Electric mode temporarily unavailable.

4xe Rubicon

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe Rubicon
Enter you VIN here and it will let you know if the recall applies to your vehicle. My understanding is that the recall is to inspect and replace if needed a seal that is part of a connector on one of the HV cables. This is what comes up when I enter my VIN in the Mopar website. You can also see open recalls in the My Mopar app on your phone.

https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehicle/recalls/search.html

Jeep Wrangler JL Electric mode temporarily unavailable. 1631811435359
Sponsored

joegrasse

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Red JLUR
Yeah, that’s why I was curious. Nothing was showing up on mine.
Enter you VIN here and it will let you know if the recall applies to your vehicle. My understanding is that the recall is to inspect and replace if needed a seal that is part of a connector on one of the HV cables. This is what comes up when I enter my VIN in the Mopar website. You can also see open recalls in the My Mopar app on your phone.

https://www.mopar.com/en-us/my-vehicle/recalls/search.html

Jeep Wrangler JL Electric mode temporarily unavailable. 1631811435359

Mike-A

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 wrangler unlimited
I ended up selling mine to Vroom because we're buying a house, so I won't know the resolution on mine. Hopefully the techs/engineers are able to figure it out on yours @4xe Rubicon. Definitely appreciate all the research and updates you provided to the problem along the way.

OP
OP
installer88

installer88

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 wrangler unlimited, ordered 2021 rubicon 4xe
Small update. I determined it is my battery getting too hot. This is right before it acts up/ goes unavailable. Look at accelerator position vs speed. As you can see the gas pedal is dead before it cuts off. Also the battery temp cell is HV Battery temperature limits exceeded. In the battery pack ecu I can log temps and it shuts down at 117 Fahrenheit. Taking it in tomorrow and hopefully this is enough to show it’s a problem and not normal.

Attachments

Sponsored

Mgg253

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
So it seems this has been determined to be a temperature problem, I too have had this happen to me, but in my case only when wheeling. Today I was at ~12,000 feet altitude it was 37 degrees outside and I was on nothing more than a moderate incline Forrest service road in 2wd. With 23% battery left I got the warning and was switched to hybrid mode. 3 min later I could switch it back, without power cycling. Stock 4xe Rubicon.

now to pair this with another problem/question… I can’t get max regen to work properly down hills on the trail. My experience has been it sometimes works but intermittently just drops out. When it does the button doesn’t function and hitting it Gets no response. So if it’s onI hit the button and it stays on but doesn’t engage. Several times I would stop for a few seconds and as I started going again max regen would magically be back. I have never had any issues with max regen on paved roads.

Chubba

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Sahara
So it seems this has been determined to be a temperature problem, I too have had this happen to me, but in my case only when wheeling. Today I was at ~12,000 feet altitude it was 37 degrees outside and I was on nothing more than a moderate incline Forrest service road in 2wd. With 23% battery left I got the warning and was switched to hybrid mode. 3 min later I could switch it back, without power cycling. Stock 4xe Rubicon.

now to pair this with another problem/question… I can’t get max regen to work properly down hills on the trail. My experience has been it sometimes works but intermittently just drops out. When it does the button doesn’t function and hitting it Gets no response. So if it’s onI hit the button and it stays on but doesn’t engage. Several times I would stop for a few seconds and as I started going again max regen would magically be back. I have never had any issues with max regen on paved roads.
Not sure if it’s related but the manual does say the max regen will not work off road due to the loss of traction - which makes perfect sense. The engineers cut it off when there’s poor traction.

OP
OP
installer88

installer88

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, not showing up for mine though.
You might have a later build date. The recall only affected 11,000 Jeeps.

Small update. I had all the rrt’s and the recall performed. Both of my o-rings were pinched. That being said, there was no change to my concern . Since the update I experienced a sudden loss of throttle response when in electric mode while off-roading. Taking it back to the dealer this Thursday. Now I am extra worried/annoyed since a sudden lack of throttle response is unacceptable in my book.

Sponsored

OP
OP
installer88

installer88

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Another update. Worst experience at a dealer ever. They said it was due to my 12v battery being loose and tried blaming my winch wiring. I pointed out they had to disconnect it to do the recall. That started an argument. I asked them to go on a drive and they declined driving with me because it’s 5Pm and they close at 6pm. My vehicle was at their dealership for 31 hours total and they put 0 miles on it.

4xeEsq

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 4xe
Another update. Worst experience at a dealer ever. They said it was due to my 12v battery being loose and tried blaming my winch wiring. I pointed out they had to disconnect it to do the recall. That started an argument. I asked them to go on a drive and they declined driving with me because it’s 5Pm and they close at 6pm. My vehicle was at their dealership for 31 hours total and they put 0 miles on it.
Mine was in for 6 days and they put 0.9 miles on it, while claiming they test drive the car twice - both before and after the updates. They even falsified the release documents and stated my car had been test driven 3 miles.

