Electric mode temporarily unavailable.

installer88

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 wrangler unlimited, ordered 2021 rubicon 4xe
So I have been getting an “electric mode temporarily unavailable” error when I attempt to drive in all electric mode for some time. Shortly before this happens the vehicle looses power and has issues maintaining speed. Here is a photo of the it when it happens. I took it in to have looked at and the dealer told me it’s normal and due to the 37” tires. Jeep cares told me to get a second opinion, but I am wondering if it is worth the effort, cause they also said the vehicle is not a bev, and to expect the engine to come on. Has anyone else had this issue, and have you taken it in to a dealer because of it.

Jeep Wrangler JL Electric mode temporarily unavailable. D882FAEF-2752-42CB-99EA-495A2ABDB88B

Jeep Wrangler JL Electric mode temporarily unavailable. 195F1B77-F38B-47C1-B012-3FC402C87567

Jeep Wrangler JL Electric mode temporarily unavailable. 10CA3503-172C-4C67-BE44-1A321A5B2D04

0B9F3AD8-4EDC-49B3-923C-18D92318B6F1.jpeg
Sponsored

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
I can see this if the load is too high, but you may be the first with 37s on a 4xe.

Anyway, hybrid mode may be the compromise needed to get the torque/HP as needed. That's not a bad thing.

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Often the P2 electric motor is contributing more than the ICE in many situations. Even after full EV range depletion.

Does this message happen over a certain speed?

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
I'm confused as to what exactly is happening. If you're in Electric mode and are demanding more power than the electric side and provide, the ICE should come on as needed. That shouldn't cause the electric mode to be unavailable though. Electric mode doesn't mean the ICE will not come on, it just means the threshold for it to come on is higher, right?

For example, I'm usually in Electric mode around town. I pulled out into a road with three lanes going in my direction, two of which were occupied. As soon as I did that, someone pulled out from behind one of the other vehicles at a high rate of speed, now all three lanes were occupied and I floored it... ICE came on, Jeep took off, no one had to slow down or change lanes. Ice quickly shut back off. I remained in Electric mode.

If it's forcing you out of Electric mode all together, then that sounds like an issue, or maybe the sustained higher drain of 37's combined with the highway speeds are too taxing and that's pushing it into Hybrid mode by design?

When this happens, are you still getting power from the electric side like you normally would in Hybrid mode, or is it shutting the electric power down?

Sponsored

Low_Spark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Interesting timing, I ran into this today myself. It was on the freeway around 60mph, I think I was in 6th gear and I noticed it was starting to lose power. I gave it more of the right pedal and it didn't downshift to 5th and kept losing power/slowing down. Eventually the ICE kicked in and then it wouldn't go back into electric mode. It did this twice over the 17 mile drive.

I'm on 35s and had > 50% battery left

OP
OP
installer88

installer88

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like the electric engine of 130ish hp and 180ish torque is not enough for the 37s
But the first 2/3 of the drive it is good enough? It suddenly looses power then I get the message.

I can see this if the load is too high, but you may be the first with 37s on a 4xe.

Anyway, hybrid mode may be the compromise needed to get the torque/HP as needed. That's not a bad thing.
If that’s the case, I shouldn’t have stopped at 37’s and just gone straight to 40’s lol. I think I was the first on 37’s, but not the only one now. Lol

Often the P2 electric motor is contributing more than the ICE in many situations. Even after full EV range depletion.

Does this message happen over a certain speed?
As low as 49mph. Typically around 65-70 is when I get the error. But after i drive about 5-10 miles at that speed.

OP
OP
installer88

installer88

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm confused as to what exactly is happening. If you're in Electric mode and are demanding more power than the electric side and provide, the ICE should come on as needed. That shouldn't cause the electric mode to be unavailable though. Electric mode doesn't mean the ICE will not come on, it just means the threshold for it to come on is higher, right?

For example, I'm usually in Electric mode around town. I pulled out into a road with three lanes going in my direction, two of which were occupied. As soon as I did that, someone pulled out from behind one of the other vehicles at a high rate of speed, now all three lanes were occupied and I floored it... ICE came on, Jeep took off, no one had to slow down or change lanes. Ice quickly shut back off. I remained in Electric mode.

If it's forcing you out of Electric mode all together, then that sounds like an issue, or maybe the sustained higher drain of 37's combined with the highway speeds are too taxing and that's pushing it into Hybrid mode by design?

When this happens, are you still getting power from the electric side like you normally would in Hybrid mode, or is it shutting the electric power down?
That’s what made me think it’s an issue too. It’s not like when you get the engine to kick on in electric mode, that I feel is normal and a good safety feature. I can share videos of what I can see. The technician at the dealer didn’t look at any data in the scan tool when he drove it and got it to happen. Just saw no codes present.

