Jeep Wrangler JL EJS 2022: Jeep Wrangler Magneto 2.0 Concept icon6
Jeep ’41 Concept
Jeep D-Coder Concept by JPP
Jeep Bob Concept

Jeep Wrangler Magneto 2.0 Concept

Jeep Wrangler JL EJS 2022: Jeep Wrangler Magneto 2.0 Concept Magneto-HERO

A year ago, the Jeep Wrangler Magneto concept demonstrated that a battery-electric propulsion system would be true to the Wrangler’s heritage of on-road and off-road capability. A vehicle that demonstrates the Jeep brand’s dedication to Zero Emissions Freedom.

The Jeep Wrangler Magneto 2.0 is amped up – literally – creating a terrain-dominating off-roader that carries you far, far off the beaten path.

The Magneto 2.0’s powertrain basics include:
  • Custom-built axial flux electric motor that operates up to 5,250 rpm
  • Six-speed manual transmission for ultimate control over the propulsion system
  • Four lithium-ion battery packs, distributed throughout the chassis for weight balance, with a combined power of 70 kW/h, running an 800-volt system
  • An inverter derived from race cars converts DC power to AC for the high-tech motor
That’s a great start, but the Magneto 2.0 team set their sights on the “strap in and hold on with both hands” end of the performance spectrum.

Peak amperage in the propulsion system is more than doubled to 600 amps, which enables the Magneto 2.0 to instantly deliver up to 850 lb.-ft. of peak torque to the wheels – more than triple the torque output of last year’s concept – and 625 horsepower for serious rock-climbing challenges.

A new electric powertrain calibration maintains the peak amperage for up to 10 seconds – think of it as electronic nitrous oxide – which lets the Magneto 2.0 bolt from 0-60 mph in 2 seconds.

First gear ratio in the manual transmission is changed from 5.13 to 3.36. When combined with the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon’s Rock-Trac transfer case, the Magneto 2.0 demonstrates unequaled rock-crawling capability with its instant on-demand torque delivery. A driver-selectable maximum regeneration function added to the propulsion system offers a true “one-pedal” driving experience.

Getting all that torque to the ground calls for some hardware upgrades.

It starts with 12 inches added to the wheelbase of the two-door Wrangler body style, creating some extra room for powertrain components and giving the Magneto 2.0 proportions similar to the “LJ” Wrangler Unlimited from 2004-06. Augmenting that stretch are a custom 3-inch lift kit and 40-inch off-road tires mounted on 20-inch wheels.

The stout, off-road specific chassis setup includes a Dynatrac 60 Pro-Rock front axle and a massive Pro-Rock Dynatrac 80 rear axle with a 5.38 ratio and lockers for both axles, custom driveshaft and an off-road suspension.

Custom, lightweight bumpers replace the factory units, front and rear. Carbon-fiber wheel flares, front and rear, cover the wide tires without adding much weight. These elements enhance the Magneto 2.0’s approach and departure angles on the trail.

Surf Blue paint, a custom carbon-fiber B-pillar, custom bikini top and carbon-fiber hood give Magneto 2.0 a powerful look. The custom hood includes a blue-tinted, transparent window that gives a view of the power unit underneath.

VIDEO:

PHOTOS:

Jeep Wrangler JL EJS 2022: Jeep Wrangler Magneto 2.0 Concept Screen Shot 2022-04-08 at 8.45.24 AM

Jeep Wrangler JL EJS 2022: Jeep Wrangler Magneto 2.0 Concept Magneto-HERO

Jeep Wrangler JL EJS 2022: Jeep Wrangler Magneto 2.0 Concept Screen Shot 2022-04-08 at 9.20.27 AM

Jeep Wrangler JL EJS 2022: Jeep Wrangler Magneto 2.0 Concept message-editor_1649376772497-20

icon6.png
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

smokeythecat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys Sport 2-door, 2019 Mini Cooper S
I am probably the only person who doesn't care how fast my car goes from 0 to 60 m.p.h. Especially my Jeep. It is worth noting that the video linked to above claims 6.8 seconds, not 2 seconds.

Apart from the 0-60 metric, I will say that looks like one cool concept Jeep. I'm interested.

Cavs42

First Name
Owen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
It is worth noting that the video linked to above claims 6.8 seconds, not 2 seconds.
The article explains that the 6.8 seconds was the Magneto 1.0, and the 2 seconds is for the Magneto 2.0. Both are unverifiable claims at this point, but definitely faster than I'd want to accelerate in my lifted brick!!

Sponsored

Jeepney Johnny

First Name
Rico!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
I'll never say no to more power and acceleration. I haven't ridden in anything "Plaid", but my guess is the seat of the pants feeling is similar to the "Superman" rides at the various Six Flags Magic Mountain amusement parks. Those are fun.

The intriguing thing to me is the seemingly simplicity of the electric conversion here. Four-wheel steering, crab-walking, tank-turning, trail-assisting is cool and all, but it's more stuff to go wrong, IMHO. Just dropping in batteries and electric motor and keeping everything else "dumb" is appealing to me. I guess the only thing to worry about is bringing enough extension cords to recharge a dead battery vehicle deep in the boondocks.

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Xtreme Recon 2022 Ford Bronco
I would buy this Magneto 2.0 in a heart beat if Jeep would ever produce the dam thing!! And assuming they don't price gouge us like they did with the 392!!

jeep-wrangler-magneto-2-0-concept.jpg

Sponsored

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe

GATORB8

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLURe
I would buy this Magneto 2.0 in a heart beat if Jeep would ever produce the dam thing!! And assuming they don't price gouge us like they did with the 392!!

Jeep Wrangler JL EJS 2022: Jeep Wrangler Magneto 2.0 Concept spies 1.JPG
Just noticed there is a "window" in the front flares in this picture.

JeepViking13

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Willys Xtreme Recon 2022 Ford Bronco
Just noticed there is a "window" in the front flares in this picture.
That's to throw mud in your face so you get the full off road experience. Lol..

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase

Zandcwhite

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 jlur

jeep-wrangler-magneto-2-0-concept.jpg
I'd buy this at $80k+ tomorrow if it were available. Better wheelbase and breakover than a 4dr with the extra space and hill stability of a 12" stretch over a standard JL. Add in ridiculous power and torque with true 0 rpm crawl ability. Sign me up.
Sponsored