Sponsored

Loggy

First Name
Par
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU, '20 JT
Anybody got any new links to any hard data on what the capability of the BEV will be? What market and price point FCA is shooting for?

Love my JLU and JT, would love an electric Wrangler as much, don't give a rip about "global warming", just want a capable, quiet reliable and cheap Jeep option...lol. I know.
Sponsored

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
Anybody got any new links to any hard data on what the capability of the BEV will be? What market and price point FCA is shooting for?

Love my JLU and JT, would love an electric Wrangler as much, don't give a rip about "global warming", just want a capable, quiet reliable and cheap Jeep option...lol. I know.
Doubt there will be until an "official launch. Even then, it is likely to be light on the actual information.
You can bet that any figures will be given in a configuration with low resistance tires and all that stuff.

I frequently used by Jeep in the US for "wild life" photography. Having something silently creeping through the woods seems a plus to me.
Same holds true for all you hunters out there I'd imagine. We always packed in on snow shoes when I went, but there was always some jack ass out there with POS huge truck running extra loud mufflers to spoil the quite.

Loggy

First Name
Par
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU, '20 JT
LOL the ad below your post when I was reading it:

Jeep Wrangler JL Electric Jeep Wrangler EV to be called "MAGNETO" Concept? LOL
Pablo: perhaps we've run into one another on the trails when I had my F-250. : )

In all seriousness, it could be that we can push Jeep in one direction or another regarding tradeoffs for the design. Range can't be cheap, lightness for range can't be tough, quiet won't be possible if you have a range extender motor that you can't control.

My fear is that if we don't tell them what we really want, FCA gives us the Mustang Mach-E of jeeps: a weak-ass mall crawler to satisfy wokesters. No offence to the wokesters, they can buy whatever they want, I just want to be able to buy the capability of my JLU, that I can charge up at night, and not a slightly lifted electric Subaru.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Pablo: perhaps we've run into one another on the trails when I had my F-250. : )

In all seriousness, it could be that we can push Jeep in one direction or another regarding tradeoffs for the design. Range can't be cheap, lightness for range can't be tough, quiet won't be possible if you have a range extender motor that you can't control.

My fear is that if we don't tell them what we really want, FCA gives us the Mustang Mach-E of jeeps: a weak-ass mall crawler to satisfy wokesters. No offence to the wokesters, they can buy whatever they want, I just want to be able to buy the capability of my JLU, that I can charge up at night, and not a slightly lifted electric Subaru.
Jeep has never produced a Wrangler that was a less capable than what came before. Including the 4xe. I have confidence they will do the same with the BEV. If they have to wait a few years to get it out i am ok with that. I like the idea of the Wrangler being the first Jeep BEV, but it probably makes more sense to go with the Renegade or Compass, or a new even smaller Jeep model. Those will be put on a common PSA platform and are more popular in Europe where BEV has deeper penetration.

i hope they don’t feel the need to push something out to compete with the Hummer but they may.

i think my next Jeep after the JL will be a full electric. In the meantime, i will enjoy the next 5-10 years of driving a manual transmission.

Sponsored

Oilburner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
i hope they don’t feel the need to push something out to compete with the Hummer but they may.
Possible, but that new Hummer is going to be closer to the Tahoe methinks-
(actually I like the stats on the HummerEV, if Jeep could pull that off with a Wrangler that would be pretty amazing = would require an entire new platform at least tho)

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91MJ,90XJ,91XJ,05,LJ,05JT
Well I'm hopeful for a solid Axle EV Wrangler with capabilities and range. (Loose them I'm gone) It would be a D.D. and more, I don't need a big ass thing to seat 4 plus pro basketball or football players in comfort just 2 adult seats, back seat /storage area AKA TJ/LJ size. A 200-350 mile range (if following option is available) with 400 plus mile range preference. With that optional "gas cans" power packs to extend range for 50-70 or so miles each or a hour of power. The power packs needs to be rechargable with a portable solar system or plug in. The latter is a wish list thing, but a interesting though a quick power pack plug and go like a cordless drill or saw? If the last thing can be done with a standard size and set up with base set of power packs most of the "under hood space would be empty if using direct drive electric motor (s) no transmission needed, electric pump for brakes and power steering assistance. Regen braking. I've seen projects done by regular people doing just this retro fit in old trucks and using regular batteries for local short distance stuff 50-80 mile range. Now what can a actual engineer with a real funded budget come out with? Don't forget the "auto industry" started out on electric the was killed off by the gas engine.

Now this is partially me "thinking online" to start others to think about EV Wrangler. And big part back on track with EV Jeep. Leaving the "feathers wings of the same bird" political B.S. out. I'm highly opinionated about it for so many reasons but this is not the place for it.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
I get what you're saying. It makes no sence at all to put an auto trans behind an electric motor but it just appears like they did is all. Unless that is just the housing and they used it as a means of adapting the E Motor to the transfer case?
It makes a lot of sense, they have to keep the existing production line, t-case, axles etc.

So plop an electric motor in the empty space where the gas engine is and not have to spend billions in tooling costs on the production line. Assuming the range is acceptable, it is a viable design.

Plus this thing is a prototype, probably werent going to waste precious research and capitol dollars on this stuff, but now that the GW elitists are running the show for the next 2 years, they have to consider all options.

The issue is cost versus how many units can they sell, will people shell out big $$ for this stuff.
Reminds me of the early 70s when the goose eggs want to force emissions on the car companies, but the tech was not there, the electronics were primitive in 74 time frame. So the leaned all the carbs out with vacuum junk which didnt work and the driveablity sucked.

