Electric mode temporarily unavailable.

Mike-A

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 wrangler unlimited
Just came across this and read the whole thread. Interesting research. I have a 4xe on 37's and have recalibrated it with a Tazer JL. I live in Northern CA and regularly drive in high temperatures. I have never had this issue. I mostly drive around town but if I do drive highway I get 18 or so miles on electric only at ~60 mph before the normal transition to hybrid mode. I think:
  • The data you compiled makes a compelling case for this being heat related
  • Those having this issue clearly have a problem, this is not a feature forced on all those with larger tires.
  • Possibly your jeeps are not circulating battery coolant effectively?
I actually think the latest data from our resident tester @4xeRubicon (thanks!) points to an electric motor overheating. So far I haven't had this issue on road, but definitely did while wheeling it on a moderate trail. Youtubers have ran this same trail in electric without issue and I'm all stock, so I don't think it's working as intended.

I'll be wheeling it again on Saturday and will run JScan to monitor temps this time. I forgot to bring my code reader on the last trip.
Sponsored

4xe Rubicon

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe Rubicon
Thanks for the replies and info. Looking forward to any testing or input you guys are able to do as well. Super disappointed in this vehicle and Jeep's responses to the issues. When their response for assistance is bragging that Chrysler claims this vehicle may get up to 33 miles all electric at highway speeds, may get up to 84mpge and may get up to 566 miles total driving range and if there are no current DTC's; my service manager should advise me to "read the owners manual" and "monitor the Hybrid Electric Pages for more information". I requested if we could work with a 4xe specific technical engineer and not someone from marketing. :headbang:
Still thinking there is some sort of blockage in the battery cooling system lines from the bad battery coolant pump failures.

Mike-A

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 wrangler unlimited
Well mine did it again off road today. Checked the code reader and motor units were only around 130 degrees so I don’t think it’s heat related there. Also having trouble with losing power on steep climbs which was really frustrating. Ended up having to stay in the brake with left foot so the Jeep wouldn’t roll backward when it lost power climbing. Not sure if both issues are related or separate.

4xe Rubicon

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Mike-A
Thanks for the info. Good to see that your electric motor temps are staying reasonable off road. I have not gotten a chance to crawl mine yet. I know ESC and other systems are supposed to get disabled in 4 Lo. I am assuming the loss of power was when operating on the ICE in Hybrid Mode since it sounded like Electric Mode was acting up again? Did it seem like a safety system derate or just total lack of power from the engine? Any idea of the incline and what gear the transmission was in?

Mike-A

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 wrangler unlimited
Correct it was in hybrid mode running on what appeared to be exclusively ICE. RPMs would drop and I’d lose power. I *think* I had it in manual 1st gear but I’m not 100% on that. Here’s a video someone took. You can see at the beginning f I’d the video how extreme it is. I am not letting off on the gas at all, if anything I’m steadily giving it more yet the power just cuts out and I roll backward.

Sponsored

4xe Rubicon

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dang. That's painful to watch. Sorry man. Is your dealer backing you up on getting this addressed? Did you try out Select Speed?

Last edited:

Mike-A

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 wrangler unlimited
Select speed always says it’s unavailable. I haven’t taken it to dealer yet. I wanted more data first and it drives beautifully on road so it’s not a daily problem. I’ll be making an appointment soon though and we’ll see how it goes.

615ishome

First Name
615ishome
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4XE
Just joined the forum so that I could respond to this thread. We just took delivery of our 4XE (ordered in June) this weekend. Check engine light came on before we even made it home. Terribly disappointed in that as the jeep was delayed at the plant 3 weeks for "quality inspections". Upon inspecting the jeep at the dealer we noticed the center console was dented in the back. We suspect that the jeep had an issue before it even left the factory. Most likely they had to pull the battery and dented the center console with it to fix whatever issue they were trying to fix.

The Jeep has less than 100 miles on it and is doing exactly what is stated in this thread. Around halfway into a 23 mile all electric drive the Jeep throws the same message, electric mode temporarily unavailable and then switches to hybrid.

So we take it into the dealer, which pulls the code and its related to the hybrid electric coolant pump.

They say they will need to diagnose the issue as it could be the pumps bad or the ECM not triggering the pump to come on.

What a mess. Terribly disappointed. Just wanted to post this up for data.

OP
OP
installer88

installer88

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 wrangler unlimited, ordered 2021 rubicon 4xe
I will data log my motor temps tomorrow. I have been looking at battery temps, and at 117 degrees mine gives me the error. Maybe we need someone to log a normal acting 4XE to see what their temps are.

So, it looks like when Electric Motor "B" reaches 330 degrees F is when my vehicle gives me the message "Electric Mode Temporarily Unavailable". When it cools off to below 290 F or so it allows me to use Electric Mode again.
Now the question is, is Electric Motor "B" P1F or P2, and what are their normal operating temperatures?

Jeep Wrangler JL Electric mode temporarily unavailable. trim.3769C6FB-E1BB-4083-B733-6D33E1B32F9A.MOV

Jeep Wrangler JL Electric mode temporarily unavailable. trim.3769C6FB-E1BB-4083-B733-6D33E1B32F9A.MOV

OP
OP
installer88

installer88

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also, has anyone had the recent Rrt- updates or the campaign done? I am wondering if this is a symptom of one of those fixes. Gonna schedule mine next week to get done as soon as they can fit me in

Sponsored

OP
OP
installer88

installer88

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

joegrasse

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Red JLUR
I’m probably not the best one to ask. I haven’t experienced a lot of what the people on this thread have.

so you have this issue after the updates still? I figured it was a long shot, but was being hopeful. I also don’t know what all the updates are for other than the harsh 2-1 downshift.

4xe Rubicon

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Took my 4xe in for service today. A field tech is going to road test it and hopefully find the issues with the P2 motor getting hot and kicking it out of Electric Mode at highway speeds and the engine rattle at 1,400 rpm and the poor fuel mileage. I also informed the service manager of 5 RRTs which he found in the system along with a recall for the HV harness connector seal. Hoping to get it back tomorrow with a course of action. I'll update with the info and if any of the programming changes help.

joegrasse

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Red JLUR
Do you have any more information on the HV harness recall? Haven’t heard of that yet.

Took my 4xe in for service today. A field tech is going to road test it and hopefully find the issues with the P2 motor getting hot and kicking it out of Electric Mode at highway speeds and the engine rattle at 1,400 rpm and the poor fuel mileage. I also informed the service manager of 5 RRTs which he found in the system along with a recall for the HV harness connector seal. Hoping to get it back tomorrow with a course of action. I'll update with the info and if any of the programming changes help.
Sponsored