Sponsored

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Xtreme Recon 2022 Ford Bronco
Yep, I could see a place for it. Trailered to the trailhead and with 100mi or so of range off-road with the type of throttling that requires it could be ideal.
I wouldn't doubt in the future there will be electric charging stations at major trail heads.
Sponsored

Reactions: LCW

Rubi SoHo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR-XR
Occupation
Physician
I wouldn't doubt in the future there will be electric charging stations at major trail heads.
They have one of the official Jeep ones in Moab apparently. Should be fun to see how many 4Xeā€™s are there waiting in line to use it this week. Not that there arenā€™t non-jeep stations elsewhere.

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
An inverter generator that can do 50 amps of 240 constant is crazy expensive, so youā€™d be stuck with a loud one soothing you to sleep.
I wouldn't say crazy expensive. This Westinghouse 28kw has 2x50A 240V outlets and the power to charge 2 vehicles at once. All for $3500. It's got enough run time on a full tank to charge 2Ɨ 70kwh batteries from 0 to 100% in about 6 hours. If the Magneto were available in its current configuration I'd mount one of these on the trailer and tow the Jeep to the trail head with a full charge for longer camping/ wheeling trips. You'd effectively be at the trail head with 3 full charges available even if you didn't bring extra fuel.
Screenshot_20220409-134019_Chrome.jpg

Rubigone

First Name
Marvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Just give me that tailgate for my 4 door JL, dayum that šŸ‘ is fine.

2nd 392

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grand Cherokee srt.V10 Dodge 4x
Just give me that tailgate for my 4 door JL, dayum that šŸ‘ is fine.
I hope they never offer it, especially not with Willys on it! I would make another stupid Jeep purchase, cost of painting, and bumper with spare carrier just to cover it with the spare.:facepalm::piggybank:

Sponsored

IQ_imbalance

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLU Rubicon 3.0d
When the heck are they going to stop trying to make a drag racer and instead get us some useful range (like 400 miles+)?

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
Are those manual hubs on the front? I'd much rather go back to those than rely on the FAD motor working offroad.

Reactions: LCW

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
When the heck are they going to stop trying to make a drag racer and instead get us some useful range (like 400 miles+)?
The 0-60 times are just an easy metric to show power to weight ratio and torque which is useful in any type of driving. From merging into freeway traffic to blasting through mud holes power is 100% relevant. Not to mention it's a concept vehicle not some pre-production prototype. A 400 mile range would be awesome but wouldn't be at all impressive in a concept vehicle if it didn't have ridiculous performance or edgy looks to go with it. The thing is supposed to create a buzz with media and traditional car guys, not people looking to buy a wrangler as a practical commuter. The long ranges are coming, from prototype tesla with 700 mile ranges to lucid aire's already available with a 500 mile range, exciting for long term future owners, but meaningless to the industry insiders who will get ~10 minutes behind the wheel of the Magneto at EJS. That's where the ridiculous power and acceleration shine.

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
If these guys already have this...it's more than a concept.
Jeep may not want to kill 4xe sales, it could be out for 2023?
That video is last year's Magneto concept.

Range wasn't rated, obviously, but Tommy was estimating (I'm assuming it was an informed estimate) of 150 miles.

Given that this concept also has a 70 kW/h battery, range would probably be similar, unless the unique motor mentioned is significantly more efficient somehow.

Harta97

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sport Altitude Sarge Green
I would buy this Magneto 2.0 in a heart beat if Jeep would ever produce the dam thing!! And assuming they don't price gouge us like they did with the 392!!

Jeep Wrangler JL EJS 2022: Jeep Wrangler Magneto 2.0 Concept Screenshot_20220409-134019_Chrome
It would be great if they offered it in all models from sport up. I wouldā€™ve bought a 4xe if they offered it in a sport altitude which is what my Jeep is and then it wouldā€™ve been cheaper for me to get it.

Sponsored

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
You see these? Thatā€™s 300 miles of range I can carry with me (5 gallons x 6 cans x 10 mpg off-road). Until thereā€™s an EV equivalent, or EVs have obnoxious range in the 600+ mile range, Iā€™d have range anxiety off-road. And I donā€™t want to buy a vehicle that makes me anxious.

