Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
Any mention of range?
Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
No, but 70 kwh battery. If you use the 4xe efficiency (probably a good bit different) maybe 100 miles.
Sounds about right. They really need to drop the transmission and transfer case. A dual motor setup would be better. Didn’t Magna start selling solid axles with electric motors?

Sponsored

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
I've been waiting to see this one. There are some things I love, and some that I don't care for.

I think it's absolutely amazing that we are getting a electric prototype that retains solid axles. I even kind of like the fact that it retains the transmission and transfer case as it shows what could be a home built electric conversion in the future when it becomes more affordable. I really like the stretched 2 door, I feel that Jeep should have produced this as the standard 2 dr. And I really like the minimal bumpers.

I only have a few minor complaints and mostly it's design related. That ugly B pillar. That was a bad call. Does not flow with the rest of the design, and worse reminds me of a full size Bronco from 1977. The goofy led lights between the headlights. Just stop trying to make this a thing. The Jeep brand and especially the Wrangler already have a defined style, stop trying to make it hip by adding LED lights in a unique place. The Wagoneer concept looked like it had a unibrow because of these goofy lights. The holes in the fenders are ridiculous. They have been used on several concepts over the past few years, but they are a ridiculous idea. As soon as you drive through some water or mud, it's going to be flung all over the side and windows.

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
  • Custom-built axial flux electric motor that operates up to 5,250 rpm
That's an oddly specific RPM to choose...

First gear ratio in the manual transmission is changed from 5.13 to 3.36.
Probably a whole new transmission. The regular 6-speed would disintegrate with 850 lb-ft of torque.

A new electric powertrain calibration maintains the peak amperage for up to 10 seconds – think of it as electronic nitrous oxide – which lets the Magneto 2.0 bolt from 0-60 mph in 2 seconds.
So is this thing AWD? And did they actually test the 2-second 0-60 or is it just the drivetrain that's theoretically capable of these speeds?

Traction is a major issue for anything that fast, and I can't believe that this would actually hook-up. Even if it did, the (extended) 2-door length and high COG might mean pulling the front wheels, which would lead to less traction...

I'm thinking BS on the 0-60.

Sponsored

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur
.... wow it has the energy equivalent of just over 2 gallons of diesel
If only the Diesel engine didn’t use more of that energy producing heat than it does producing power…That is the true problem with ICE vehicles, massive inefficiency. If we could some how harness 80%+ of the energy contained in a gallon of fuel we would see triple digit fuel economy and ranges of thousands of miles. At 100% efficiency, burning 1 gallon of gas would produce 47k horsepower, a gallon of diesel would produce 54k horsepower. Meanwhile tesla‘s motors are between 90-94% efficiency…

AnnDee4444

Threads
Reaction score
'18 JLR 2.0
If only the Diesel engine didn’t use more of that energy producing heat than it does producing power…That is the true problem with ICE vehicles, massive inefficiency. If we could some how harness 80%+ of the energy contained in a gallon of fuel we would see triple digit fuel economy and ranges of thousands of miles. At 100% efficiency, burning 1 gallon of gas would produce 47k horsepower, a gallon of diesel would produce 54k horsepower. Meanwhile tesla‘s motors are between 90-94% efficiency…
Somewhat related:

F1's much-beloved old V10 engines only operated with about 30-percent thermal efficiency. When the V6 turbo era began in 2014, AMG's engine converted 44-percent of its fuel into power. With the increase in thermal efficiency between 2014 and now, AMG's power unit effectively makes 109 more horsepower using the same amount of fuel.

DaveNH

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Sonata
Any mention of range?
It has the same 70 kw/h capacity battery as last year's concept.

Per this TFL video (starting 6:26), Tommy says that one was estimated to be around 150 miles, and that was on 35s.

Karnak

First Name
Yan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL 3.6 Sport S - 2 door
Occupation
government
Vehicle Showcase
I can't imagine how terrifying it would be to go 0-60 in 2 sec behind the wheel of a 2 door Wrangler.

Was in a dual-motor Tesla S (3.2 to go 0-60). It feels a bit uncontrollable, to be honest. I would not want to have to steer while giving it full-throttle.

Well on the good side for the Magneto, they're using the same steering system we have right now on our jeeps so you won't really need to steer because they managed to keep it working exactly like the same so that comfortable feeling of dangling cartwheels we have come to love so much will be the same experience but this time with more power.... 😂
Sponsored