Now we are doing the same thing, excpet this time forcing people to buy cars that will be over priced, and giving a kickback from the taxpayer to entice them to buy the PC SUV instead of a gas or hyrbid.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
Now we are doing the same thing, excpet this time forcing people to buy cars that will be over priced, and giving a kickback from the taxpayer to entice them to buy the PC SUV instead of a gas or hyrbid.
As much as I agree that EVs (or any business) should be able to stand on their own without government assistance, this is pretty typical of the US government. The 2008 bailouts may have cost more, but the EV tax credits is basically a different page of the same book (in my opinion).

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Yes, and now Joe wants to reward Tesla, GM and Ford who have already burned thru their 200000 kick backs. with another 400K new kick backs. I wonder if all the other OEMs will get an additional 400K kickbacks. That would be good for the Jeep/Mopar so people could hold back a bit and see how these new hybrids work out before plunking 50K down to get a 7500 kick back.

Sponsored

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
It would be interesting to see some sort of transmission put behind an electric motor. Correct me if i am wrong but wouldnt that make the car more efficient and extend the range with the electric motor turning at lower RPM at higher speeds much like the ICE?

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
It would be interesting to see some sort of transmission put behind an electric motor. Correct me if i am wrong but wouldnt that make the car more efficient and extend the range with the electric motor turning at lower RPM at higher speeds much like the ICE?
From what I've read, AC motors (what Tesla uses) efficiency doesn't change much in the upper 80% of the RPM range. A transmission might not be worth it.

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
From what I've read, AC motors (what Tesla uses) efficiency doesn't change much in the upper 80% of the RPM range. A transmission might not be worth it.
Good to know. I know nothing about electric motors ive im honest. Im just going off what i know about electric tools and remote control cars and what not.

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Rob: A couple of things.

We only have public free speech in this country as a product of case law, which has interpreted the founding father's "an open exchange of ideas" in the 1st amendment as such. And I don't need to tell you the importance of protecting free speech for the good it brings, just point out its intentions for being and limits. Disclosing national secrets, shouting fire in a crowded movie theater when the is none...not protected.

Forums have a right to control your speech, which at least here seems to happen far far more IMHO to control incendiary words than limit people's thoughts and opinions. You and I gave that right to this forum, as a part of our voluntary desire to be here.

Green though I somewhat am and more aspire to be you'd think I have issue with the 392. I do not; not at all, except for the following fair caveat.

Those who choose to purchase the vehicle should, considering global warming, be required to pay a premium for its large ICE plant and a premium for the fuel to run it.

That's all I ask.

And I ask this so those surcharges can be used to fund the cleanup of the environment that using this vehicle will cause. And sure, plenty of CO2 pollution goes into creating all vehicles, and the batteries of green vehicles aren't exactly the most landfill friendly things out there, etc.

But here's the thing. Hate the fact though I do, global warming is not open to debate. And those (myself included) who contribute to it have responsibility to remediate the damage no less than that we cause.

Please feel free to debate this respectfully sir.
So lets see if I got this right...

here was your truth:

" This wrangler makes peace with the crowd that's going to ban the 392 wrangler. "

and I peacefully offered my $0.02. Ok...guess you were right. No joke, no sass.

But touched a nerve...not at all.

'The truth always touches a nerve?' Really. So if you tell me the earth is not flat I'll get heated up over that idea? Really?

~~~~

I really do calmly and sincerely mean that people should be fine to own whatever gas guzzling ICE vehicle they want to---just that they pay their way...really; it's all I ask, in monies to clean up and offset the effects of the pollution they cause--not a penny more.

As for free speech, you have no choice but to concur: absolutely free speech with no limit doesn't exist anywhere, nor should it, let alone on a private forum that made it clear that publish here under their rules--which by my take are pretty fair. This is not imply that reasonable, but not absolute free speech is unimportant. I think anything but: I think it essential.

The framers didn't want free speech so much as they wanted accountable speech: which means people can speak their mind, but in choosing to do so be subject to critique for their ideas ("an open exchange of ideas.") Free speech would assign no cost to our words, even if harmful or lies.

Getting back to the 392, to rephrase, I want to disincentivize something called "negative externalities" where some entity gets a free ride for the harm they inflict on others, like pollution.

Pay your way---really--and the 392 is fine with me, Magneto or not.

You don't want completely free speech @No IFS , neither do I and I don't blame. you. Would you want someone to publish negative and false accusations against you? I wouldn't: about you or me. If speech were free there would be no libel or slander consequences.

Mark @Maller: a consortium of apolitical scientists, many with nothing to personally financially gain (although in fairness some do), trained to be independent empirical data driver thinkers all draw similar conclusions on greenhouse gases.

You ask if I want to debate this...this meaning to my mind global warming, which I already said I don't because there's just no debate.

If, when you say debate you mean "the 392 Wrangler is something your opposed to" (that's the debate I was talking about, as I'm not opposed) please do so.

BTW: It might surprise you that I am very upset over the jobs lost with the Keystone Pipeline changes, but not for putting the kibosh on the project for environmental reasons.

Rather, I wish these people put out of work had been offered the jobs and training for comparable work in the green energy sector as promised.

Lets suppose global warming one big hoax. The steps we take now will not lead to our extinction. Lets suppose global warming not one big hoax. The steps we fail to take today will lead to our extinction.
You’re never going to bait me into getting banned. I like being around the fourms do not want to be banished as other members (Solidaxle) that spoke out have been. You’re right on everything, totally agree.
Thank you sir may I have another.

Last edited:

Oilburner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
I think 'Magneto' would be better suited as a color name, rather than a vehicle designation. No one is going to call their EV a 'Magneto' Wrangler or whatever. Was there ever a 'JE' Wrangler? as in JL, JK, Etc.
Is that on topic well enough to suit? :dance:
Sponsored