Sponsored

eg6turbo

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3
If you look at that cut away though, you can see it still has both front and rear axles, connected to a transfer case with drive shafts. It appears that it is only using a single electric motor hear.
Yeah seems as though they just replaced the ICE with a larger electric motor which makes the most sense for an off-road vehicle. They can keep pretty much everything as is drivetrain wise...maybe beefier diffs from the added torque. Put batteries where the gas tank would've been and find other spots for batteries. If they could manage 300+ range could be compelling for some ppl...I was planning on a 4xe but will wait a little longer for the details of this Bev.
Sponsored

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
People that state "the science is settled" do not understand science. I'm amazed that in this day and age this basic fundamental rule of science has to be explained.

Jeep Wrangler JL Electric Jeep Wrangler EV to be called "MAGNETO" Concept? 1613149496989

Currently most science is pointing to climate change a combo of man made carbon coupled with the pre-existing trend of warming up from the last ice age that literally just happened yesterday in the grand scheme of these cycles. The rate of change in temp has increased dramatically, no doubt. I'm pretty thankful it's not going the other way, an ice age would damn near be the end of us.

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
If you look at that cut away though, you can see it still has both front and rear axles, connected to a transfer case with drive shafts. It appears that it is only using a single electric motor hear.
Good catch. I just gather, after observing how the other mfgrs build EVs, we'd need more than one motor. They could still (likely) mount 2 motors in tandem before the transfer case.

There must be some scaling issue with motors, otherwise why would companies like tesla and GM offer 3 motors for the high-torque packages instead of one large unit........but maybe some recent advances would allow one motor to provide enough for a jeep.

Just worries me that they'll make it gutless.....haha I'd sure like about 500ft lbs of torque on tap.

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
Good catch. I just gather, after observing how the other mfgrs build EVs, we'd need more than one motor. They could still (likely) mount 2 motors in tandem before the transfer case.

There must be some scaling issue with motors, otherwise why would companies like tesla and GM offer 3 motors for the high-torque packages instead of one large unit........but maybe some recent advances would allow one motor to provide enough for a jeep.

Just worries me that they'll make it gutless.....haha I'd sure like about 500ft lbs of torque on tap.
So i actually have a source (I know, everyone knows a guy) but from what i was told. It will actually be pretty on par with the 3.6 in terms of power. im assuming it will have more torque.

Its also weird cause it looks like the 8 speed is still in place as well..... maybe the hybrid 8 speed+ an electric motor for some duel motor action?

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah seems as though they just replaced the ICE with a larger electric motor which makes the most sense for an off-road vehicle. They can keep pretty much everything as is drivetrain wise...maybe beefier diffs from the added torque. Put batteries where the gas tank would've been and find other spots for batteries. If they could manage 300+ range could be compelling for some ppl...I was planning on a 4xe but will wait a little longer for the details of this Bev.
As far as i can tell, there is 3 batteries. One where the gas tank goes, one where the muffler goes and one on the opposite side of the fuel tank. I agree with the large motor though, Large motors take alot of power and time to actually get up to speed where as smaller ones spool up faster.

Its a complete mystery and i am excited to see it next month.

Sponsored

eg6turbo

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3
So i actually have a source (I know, everyone knows a guy) but from what i was told. It will actually be pretty on par with the 3.6 in terms of power. im assuming it will have more torque.

Its also weird cause it looks like the 8 speed is still in place as well..... maybe the hybrid 8 speed+ an electric motor for some duel motor action?
Technically all a transmission need is a input shaft from a power source...doesn't really matter if it's from a regular engine crankshaft or an electric motor shaft. Would be easier to just replace the ice motor with electric and call it a day....wranglers do not to be speed demons so 300hp 500 lb of tq is pretty easy with one larger motor...rubicon's keep all the off road things the same because it's essentially the same except for electric motor and batteries...the 4xe was their proof of concept that you can put a motor in front of the tranny....now it will be just a larger motor.

The main downside is loss of efficiency when power has to go thru the tranny then thru the diffs...range has to be in the 300- 350 range for this to sell I think...pretty exciting stuff. Hopefully they can release this before tax credit runs out.

Fusilli Jerry

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (2.0T, 8spd)
If/when we get solid-state batteries (or better) for electric vehicles that can provide 400-500 REAL WORLD range, I'll be on board. And I think that day is coming soon. Toyota is bragging they've got a SSD battery vehicle ready to go, but it's got the same range as a Tesla Long-Range model. It just charges a shit-ton faster.

But living where I do (where it's currently -15 F), I need that 400-500 mile cushion just to achieve 200 mile range because of cold weather battery depletion. But I think it's within reach.

It's exciting to think what's around the corner. I'm interested to see what Jeep's going to give us.

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR

Shit I sure hope it has more torque, this V6 torque output is pathetic, especially off-idle. Basically a little car engine misplaced into a heavy off-roader.
Makes no sense to back an electric motor with an auto tranny....or any tranny for that matter, unless you're going after a land speed record. Transmissions just introduce an unnecessary loss of efficiency and power for EVs.

