Sponsored

ModdedJK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Modded JK
Clubs

source https://www.musclecarsandtrucks.com/will-the-electric-jeep-wrangler-concept-be-called-magneto/

WILL THE ELECTRIC JEEP WRANGLER CONCEPT BE CALLED MAGNETO?

Jeep Trademarked The Name Earlier This Month

February 10, 2021

Yesterday, news broke that Jeep was going to bring an electric Wrangler concept to their annual Easter Safari in March. And this isnā€™t rumors or speculation, Jeep themselves said, ā€œWe plan to reveal a 100% battery powered Wrangler BEV concept vehicle as part of the Jeep Brand concept vehicles at the Easter Jeep Safari in Moab, Utah.ā€ While thereā€™s no doubt an electric Wrangler off-roader is coming, we didnā€™t know what Jeep would be calling it. But now, we may have found a clue in a recent Jeep trademark filing for ā€œMagnetoā€ on January 5, 2021 in the United States Patent and Trademark Office.

Specifically, the trademark applies to, ā€œMotor vehicles, namely, concept motor vehicles.ā€ Given the electric Jeep Wrangler will be a concept, rather than a production EV, thereā€™s a good chance this is what Magneto refers to. And weā€™re not complaining, as Jeep Wrangler Magneto Concept does sound pretty fantastic.

If Magneto sounds familiar, youā€™re right. As CarBuzz points out, Magneto is a Marvel villain that has been featured in many X-Men comics, and his signature trick is controlling metal with his mind. While Disney does own the rights to the name, it must be fair play for Jeep to tack it on an electric Wrangler in an automotive context.

Then again, Jeep will reveal many concepts at The Easter Safari, and Magneto could be applied to something else entirely. It seems fitting for an EV though, doesnā€™t it? And Magneto could represent an opposite of the Apache-powered Wrangler 392, as these vehicles are fitting adversaries of changing times.

What makes us think that it the Magneto trademark could christen the electric Jeep Wrangler?

A simple word play, really. Permanent magnet motors are used in electric vehicles across the auto industry, and the name could be a nod to the propulsion system.

With the industry pivoting towards EVs so rapidly, with a particular focus on off-roaders, a production Wrangler EV is almost certainly coming. The timeline of the conceptā€™s reveal could even mean the production model may get a reveal this year, before going on sale in 2022.

Once the production electric Jeep Wrangler goes on sale, called Magneto or not, it will truly spread the JL platform wider than any Wrangler before. Jeep may have a four cylinder, six cylinder, diesel, V8, plug in hybrid and fully electric variant of a single vehicle on sale at once.

As far as we know, there has never been a vehicle with such an eclectic mix of powertrain options, and there probably will never be one again.

06371b81-825c-4fda-bee3-58f9467ee566-jpeg.jpg
Sponsored

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Goofy name IMO but I'm glad they're doing this. Hopefully someone makes lithium jerry-can batteries for when we go deep.....haha

As someone who is very disappointed in the V6 lack-of-torque and terrible transmission gearing, I can't wait for an EV with all the torques. Just don't screw it up FCA, we need at least 2 motors minimum.

dano0726

Threads
Reaction score
I'm glad Stellantis selected the Jeep Wrangler (Gladiator?) as their maiden vehicles to convert to a fully EV

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
There's an urban legend that the Chevrolet Nova didn't sell as well in Hispanic markets in the 1970's because (this part is fact) "no va" in Spanish translates to "no go."

Whether true or not--and experts say not, as "nova" (the name of the car) is, I'm told, entirely different in Spanish than "no va," it nevertheless serves as an example in countless business textbooks about researching your names and market before branding.

This said, as many here know the magneto of an engine, for those engines which have magnetos, like aircraft and generators and lawnmowers, is something you ground to turn off the engine. Such grounding prevents the sparks that explode fuel in ICE engines which have them.

And as Wrangler's are promoted under the premise of the variable ground (read: turf, not electric) they run on, if the model were a flop, it may earn the nickname "grounding the magneto."

Sponsored

dski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubi 4dr
Occupation
small business owner
I really hope they put an onboard generator in this thing, like a Chevy Volt. Recharging 'on the go' isn't feasible yet.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Risking a deletion or scolding using unapproved thought and speech. This wrangler makes peace with the crowd that's going to ban the 392 wrangler.
Rob: A couple of things.

We only have public free speech in this country as a product of case law, which has interpreted the founding father's "an open exchange of ideas" in the 1st amendment as such. And I don't need to tell you the importance of protecting free speech for the good it brings, just point out its intentions for being and limits. Disclosing national secrets, shouting fire in a crowded movie theater when the is none...not protected.