Jeep Wrangler JL EJS 2022: Jeep Wrangler Magneto 2.0 Concept 28438DB4-9E3E-46A5-8AE4-42D93C40245A

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
You see these? Thatā€™s 300 miles of range I can carry with me (5 gallons x 6 cans x 10 mpg off-road). Until thereā€™s an EV equivalent, or EVs have obnoxious range in the 600+ mile range, Iā€™d have range anxiety off-road. And I donā€™t want to buy a vehicle that makes me anxious.

Jeep Wrangler JL EJS 2022: Jeep Wrangler Magneto 2.0 Concept 28438DB4-9E3E-46A5-8AE4-42D93C40245A
Do you really carry 30 gallons of extra fuel and ~300 extra lbs when you go wheeling? I have yet to see a trail that is anywhere near needing that kind of capacity carried in/on the Jeep. Even the Mojave road is only 100 miles (with the 2.0t we had over a half tank left after running it the entire way from Nevada to Barstow) and passes within a couple miles of a gas station several times along the way? Of course the generator I linked above carries 17 gallons of fuel, enough to charge an EV like the magneto twice. Thereā€™s your 300 extra miles of range and likely similar in weight and difficulty transporting as 6 Jerry cans.

FinnCustomKnives

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon Ecodiesel
If only the Diesel engine didnā€™t use more of that energy producing heat than it does producing powerā€¦That is the true problem with ICE vehicles, massive inefficiency. If we could some how harness 80%+ of the energy contained in a gallon of fuel we would see triple digit fuel economy and ranges of thousands of miles. At 100% efficiency, burning 1 gallon of gas would produce 47k horsepower, a gallon of diesel would produce 54k horsepower. Meanwhile teslaā€˜s motors are between 90-94% efficiencyā€¦
100% agreed but you just showed exactly why it's a problem. Electric ac induction motors are definitely, without question, MUCH more efficient. However that means that they have almost nowhere to go in terms of gains. The only gains you will ever see with them is not the motor itself but the energy storage solution which has a LONG way to go to reach parity and batteries have been being developed as long as internal combustion engines have if not longer.
I am not saying it will never happen by any means, but to think this is going to happen anytime in the near future is foolish at best.

Last edited:

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
100% agreed but you just showed exactly why it's a problem. Electric ac induction motors are definitely, without question, MUCH more efficient. However that means that they have almost nowhere to go in terms of gains. The only gains you will ever see with them is not the motor itself but the energy storage solution which has a LONG way to go to reach parity and batteries have been being developed as long as internal combustion engines have if not longer.
I am not saying it will never happen by any means, but to think this is going to happen anytime in the near future is foolish at best.
I guess it depends on how you define parity. Iā€™d say range is the ultimate measure of parity over total energy capacity. The efficiency of a BEV means it simply needs far less stored energy to accomplish the same range. A JL has an effective range of ~320 miles. There are many EVā€™s on the market that far exceed that. If the parity already exists, Iā€™d say arguing that it wonā€™t happen is simply burying your head in the sand for the sake of being resistant to change. All Jeep has to do is drop the hold over ICE layout of front engine/trans/transfer case and go motor on axle and thereā€™s enough room between the body and frame to fit a 130kwh battery pack in the current set up that would get its range close to if not exceeding the current gas models.

Toycrusher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I love this concept. I have a Zuki Samurai on 33s that's been waiting for a salvage EV for just this sort of conversion.

Unfortunate fact is, that although electric motors are fantastic, batteries are horrible. I read some comments about giving the Wrangler a 135kw battery. The weight of bumpers and skid plates are enough to degrade performance in many scenarios. Imagine a Wrangler that's 2000 pounds heavier!

Yes, some EVs get 300 miles of range out of a 100kw pack, but those range numbers are always city driving. Just look at the hummer, it has something like under 200 mile range at 80mph with a 200kw pack! Don't imagine for a moment the Wrangler wouldn't be just as bad.

Yes, I still want a Magneto 2.0, but I'm not blind to reality
Sponsored