front passenger wheel well if needed to reconnect it. Pulling or replacing the fuse (if going into the dealer) takes less than a minute and is a much easier solution. As mentioned above, the code it throws doesn't illuminate the CEL and won't affect anything. I usually clear it as well with J-Scan so that no one is ever the wiser if going into the dealer as I have to remove my Taser anyway.

My rear speaker is deleted now with my Teraflex mount anyway so that's a non-issue for me.
Sponsored