Electric mode temporarily unavailable.

Dmeyer001

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler 4XE
My4XE also has the same "electric mode temporarily unavailable" while travelling up a 15% hill at around 40 miles per hour. However lately (not sure if its related to the cooler weather) this message is now appearing regularly on every trip even on flat roads sometimes also combined with a "cabin heating or cooling" message. At outside temperatures of about 45 degrees the car will run in electric mode for 5 minutes but then switches to Hybrid. After running in hybrid for 5 minutes Electric then becomes available again. Not sure if this is a safety feature to keep the the gas engine warm, in order to avoid excessive wear and tear if the engine kicks in at high revs during driving?

Also at start up in the mornings the gas engine now turns on immediately and it sounds like the choke is activated for 1 or 2 minutes with the engine revs much higher than normal idle speed. During summer on start up the gas engine never turned on and it was always just the electric motor. Usually its then combined with a "cabin heating or cooling" message.

Had it at the Dealer but their response was that its completely normal. Feedback on similar experiences will be much appreciated!
Sponsored

SpaceCase

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4xe Rubicon
Feedback on similar experiences will be much appreciated!
I live in New Mexico, very similar weather to you. I park outside, and have been starting the 4xe in the morning with temps in the 30s. I have never had the engine start, nor have I ever seen the cabin heating/cooling message.

I would check your messages in the cluster. I did recently get the Fuel and Oil refresh and the ICE wouldn't turn off...

Terminex

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4XE
Occupation
Fixing stupid....
Electric mode worked flawlessly for me for the last 4 months. Suddenly I have had the "electric mode unavailable" twice in the last 4 days.

All of the RRT's were applied to mine about a month ago.

Interested to see if a solution is found.

Razvan_JLU

First Name
Razvan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4XE JLUR
I would still check if people with the issue have done their latest software updates

Sponsored

RafaelK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota 4Runner
I have the same issue. Temperature dropped to 20s at night and everymorning ice kicks in on start. In the summer it never did. I am going to see my dealer this Friday to apply the updates.

CodyDog

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4XE /2021 F250 7.3L King Ranch FX4
Has anything resolution come about for this issue. My 4XE just started doing this the past 2 weeks. At the dealer now. Have about 8K miles on the jeep.

OP
OP
installer88

installer88

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 wrangler unlimited, ordered 2021 rubicon 4xe
Has anything resolution come about for this issue. My 4XE just started doing this the past 2 weeks. At the dealer now. Have about 8K miles on the jeep.
I was told it was due to my tires. But then when I told the dealer that I would return it to factory, they said it will still happen and is normal. But my tires make it more frequent.

Helikenny

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
ELECTRIC MODE UNAVAILABLE. CABIN HEATING OR COOLING

My Rubicon has run flawlessly for over 10,000 kms until it was brought in for its first oil change Friday Jan 28, and now it’s basically stuck in Hybrid-Engine mode,running ICE Engine 95% of the time with the EMU-CHOC message “Electric Mode Unavailable-Cabin Heating or Cooling”. Does not produce a CEL (check engine light)
No updates were done at the service, only oil, and tire rotation. Coincidentally, this discrepancy has presented itself at this point in time.
The only thing that was done different than the first 6 months of ownership, was that I manually selected “e save” to run the Engine to the dealership, to warm up the oil for the oil change. Jeep would always start and run in electric until battery was at <1% or when accelerating fast, which has been standard operation as it was designed.
I have had similar garage temps,then outside temperature, same climate settings, even turned off climate control, to try to allow electric operation to no avail.

Sponsored

Helikenny

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Update .
Now permanently stuck in “Electric Mode Temporarily Unavailable”. No other messages……

Live-AxleX2

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLXP
Same here today March 22nd and Winter about over.
I reset Trip-A after every fill-up and Trip-B after every Service. E mileage is Zero!

Our Winter started as usual with a bang - Nov. 14th. Been running Full-On with ICE power except for Service in February which included an oil change, a recall and several RRTs downloaded. It ran for a couple of days on battery in Hybrid Mode. Now back to ICE Power again but worse, not even Start/Stop at red lights!
Only changes are 18" wheels installed for winter tires long before this happened and Syn Oil Change.

I don't buy the "Cold Weather", "Battery Maintenance" and other excuses because I'm parked in a heated garage for one and no other condition to default to ICE power.
There is a CHIME when pulling away after a start with no indication on the message center. Been doing this long before winter.

I don't mind Throttle-By-Wire but, the E-Mode Button is a Placebo button thus far.

Will go back to the Dealer on this.

I'm thinking RESETTING OIL LIFE COUNTER ENABLED E-MODE.
My visit to the dealer today resulted in a quick scan and a print-out with a case number, a lot of dialogue I don't already know and in CAPs: DO NOT RESET OIL INDICATOR WITHOUT CHANGING OIL FOR THIS CONDITION.
So, they must know all about this.

FYI; 1st stop after the Dealer, had to use the key in the door lock which resulted in the alarm going off. Proximity sensor did not work, then FOB unresponsive. Thought they gave me the wrong key. Got it all to work eventually in Lock setup. Proximity would unlock after several handle pulls then down to 2 pulls. Finally, one pull to unlock.

OP
OP
installer88

installer88

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 wrangler unlimited, ordered 2021 rubicon 4xe
Update .
Now permanently stuck in “Electric Mode Temporarily Unavailable”. No other messages……
Same here today March 22nd and Winter about over.
I reset Trip-A after every fill-up and Trip-B after every Service. E mileage is Zero!

Our Winter started as usual with a bang - Nov. 14th. Been running Full-On with ICE power except for Service in February which included an oil change, a recall and several RRTs downloaded. It ran for a couple of days on battery in Hybrid Mode. Now back to ICE Power again but worse, not even Start/Stop at red lights!
Only changes are 18" wheels installed for winter tires long before this happened and Syn Oil Change.

I don't buy the "Cold Weather", "Battery Maintenance" and other excuses because I'm parked in a heated garage for one and no other condition to default to ICE power.
There is a CHIME when pulling away after a start with no indication on the message center. Been doing this long before winter.

I don't mind Throttle-By-Wire but, the E-Mode Button is a Placebo button thus far.

Will go back to the Dealer on this.

I'm thinking RESETTING OIL LIFE COUNTER ENABLED E-MODE.
My visit to the dealer today resulted in a quick scan and a print-out with a case number, a lot of dialogue I don't already know and in CAPs: DO NOT RESET OIL INDICATOR WITHOUT CHANGING OIL FOR THIS CONDITION.
So, they must know all about this.

FYI; 1st stop after the Dealer, had to use the key in the door lock which resulted in the alarm going off. Proximity sensor did not work, then FOB unresponsive. Thought they gave me the wrong key. Got it all to work eventually in Lock setup. Proximity would unlock after several handle pulls then down to 2 pulls. Finally, one pull to unlock.

Unfortunately you guys have a different issue. Mine/ this thread is only after driving in electric mode on the highway
Sponsored