Interesting timing, I ran into this today myself. It was on the freeway around 60mph, I think I was in 6th gear and I noticed it was starting to lose power. I gave it more of the right pedal and it didn't downshift to 5th and kept losing power/slowing down. Eventually the ICE kicked in and then it wouldn't go back into electric mode. It did this twice over the 17 mile drive.

I'm on 35s and had > 50% battery left
I wonder if anyone in a stock one has had the same issue. But good to know others are having this concern.

Low_Spark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
That’s what made me think it’s an issue too. It’s not like when you get the engine to kick on in electric mode, that I feel is normal and a good safety feature. I can share videos of what I can see. The technician at the dealer didn’t look at any data in the scan tool when he drove it and got it to happen. Just saw no codes present.

I wonder if anyone in a stock one has had the same issue. But good to know others are having this concern.
I think it's transmission related, it should have downshifted but instead kicked on the ICE. If it was a manual I would say it felt like the clutch was slipping.

SnB4xe

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler High Altitude 4xe
So I have been getting an “electric mode temporarily unavailable” error when I attempt to drive in all electric mode for some time. Shortly before this happens the vehicle looses power and has issues maintaining speed. Here is a photo of the it when it happens. I took it in to have looked at and the dealer told me it’s normal and due to the 37” tires. Jeep cares told me to get a second opinion, but I am wondering if it is worth the effort, cause they also said the vehicle is not a bev, and to expect the engine to come on. Has anyone else had this issue, and have you taken it in to a dealer because of it.

Jeep Wrangler JL Electric mode temporarily unavailable. 0B9F3AD8-4EDC-49B3-923C-18D92318B6F1

Jeep Wrangler JL Electric mode temporarily unavailable. 0B9F3AD8-4EDC-49B3-923C-18D92318B6F1

Does your symptom coincide with high interior cabin temps?

Sponsored

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
@installer88 & @Low_Spark.. are you two seeing this only when manually shifting? I'm wondering if that's part of the issue too, with the transmission trying to maintain a higher gear than it would prefer on it's own for whatever reason?

OP
OP
installer88

installer88

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think it's transmission related, it should have downshifted but instead kicked on the ICE. If it was a manual I would say it felt like the clutch was slipping.
That’s one way to describe it. I have been thinking it’s heat related in the drive unit inside the trans since it doesn’t happen immediately. But a slipping clutch sensation is accurate to the lack of power.

@installer88 & @Low_Spark.. are you two seeing this only when manually shifting? I'm wondering if that's part of the issue too, with the transmission trying to maintain a higher gear than it would prefer on it's own for whatever reason?
I have not used manual shifting much, I feel that way favors the gas engine even more. Also if you look in the bottom right of my gauge cluster it says “D” and the gear it’s in, one of the times it was in 4th.

Does your symptom coincide with high interior cabin temps?
I think it comes on sooner when it is hotter. Reviewed my videos from April when I first noticed this, and saw it happen at 61 degrees outside temp (can see the nav displaying temp)

Echo4papa

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
Occupation
Success Engineer
So then I'd go back to my previous thought of the sustained highway speeds with the 37's putting a heavier strain on the electric motors, maybe generating more heat than it can handle causing the shift in modes?

If it's just triggering a mode shift due to safety parameters it might not even trigger a warning/error code for the tech to pick up.

When you look at your videos of this happening and you get that message and are forced into hybrid mode, are you still getting output from the electric side or does it shut down temporarily?

My guess is that it works normally in hybrid mode so you're not getting any errors or anything for them to pull and might be better off doing a data log while it's happening if that's possible?

OP
OP
installer88

installer88

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So then I'd go back to my previous thought of the sustained highway speeds with the 37's putting a heavier strain on the electric motors, maybe generating more heat than it can handle causing the shift in modes?

If it's just triggering a mode shift due to safety parameters it might not even trigger a warning/error code for the tech to pick up.

When you look at your videos of this happening and you get that message and are forced into hybrid mode, are you still getting output from the electric side or does it shut down temporarily?

My guess is that it works normally in hybrid mode so you're not getting any errors or anything for them to pull and might be better off doing a data log while it's happening if that's possible?
I am wondering that as well. But if someone has this issue in a stock 4XE than what if this is an actual issue.
It appears the elective motor still provides assist.

I asked the shop foreman if he wanted to data log when he drove it and he decided It wasn’t worth doing.

OP
OP
installer88

installer88

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I just realized I can attach videos here. lol
Sponsored