8flat

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
If/when we get solid-state batteries (or better) for electric vehicles that can provide 400-500 REAL WORLD range, I'll be on board. And I think that day is coming soon. Toyota is bragging they've got a SSD battery vehicle ready to go, but it's got the same range as a Tesla Long-Range model. It just charges a shit-ton faster.

But living where I do (where it's currently -15 F), I need that 400-500 mile cushion just to achieve 200 mile range because of cold weather battery depletion. But I think it's within reach.

It's exciting to think what's around the corner. I'm interested to see what Jeep's going to give us.
Spot on. It was -35 here this morning, hahaha....can you imagine an EV with a cold battery pack and the heater/defrost running full bore on a trip to town on a day like this? ugh

Last edited:

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shit I sure hope it has more torque, this V6 torque output is pathetic, especially off-idle. Basically a little car engine misplaced into a heavy off-roader.
Makes no sense to back an electric motor with an auto tranny....or any tranny for that matter, unless you're going after a land speed record. Transmissions just introduce an unnecessary loss of efficiency and power for EVs.
I get what you're saying. It makes no sence at all to put an auto trans behind an electric motor but it just appears like they did is all. Unless that is just the housing and they used it as a means of adapting the E Motor to the transfer case?

Sponsored

eg6turbo

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
M3
I get what you're saying. It makes no sence at all to put an auto trans behind an electric motor but it just appears like they did is all. Unless that is just the housing and they used it as a means of adapting the E Motor to the transfer case?
This is prob the cheapest way to electrify the wrangler...keep everything the same as the 4xe except for the extra batteries and the one main electric motor....I don't think they really care for being really efficient...efficient and off road capable doesn't go hand in hand if price is of concern.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
All I say is BEV should pay higher excise tax, since they are not paying their fair share to maintain the roads since they no longer pay gas taxes..

They should also pay a fee to upgrade the electrical infrastructure including Trasnsmission, Subtransmission, new Power Transformers for all related Substations, legals fees to do environmental impacts of building larger Substations, reconductor Distribution circuits etc since all the increased load will require utilities ( not talking generation) to upgrade and the customers without BEV should not be force to have increased rates.

Also they should pay fees for battery disposal etc

Cuts both ways.
I absolutely agree Mike that we should be taxed, ideally based on usage. A road does not care what propels the tires that wears it. The ground doesn't care what kind of vehicle a battery came out of, and the grid doesn't care if the electric it provides is used to power things that always ran by electric or replacing things run by other means, like ICE engines.

That of course is only fair: both to the most status quo pushing or far militant "green" advocate out there. If batteries from electric vehicles do more harm to the ground than those of ICE vehicles, electric vehicle owners should not only pay fees as you say, but more fees than those of ICE vehicle owners.

Also, to the cut both ways argument, those who install solar panels that in some degree reduce the need for larger centralized electrical infrastructure should pay less to upgrade that infrastructure.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
People that state "the science is settled" do not understand science. I'm amazed that in this day and age this basic fundamental rule of science has to be explained.

Jeep Wrangler JL Electric Jeep Wrangler EV to be called "MAGNETO" Concept? 1613149496989

Currently most science is pointing to climate change a combo of man made carbon coupled with the pre-existing trend of warming up from the last ice age that literally just happened yesterday in the grand scheme of these cycles. The rate of change in temp has increased dramatically, no doubt. I'm pretty thankful it's not going the other way, an ice age would damn near be the end of us.
Gary, your cartoon tends to put on the same level theories that were made when less scientific methods and tools were available as they are today. The theory of global warming, or more precisely what's causing it may be wrong, but never have independent scientists gotten behind a theory like it as much as the other examples you sight. Truth is it is likely correct in whole or major part, including what's causing it, and we have a finite amount of the fuel that's causing it compared to the expected capacity and longevity of the sun, even if somehow the CO2 producing fuel was found to be harmless here.

(True, finding CO2 producing fuels harmless would slow the speed at which we need to transition.)

With time, like many theories it may be tweaked. We my find that the cause and effect between CO2 and heat is more or less correlated under certain currently unknown circumstances. Heck, the theory could even be wrong but we can't afford to assume anything other than it being correct.

pablo_max3045

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
Occupation
Engineering project manager
I am personally a bug fan of electric drive trains, though I am not a huge fan of current batteries, given their massive weight.
I still think that fuelcells will ultimately win out, despite what space Karen (Musk) has to say about them.
The Hydrogen storage problem is well on the way to being solved. Powerpaste is one example. A company over here has figured out a way to turn hydrogen into a paste by "cooking" it with magnesium and then mixing it with some other bits. Components wise, it*s cheap to make.
You then squirt that paste into a chamber that mixes with water to release the hydrogen and it also steals the hydrogen from the water so the power density is even higher.
Also, it's full stable even at high temps... so you could carry extra packs of the stuff with you for extended range travel in the bush.

https://www.electrive.com/2021/02/02/fraunhofer-develops-hydrogen-storage-paste/