This loss of throttle response was one of about 6 or 7 issues I needed them to look at.

I got in touch with Jeep and they claimed they made a report that the next dealer I took the car for service to would pull and see the approval for a replacement of the battery pack and the brakes. The dealer I made the next appointment with said that’s unheard of but would call me back after they got in touch with Jeep. My appt is tomorrow but of course the dealer never called me back.

No wonder the talk around the auto world is that Jeep sucks and is continuing to get worse.

aggie047

First Name
Christina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 4xe
So then I'd go back to my previous thought of the sustained highway speeds with the 37's putting a heavier strain on the electric motors, maybe generating more heat than it can handle causing the shift in modes?

If it's just triggering a mode shift due to safety parameters it might not even trigger a warning/error code for the tech to pick up.

When you look at your videos of this happening and you get that message and are forced into hybrid mode, are you still getting output from the electric side or does it shut down temporarily?

My guess is that it works normally in hybrid mode so you're not getting any errors or anything for them to pull and might be better off doing a data log while it's happening if that's possible?
I’m having these exact issues in a stock 4xe. Currently at the dealership, no errors pulling up.

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
I’m having these exact issues in a stock 4xe. Currently at the dealership, no errors pulling up.
This is why I suggested you sign up for the forums and follow the threads about this issue! Glad to see you made it over.

tmaggio

First Name
tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 jeep wrangler rubicon
Ahhh, I think I found my people here on this thread. Same issues as described in the beginning and in the videos. I believe we all know the reason for the ICE kicking on to supplement the requested load demand that exceeds the electric only capability. Normal operations - all good here.
<0% battery and we can't use Electric Mode, Normal operations - all good here.

The concern is intentionally operating in Electric Mode with plenty of battery available and getting an error message on the dash that says "electric mode unavailable" and having the ICE unexpectantly take over with no (to us) logical explanation and lock us out of using Electric Mode. The question is, "is something wrong with my 4xe?"

I have a hypothesis that I have been trying to test and believe it may be thermal related.

After a dismal 14.2 mpg trip to Toledo Jeep Fest this weekend I wanted to know for sure how far this 4xe would go only in Electric Mode. Full charge, set to Electric Mode, left the house and hopped on the highway a mile down the road. Set the cruise at 60mph. I only made it 14.6 miles and wham - Electric mode unavailable!
To me that is a failure of the vehicle's capable operation and indicates that there is an issue with this vehicle causing the unexpected.

Monitoring the Hybrid Page, I watched the ICE take over the entire load and Battery load go to single digit numbers. It stayed like this for what seemed like a few minutes. (I did not precisely measure). After some time, I then noticed the ICE load decrease while the Battery load increased proportionally.

My theory is that the battery system had exceeded a safety operational temperature limit and needed to cool off temporarily. Not so severe as to set off a MIL, but just enough to drop the battery coolant temperature to an acceptable range. I assume switching to the ICE would do two important things.
1) It obviously takes the load off of the battery system and electric motors, which of course get hot from the resistive load.
2) When it forces the ICE to turn on, it allows a greater heat exchange between the battery system radiators and ambient air.

Operate the vehicle without using the battery system long enough and it cools off and returns to an acceptable operating range and become usable once again.

Questions:
1) Does anyone else that is specifically operating in Electric Mode and is experiencing the unexpected "Electric Mode Unavailable" while still having battery miles available find that when the ICE takes over that the Battery load pretty much goes to the single digits for a certain amount of time (a few minutes) then picks back up again in conjunction with the ICE load going down?
2) If so, can you then request Electric Mode once again a few minutes later without doing a "key" cycle?
3) For those of you on larger than stock tires, did you change the tire size by paying the dealer to request the programming calibration from Jeep, or did you adjust it through an aftermarket programmer?

I am on 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers. I changed my tire size using a Tazer JL Mini.
I HAD THIS PROBLEM FOR 4 DAYS. HAD THE DEALER WORK ON IT. DID AN UPDATE AND SAID IT WAS FIXED ON DAY 1. IT WASN'T. DID THE SAME THING FOR 3 MORE DAYS. IT WOULD KICK INTO HYBRID MODE. BUT ACTUALLY WAS JUST KIND OF BLEEDING ELECTRICITY. THE COMPUTER STATED I WAS USING ELECTRICITY FOR A LOT LONGER TIME (THE PERCENTAGE OF BATTERY LIFE GAUGE WOULD DROP MORE SLOWLY, BUT THE MILEAGE GAUGE SHOWED IT WAS ALL GAS. THE END OF THAT TANK SHOWED A LOSS OF ABOUT 250 MILES COMPARED TO NORMAL. GOOD NEWS IS THAT IS SUDDENLY BEGAIN WORKING CORRECTLY ON IT'S OWN. BEEN NORMAL SINCE SUNDAY 11/15. THANK GOD.
Sponsored