Forums have a right to control your speech, which at least here seems to happen far far more IMHO to control incendiary words than limit people's thoughts and opinions. You and I gave that right to this forum, as a part of our voluntary desire to be here.

Green though I somewhat am and more aspire to be you'd think I have issue with the 392. I do not; not at all, except for the following fair caveat.

Those who choose to purchase the vehicle should, considering global warming, be required to pay a premium for its large ICE plant and a premium for the fuel to run it.

That's all I ask.

And I ask this so those surcharges can be used to fund the cleanup of the environment that using this vehicle will cause. And sure, plenty of CO2 pollution goes into creating all vehicles, and the batteries of green vehicles aren't exactly the most landfill friendly things out there, etc.

But here's the thing. Hate the fact though I do, global warming is not open to debate. And those (myself included) who contribute to it have responsibility to remediate the damage no less than that we cause.

Please feel free to debate this respectfully sir.

Maller

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Mojito!
But here's the thing. Hate the fact though I do, global warming is not open to debate. And those (myself included) who contribute to it have responsibility to remediate the damage no less than that we cause.

Please feel free to debate this respectfully sir.​
You sure you're open to a debate?

No IFS

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
Rob: A couple of things.

We only have public free speech in this country as a product of case law, which has interpreted the founding father's "an open exchange of ideas" in the 1st amendment as such. And I don't need to tell you the importance of protecting free speech for the good it brings, just point out its intentions for being and limits. Disclosing national secrets, shouting fire in a crowded movie theater when the is none...not protected.

Forums have a right to control your speech, which at least here seems to happen far far more IMHO to control incendiary words than limit people's thoughts and opinions. You and I gave that right to this forum, as a part of our voluntary desire to be here.

Green though I somewhat am and more aspire to be you'd think I have issue with the 392. I do not; not at all, except for the following fair caveat.

Those who choose to purchase the vehicle should, considering global warming, be required to pay a premium for its large ICE plant and a premium for the fuel to run it.

That's all I ask.

And I ask this so those surcharges can be used to fund the cleanup of the environment that using this vehicle will cause. And sure, plenty of CO2 pollution goes into creating all vehicles, and the batteries of green vehicles aren't exactly the most landfill friendly things out there, etc.

Wow ! see how powerful the truth is. I touched a nerve. The truth always does which is why it will not be tolerated.

Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Wow ! see how powerful the truth is. I touched a nerve. The truth always does which is why it will not be tolerated.
So lets see if I got this right...

here was your truth:

" This wrangler makes peace with the crowd that's going to ban the 392 wrangler. "

and I peacefully offered my $0.02. Ok...guess you were right. No joke, no sass.

But touched a nerve...not at all.

'The truth always touches a nerve?' Really. So if you tell me the earth is not flat I'll get heated up over that idea? Really?

~~~~

I really do calmly and sincerely mean that people should be fine to own whatever gas guzzling ICE vehicle they want to---just that they pay their way...really; it's all I ask, in monies to clean up and offset the effects of the pollution they cause--not a penny more.

As for free speech, you have no choice but to concur: absolutely free speech with no limit doesn't exist anywhere, nor should it, let alone on a private forum that made it clear that publish here under their rules--which by my take are pretty fair. This is not imply that reasonable, but not absolute free speech is unimportant. I think anything but: I think it essential.

The framers didn't want free speech so much as they wanted accountable speech: which means people can speak their mind, but in choosing to do so be subject to critique for their ideas ("an open exchange of ideas.") Free speech would assign no cost to our words, even if harmful or lies.

Getting back to the 392, to rephrase, I want to disincentivize something called "negative externalities" where some entity gets a free ride for the harm they inflict on others, like pollution.

Pay your way---really--and the 392 is fine with me, Magneto or not.

You don't want completely free speech @No IFS , neither do I and I don't blame. you. Would you want someone to publish negative and false accusations against you? I wouldn't: about you or me. If speech were free there would be no libel or slander consequences.

Mark @Maller: a consortium of apolitical scientists, many with nothing to personally financially gain (although in fairness some do), trained to be independent empirical data driver thinkers all draw similar conclusions on greenhouse gases.

You ask if I want to debate this...this meaning to my mind global warming, which I already said I don't because there's just no debate.

If, when you say debate you mean "the 392 Wrangler is something your opposed to" (that's the debate I was talking about, as I'm not opposed) please do so.

BTW: It might surprise you that I am very upset over the jobs lost with the Keystone Pipeline changes, but not for putting the kibosh on the project for environmental reasons.

Rather, I wish these people put out of work had been offered the jobs and training for comparable work in the green energy sector as promised.

Lets suppose global warming one big hoax. The steps we take now will not lead to our extinction. Lets suppose global warming not one big hoax. The steps we fail to take today will lead to our extinction.

BearJewJonny

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JlU Sahara
Yes, and please do so on another thread. Create a thread called ā€œletā€™s hate on the 392 and Magneto.ā€

There are members whoā€™d rather not have to sift through your back and forth to find any good information on the Magneto. So please, feel free to debate. Just not in this thread.

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
Goofy name IMO but I'm glad they're doing this. Hopefully someone makes lithium jerry-can batteries for when we go deep.....haha

As someone who is very disappointed in the V6 lack-of-torque and terrible transmission gearing, I can't wait for an EV with all the torques. Just don't screw it up FCA, we need at least 2 motors minimum.
If you look at that cut away though, you can see it still has both front and rear axles, connected to a transfer case with drive shafts. It appears that it is only using a single electric motor hear.

Willpower1

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon, 2017 Subaru BRZ, 2010 Toyota FJ, 2001 Honda S2000
Well reasoned and thoughtful post there Gee-pah. You must be an old guy like me who has seen a lot of change in their day. I am with you on your thoughts, and believe in paying my own way on whatever it is that I want to do. Electrification is coming, and when it gets here in full force and with the economies of scale, the performance gains weā€™ll see will make the ICE look like stone knives and bear skins by comparison. I canā€™t say I wonā€™t always have a fondness for the ICE, I will, and Iā€™ll probably keep a few around as long as I can, but I look forward to the exhilarating performance that electrification will bring, as Iā€™m a fast car guy at heart, and itā€™s gonna be fun. You mention science-based subjects quite a bit, in particular, global climate change. It is complex, and poorly understood as yet with respect to all ramifications, but it IS occurring, and on that, the science is settled. Some people do not ā€œbelieveā€ that, and do not understand either that ā€œbeliefā€œ in it is completely irrelevant. The old phrase ā€œshit in one hand and wish in the other and see which one fills up fasterā€œ comes to mind, but a lot of people donā€™t seem to get that either. I liken in my own head global climate change to a charging grizzly with killing on the brain, or to an event like rapidly rising flood waters, both of which are terrifying and potentially lethal. Deal with such forces and deal with them quickly and efficiently, or die. If such a force of nature as a grizzly is charging you, you can close your eyes and emphatically deny itsā€˜ existence. It will not matter. The bear will roll over you without effort, and tear you apart with little effort, if it so chooses. It does not care about or even know of your beliefs, wishes, hopes or dreams. The bear simply does what it does. Global climate change is in many ways the same. It is the largest charging grizzly the world has yet seen, at least in manā€™s existence. It doesnā€™t care if none of us ā€œbelieveā€œ in it, it will quite simply do what it does. Global climate change is the charging grizzly magnified exponentially, and all of us collectively are puny in itsā€™ path. We can deal with it, but also like that charging grizzly, we donā€˜t have much time. I applaud Jeep and the other automotive manufacturers for seeing the handwriting on the wall, and making something happen to do their part to deal with it, on their own and without multiple new government regulations forcing their hand. Despite the potential lethality of a charging grizzly, or of global climate change, I personally find both quite comforting in a way. Both just are. They are forces that are going to do what they do, science can prove the existence and qualities of both, and they do not comply with or trifle with the fantasies or ā€œbeliefsā€œ of men. They are simply fact based straight shooters doing what they do without any bullshit. In this day and age, and scary though they may be, I find them quite refreshing. For me, refreshing too is the coming Magneto. Good job Jeep. As much as I must admit that I love the idea of the 392, give electrification a few more years of innovation and there will be an electric Jeep with a motor at each wheel that will leave that 392 like itā€™s backing up. But donā€™t take my word for it, just wait and see. And remember some old guy told you so. ;)

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
All I say is BEV should pay higher excise tax, since they are not paying their fair share to maintain the roads since they no longer pay gas taxes..

They should also pay a fee to upgrade the electrical infrastructure including Trasnsmission, Subtransmission, new Power Transformers for all related Substations, legals fees to do environmental impacts of building larger Substations, reconductor Distribution circuits etc since all the increased load will require utilities ( not talking generation) to upgrade and the customers without BEV should not be force to have increased rates.

Also they should pay fees for battery disposal etc

Cuts both ways.
Sponsored